The Astronomy Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I agree whole heatedly, but it's Tuesday and I'm trying to tint my realism with optimism.

It won't be cancelled prior to it's first launch. Best I'm hoping for is after the first launch.

There is an argument to be made for rocketry as a national security item, but that should be done from the ground up with the same reusable methods as blue origin and space x
NASA 'will eventually' retire its new mega-rocket if SpaceX, Blue Origin can safely launch their own powerful rockets

"I think our view is that if those commercial capabilities come online, we will eventually retire the government system, and just move to a buying launch capacity on those [rockets]," Stephen Jurczyk, NASA's associate administrator, told Business Insider at The Economist Space Summit on November 1.
Let's just go ahead and change your avatar now.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

Also from a couple days ago:

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Starship always implied travel between stars for me. Seems a bit like calling a vic-20 a supercomputer.

• 5Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Tuco Tuco

"In case there is any confusion, @NASA will NOT be retiring @NASA_SLS in 2022 or any foreseeable date. It is the backbone of America's return to the Moon with international and commercial partners," Bridenstine tweeted on Monday, following the initial publication of this story on Saturday.

Eh?

That was 2 sentences later... You seemed to stop reading at either an ideal or inopportune time. Depending on desired outcome.

And you act like I'd be upset if they scrapped it and went with BFR. Which isn't true either. I'd be thrilled.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
NASA's InSight lander touches down on Mars on Monday.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
I hope Bezos sticks to the rumor after he rescued The Expanse and names the first New Glenn rocket Rocinante. It doesn't even have to be a reference to the ship in the show, it's a great name for any project as quixotic as a reusable a private space program.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users