The Astronomy Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Drifting in space eh? Looks like I just finished working on my telescope to see the impending doom.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hosix

All labs matter!
Oh for fuck sakes.
This is only going to greatly encourage those fuckin Nibiru crazies.

This made me chuckle. I just watched one of those end of the world shows on American History Channel. It discussed Nibiru heavily.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
lol @ Ice Burn, that's great.

Parker Solar Probe successfully launched. Delta Heavy is pretty.

DkY1p3sW0AAtAVw.jpg

7 year mission details

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I'm looking to buy a telescope for $200 or less, just to take the ocean beach at night and check out the stars - I live about 5 minutes from the Pacific and have a truck, so transport isnt that big of a problem.

I'm not sure if I need those computerized, electronic telescopes. I have a phone app that that will tell me where to point to find planets and stars. I guess I wouldnt mind seeing some Messier objects too. So my first question is whether a phone app a good enough substitute for the computerization built into the telescope itself?

I dont trust any review sites online because I think theyre mostly rigged to peddle telescope overstock.

Anyways, tell me something good.

• 1Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
I'm looking to buy a telescope for $200 or less, just to take the ocean beach at night and check out the stars - I live about 5 minutes from the Pacific and have a truck, so transport isnt that big of a problem.

I'm not sure if I need those computerized, electronic telescopes. I have a phone app that that will tell me where to point to find planets and stars. I guess I wouldnt mind seeing some Messier objects too. So my first question is whether a phone app a good enough substitute for the computerization built into the telescope itself?

I dont trust any review sites online because I think theyre mostly rigged to peddle telescope overstock.

Anyways, tell me something good.
FLIR ONE Gen 3

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Hopefully the solar panels will be intact enough after the scouring...

• 1Like

Cybsled

Even if not, the rover has had an amazing run. Putting around for 14 years by itself is an amazing feat.

It's still impressive that stuff like the Voyager probes continue to send back data/do science and they're over 40 yrs old.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users