The Astronomy Thread

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Hit at 500km/h, and intact.

Goddamn

That was the previous falcon 9 launch, they were going to ditch the core but decided to see if they could soft land on the ocean as a test. That FH center core is toast, it hit the water and turned into shrapnel damaging the drone ship.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
That was the previous falcon 9 launch, they were going to ditch the core but decided to see if they could soft land on the ocean as a test. That FH center core is toast, it hit the water and turned into shrapnel damaging the drone ship.

That's what I thought, then saw the post and thought it was the same one.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Whelp, fuck it I guess I gotta go to Florida. I wanna see that in person.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rime

<Donor>
b47evuy0n0f01.png

• 6Worf
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 8 users

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I thought the car paint would blister but I guess I know nothing about space physics.

• 1Like

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
Anyone know a good Flat Earth forum? I want their hot takes on today.

The big question is "Why aren't there any stars in the Starman live feed?"

Follow-up question: "Why aren't the clouds moving?"

You're welcome.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I thought the car paint would blister but I guess I know nothing about space physics.
Musk said they did exactly nothing to help it survive space, but I think he's bullshitting and they threw a coat of whatever on the upholstery and gave it a paint job.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Isn't blistering caused by moisture under the paint, though? It could just be the way they painted the roadster had a minimal amount of that happening. Either that or the space environment is making the moisture act differently.

It was also rotating as it coasted away from Earth, which would have helped maintain a stable temperature, so to speak.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Why would paint blister on the car? Is it painted in a different manner than the rockets/satellites/ISS/etc? Seems like we'd know if paint blisters from space by now. I'd expect a car paint job to withstand even better because I'm assuming the clear coat adds additional protection and I'm doubting they clear coat the other things i mentioned.

• 1Like

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Why would paint blister on the car? Is it painted in a different manner than the rockets/satellites/ISS/etc? Seems like we'd know if paint blisters from space by now. I'd expect a car paint job to withstand even better because I'm assuming the clear coat adds additional protection and I'm doubting they clear coat the other things i mentioned.

Regular auto paint would fail just from fast shifts in broad temperatures. painting a 747 requires specialty coatings that can handle temp changes from below zero to almost boiling in the span of a minute. Dark side / Light side temp differences are radically different in space.

• 1Like

Rabkorik

Silver Knight of the Realm
So I'm assuming based on the 'last picture' we aren't going to get a stream of Mars? Damnit.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So I'm assuming based on the 'last picture' we aren't going to get a stream of Mars? Damnit.
I was kind of hoping they would have it send out a 30s clip once a day or something, but I think they were totally focused on the actual launch and not "elon's fucking retarded car he has the shove in for laughs".

• 1Like

Cybsled

They would have needed a boosted antenna and all sorts of other stuff to boost from way out there.

• 1Like