Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Relative velocities are a cool thing. Watching slow, detailed movements align the capsule while the earth spins at a billion miles an hour just beneath it is great.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Thanks, but I'm not asking about equipment, I'm asking what you are doing when you use the telescope and why do you enjoy it?

Best way to use telescope is coupled with a DSLR and a good star tracker to take some nice long exposures of some galaxies, nebula, shit like that. Gazing at stars and planets are one thing, but actually having it captured on a DSLR over time brings those things to life like nothing else.

Wide Field and Telephoto | Astrophotography in Urban Environment

• 1Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
  • 2Blown
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
This is awesome.

SPHERE Reveals Fascinating Zoo of Discs Around Young Stars

The SPHERE instrument on ESO’s Very Large Telescope (VLT) in Chile allows astronomers to suppress the brilliant light of nearby stars in order to obtain a better view of the regions surrounding them. This collection of new SPHERE images is just a sample of the wide variety of dusty discs being found around young stars.

1523459832043.png

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Best way to use telescope is coupled with a DSLR and a good star tracker to take some nice long exposures of some galaxies, nebula, shit like that. Gazing at stars and planets are one thing, but actually having it captured on a DSLR over time brings those things to life like nothing else.

Wide Field and Telephoto | Astrophotography in Urban Environment

Thanks for the reply. I guess I just can't relate. To me the idea of seeing it on your computer decouples it even more from the experience, to the point where it seems like you could just google and get 100x better pictures of whatever it is you're trying to photograph with your thousands of dollars worth of equipment. I feel the same way about people that get expensive cameras and take pictures of the moon or do macro shots of a bumble bee or something. Sure it's technically challenging, but what you're producing is just a worse version of a million pictures you can see for free on the internet.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Thanks for the reply. I guess I just can't relate. To me the idea of seeing it on your computer decouples it even more from the experience, to the point where it seems like you could just google and get 100x better pictures of whatever it is you're trying to photograph with your thousands of dollars worth of equipment. I feel the same way about people that get expensive cameras and take pictures of the moon or do macro shots of a bumble bee or something. Sure it's technically challenging, but what you're producing is just a worse version of a million pictures you can see for free on the internet.

I mean I guess you can look at it that way. I mean shit, we have the hubble, so whatever you do in you home telescope setup will be nothing short of shit compared to that. /shrug

What I was trying to get at is not necessarily the setup or techical stuff, (but learning and perfecting the technical process is fun itself) but if you are a astro buff and like to look through telescope, a camera and astro tracker allows you to amplify what you see 100x with your naked eye. Because those long exposures, exposure stacking and tracker will basically capture billions more photons over time on a highly sensitive. So say you find some cool looking nebula cloud, you can just look at it naked eye and say cool, next...Photography and astro stuff is just the next step/leap from just gazing through the telescope. Its a hobby, just like any other hobby. You could say what you said about any hobby really. Why build that model car from scratch kit, when you can just go and buy a die cast professionally factory made one that looks 1000x better? Why try to make those smoked meats at home when I can just go out and get professopnally cooked ones on some BBQ place....

I dont do the telescope thing, but I do the wide field milky way at night, in some dark corner of the woods with no light pollution star photography. Just began a few years ago and getting better and better results the more I learn and read up on the process. Yep, my stuff is crap compared to some shit I see on the web, but its MY crap, created by me. And its also cool to involve my kids in it, summer, up in my N michigan cabin, staying up till 2-3AM taking the golf cart to some remote field in the woods, setting up and taking some shots while gazing at the beauty of the star filled sky at night.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
There's just something special about being able to view something up in the sky through an eye piece and resolving moons, rings or a cloud of dust and gas far off in space.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
This is awesome.

SPHERE Reveals Fascinating Zoo of Discs Around Young Stars

The SPHERE instrument on ESO’s Very Large Telescope (VLT) in Chile allows astronomers to suppress the brilliant light of nearby stars in order to obtain a better view of the regions surrounding them. This collection of new SPHERE images is just a sample of the wide variety of dusty discs being found around young stars.

View attachment 164625

Some really interesting shapes there. A new branch of cosmology was just created boys! Pretty exciting.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I mean I guess you can look at it that way. I mean shit, we have the hubble, so whatever you do in you home telescope setup will be nothing short of shit compared to that. /shrug

What I was trying to get at is not necessarily the setup or techical stuff, (but learning and perfecting the technical process is fun itself) but if you are a astro buff and like to look through telescope, a camera and astro tracker allows you to amplify what you see 100x with your naked eye. Because those long exposures, exposure stacking and tracker will basically capture billions more photons over time on a highly sensitive. So say you find some cool looking nebula cloud, you can just look at it naked eye and say cool, next...Photography and astro stuff is just the next step/leap from just gazing through the telescope. Its a hobby, just like any other hobby. You could say what you said about any hobby really. Why build that model car from scratch kit, when you can just go and buy a die cast professionally factory made one that looks 1000x better? Why try to make those smoked meats at home when I can just go out and get professopnally cooked ones on some BBQ place....

I dont do the telescope thing, but I do the wide field milky way at night, in some dark corner of the woods with no light pollution star photography. Just began a few years ago and getting better and better results the more I learn and read up on the process. Yep, my stuff is crap compared to some shit I see on the web, but its MY crap, created by me. And its also cool to involve my kids in it, summer, up in my N michigan cabin, staying up till 2-3AM taking the golf cart to some remote field in the woods, setting up and taking some shots while gazing at the beauty of the star filled sky at night.

I'm not trying to shit on it. If you're having fun, more power to you. I don't think it's for me though, I would rather just lay on my back and contemplate the entire sky and look for the ISS or meteors or whatever. What I meant with the technical photography thing is that I just don't feel like there's anything artistic or interesting about a super clear picture of the moon because it just looks like every other picture of the moon, but not quite as good because you don't have the best gear in the world. To me, photography is about capturing a moment or conveying an emotion and there's just none of that in a stunningly clear picture of the moon or an ant's antennas that you can't just see on google.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
jupiter's north pole is made of sicilian style pizza still baking in the oven

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Interesting talk about the upcoming TESS mission (exoplanet finder) due for launch next week.

Skip to 4:15 for start of talk

• 1Like