The Astronomy Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone making plans to try and see the eclipse on 8/21?

Next one in North America is in 2024. Might try and use my flight benefits and catch it in Kansas City.

21stCenturyNorthAmericanEclipses

Wife and I might drive up to the portland one.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Anyone making plans to try and see the eclipse on 8/21?

Next one in North America is in 2024. Might try and use my flight benefits and catch it in Kansas City.

Yep, probably gonna wake up early morning Monday and drive as far south as we can get before it happens. Should be able to get to Missouri no problem.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Why can't they get closer in orbit? I really want to see those fuckers up close.

I think once you get closer you can't get back further out too easily? Cassini got some awesome close-ups of Saturn when they decided to lower it far enough and plunge it into the clouds at the end of it's life cycle. I'd imagine the same will happen here

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
I have to travel 2 miles SW to see total eclipse. Guess that explains another site I saw weeks ago that said I would witness 98.7% from my exact location. I assumed that was as good as it gets. Turn out I am directly on the path line of total.

• 1Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I have to go downstate from Chicago. I'm thinking about going. I guess there is another one in 2024.

• 1Like

Cybsled

I'm in NE, so any drive would be insane for me. I want to see if, but driving 15+ hours = meh. 2024 has one that will be visible in upper NY state and VT, so I may have to settle for that one. Only shit thing is it happens in April, which means higher chance of bad weather ;/

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
its from AOL so you know its gotta be true
Conspiracy theorist warns solar eclipse will signal the coming of Nibiru and the end of our planet
If there's anything that you've simply been dying to do or see, you'd best get it done soon.

According to conspiracy theorist David Meade, our planet will cease to exist as we know it in September 2017.

Meade's bizarre and unfounded theory claims that immediately after the upcoming total solar eclipse on August 21, the mythical planet Nibiru, or Planet X, will appear on the horizon and begin it's month-long collision course with Earth, arriving in late September to actually end the world.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Sentagur

Low and to the left
<Silver Donator>
its from AOL so you know its gotta be true
Conspiracy theorist warns solar eclipse will signal the coming of Nibiru and the end of our planet
If there's anything that you've simply been dying to do or see, you'd best get it done soon.

According to conspiracy theorist David Meade, our planet will cease to exist as we know it in September 2017.

Meade's bizarre and unfounded theory claims that immediately after the upcoming total solar eclipse on August 21, the mythical planet Nibiru, or Planet X, will appear on the horizon and begin it's month-long collision course with Earth, arriving in late September to actually end the world.
Why in the fuck is this even a story, are they going to interview the local hobo who thinks the fridge box he is living in is possessed by Nixon next.
What insights might the Nixon hobo box have on the Russia connection and what can we learn from a shopping car full of empty beer cans?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users