The Astronomy Thread

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Anyone know a good Flat Earth forum? I want their hot takes on today.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I've already seen people on social media say the car with the planet was some decent CGI but not movie quality( I shit you not )

I posted in pol thread alluding to the whole presentation looking like is was made with the Star Citizen Online Demo engine. grphx package , fonts, ultra hi res vid, it almost looks fake.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
That video of the failures had several that also ran out of propellant in the past. I wonder if it was due to the longer burn and distance than the other 2( miscalculation or maybe the burn was more important than saving fuel for landing during mission ). The center core burned for about a minute longer than the 2 boosters before stage 2 booster.

I posted in pol thread alluding to the whole presentation looking like is was made with the Star Citizen Online Demo engine. grphx package , fonts, ultra hi res vid, it almost looks fake.
That is the funny part of it all. It does look fake but at the same time I was laughing at some of them like tell me REALLY what a car looks like with Earth behind it in space.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
That video of the failures had several that also ran out of propellant in the past. I wonder if it was due to the longer burn and distance than the other 2( miscalculation or maybe the burn was more important than saving fuel for landing during mission ). The center core burned for about a minute longer than the 2 boosters before stage 2 booster.

That is the funny part of it all. It does look fake but at the same time I was laughing at some of them like tell me REALLY what a car looks like with Earth behind it in space.

Welp Musk is not helping to stop disbelief by making the whole thing into a love letter to HHGTTG and the first Heavy Metal movie. I mean only thing he didnt do is walk around in Ripley's exoskeleton loader carrying the monolith from A Space Odyssey.

• 4Worf
  • 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
you know, i just now realized -- i used to work in a factory that made parts for Tesla.

there's like a 0.0001% chance that a part i made is in space lol.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
you know, i just now realized -- i used to work in a factory that made parts for Tesla.

Fuck you, you made all those parts! Tell every chick in every bar you ever go to, you glorious bastard!

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Theres no payload for SLS aside from Orion.

But we already had a Orion launch vehicle, the Ares I.

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
  • Put my car into orbit: check!

Gotta wonder what else is on Elon Musk's bucket list!

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
  • Put my car into orbit: check!
Gotta wonder what else is on Elon Musk's bucket list!

chairface_chippendale_by_daruma42.jpg

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

decided to actually do the math on this. all-time Tesla sales totals are way smaller than i thought they were. and i made a whole lot of hoodliners while i was there. i'd say odds are actually more like 5%.

and made $10.50 an hour doing it, sigh.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
In what state/area do you make $10.50 working on Teslas? Poorest state in the union here and the McDonalds here starts at $11.00 to be competitive enough to get workers. At least they did less than a year ago. But I'm pretty sure the McDonalds is a loss leader for the complex it is in.

I haven't really followed the space-x deal. What do they use for stabilzation on the way back down vertially? Small thrusters or combination with other stuff?

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The Expanse season 3 better include the Roadster as an Easter Egg. Some belters driving it around as a trophy.
The MRN already has a ship called the Mark Whatney, I expect them to have the roadster on display at Londres Nova (the capital)...

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Is there any advantage to the SLS? Besides it will be ready to test sooner (I don't expect NASA to beat space X to a fully functional system by any useful margin)?

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Twitter speculation that Jupiter could eventually eject the Tesla from the solar system, interstellar space junk!

After a few thousand years the orbit gets really eccentric (less and less like a circle). I need orbital images to really make sense of some of this stuff though.

It certainly won't be around for a billion or whatever years like the expected Mars heliocentric orbit (orbit around the sun, reaching at times as far as the orbit of Mars)

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
INB4 a teeny space rock knocks his speedster out of its orbit they lose track of it and his first Mars shot plows into like a coffee table corner in a dark room

• 1Like