The Astronomy Thread

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
Gaia creates richest star map of our Galaxy—and beyond

The new data release, which covers the period between 25 July 2014 and 23 May 2016, pins down the positions of nearly 1.7 billion stars, and with a much greater precision. For some of the brightest stars in the survey, the level of precision equates to Earth-bound observers being able to spot a Euro coin lying on the surface of the Moon.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
A great question of our times: Where will be The Tesla in 200 years?

And the answer is "maybe starman will go check Voyager1?"

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
An extremely good video about rocket exhaust. "Once you've seen it, you can't unsee it" (and he's right; mach rings ftw)

Beware: french accent.

• 2Like

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
That website sure is white. The asteroid mining thing always seems sketchy to me. Assuming you spend a billion dollars capturing and mining an asteroid but get 2 billion dollars worth of precious metals from it. Isn't dumping that much of a rare commodity on the market going to cause prices to crash?

That really depends on a) the actual scarcity of the raw materials, and b) the application of the materials. Doubling the supply of a truly rare commodity would still leave the raw material fucking rare, and putting twice as much of the end result into the market would basically advertise itself. Doubling the supply of an artificially "rare" commodity (say diamonds for example) would demolish the artificially inflated market in a heartbeat, but it may also open up new markets due to its availability in quantities unavailable before.

In a nutshell, in the short term, people who can make asteroid mining happen will also be smart enough to judge what quantities of which materials they can bring to market and maximize profits.

In the long term, assuming capitalism is a thing that exists in the future, the actual availability of specific resources in all of the mineable asteroids will influence what is and what isn't treated as a rare commodity here on Earth, but keep in mind that the entire main asteroid belt put together is only like 5% of the mass of the Moon. So being able to use those materials without bringing them back to or lifting them up from Earth's surface is the real end game. Exactly like the undocumented immigrants that flooded into America before the US existed, asteroid miners are going to create new supplies, new demands, and invent new industries to fill new needs that have never existed before. Eventually.

Or maybe they'll all die of dysentery, Idk.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
That website sure is white. The asteroid mining thing always seems sketchy to me. Assuming you spend a billion dollars capturing and mining an asteroid but get 2 billion dollars worth of precious metals from it. Isn't dumping that much of a rare commodity on the market going to cause prices to crash?

Yes. But the value in it is for building in space, so you don't have to launch materials.

community college

Not saying that matters, but it might.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Anyone tried great courses plus, or brilliance? I think that is what they are called. Basically online classes for no credit. PBS side time and answers with Joe advertise then.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
BrutulTM BrutulTM I've pumped asteroid mining a lot in this thread, and there really is a huge upside to it for both on-planet industry and off-planet. It really is the real pathway we have to get off this rock.

But until we make real strides in propulsion tech it's going to be really hard to go millions of miles away, mine some platinum and rutheneum and get it back to earth or earth-orbit. It might be that humanity spends billions of dollars in asteroid mining and a huge part of that investment is propulsion tech that gets us there. Or it might be that in thirty years and a trillion dollars later we're still using rocket fuel we pull from the ground because there's nothing else and our efforts to convert water from asteroids / helium3 on the moon aren't panning out.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Tuco Tuco BrutulTM BrutulTM

This, iirc, is what we need to bring large volumes back to Earth. Or some near physics breaking new tech.

What's the estimate for how much $$$ it would take in today's technology to create an orbital ring? And how does an orbital ring allow us to bring an asteroid from the asteroid belt to Earth's orbit?

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist
you'd need to drag carbonaceous rocks to orbit to produce that much graphene and CNT for those structures. While theyve found a few out there, it's definitely rarer and needs to be refined out of methane/compex organics ice which would require a fairly sophisticated refinement chain to exist in orbit. On the plus side, gas-centrifuge production for graphene is probably ideally done in zero g.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
What's the estimate for how much $$$ it would take in today's technology to create an orbital ring? And how does an orbital ring allow us to bring an asteroid from the asteroid belt to Earth's orbit?

Creating an orbital ring is probably not worth the effort. By the time we have the technology and supplies to build something so large successfully, we almost certainly wont need it as a fix for the problems it would supposedly eliminate.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>

Bringing it to orbit isn't an issue, unless you want it done fast. The ring is to get the rare materials back to the ground.

With BFR launch costs, prolly a decade of "war"? I honestly have no idea. I don't see it ever happening TBH. To fragile, takes to long, costs to much, won't further enough agendas etc etc etc

Edit:. In truth, there is no real benefit to bringing rare materials to Earth. Not en masse.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Creating an orbital ring is probably not worth the effort. By the time we have the technology and supplies to build something so large successfully, we almost certainly wont need it as a fix for the problems it would supposedly eliminate.

I think we have the tech to build it now. It's been a year or so since I watched that specific video.

I agree tho, with a decent orbital infrastructure you can skip it. Just have to get manufacturing off the Earth.

• 1Like