The Astronomy Thread

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

That's another fuckin planet. It blows my mind every time they pull some shit like this off. Makes me wish I was born 50 years from now. You know colonization of that planet is the next step.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
i'll start getting excited when we land a ship on mars and then it launches itself back out to come home. thats when it starts.

Without major field-changing breakthroughs in rocketry itself you're talking about a trip that would probably take decades if it's even possible.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Without major field-changing breakthroughs in rocketry itself you're talking about a trip that would probably take decades if it's even possible.
not necessarily, i mean if its a self contained ship with enough fuel for a round trip to mars, then yeah, not gonna happen for a while. but sending fuel ahead for one of our ships to dock with and refuel for the return mission is something we could do within ten years.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
not necessarily, i mean if its a self contained ship with enough fuel for a round trip to mars, then yeah, not gonna happen for a while. but sending fuel ahead for one of our ships to dock with and refuel for the return mission is something we could do within ten years.

So you want to send TWO ships to Mars, one of them a flying bomb, and you want the first ship to be capable of launching from the surface into a perfectly matched orbit with the flying bomb, dock, refuel, detach, and burn back for earth orbit and do the vast majority of this precise series of actions entirely by itself due to the communications lag between here and Mars.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
So you want to send TWO ships to Mars, one of them a flying bomb, and you want the first ship to be capable of launching from the surface into a perfectly matched orbit with the flying bomb, dock, refuel, detach, and burn back for earth orbit and do the vast majority of this precise series of actions entirely by itself due to the communications lag between here and Mars.

You forgot the part about Matt Damon acting like Iron Man by puncturing a hole in his suit

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Wait until you read about the Apollo program!

We certainly have the capability to do a sample return mission. We've had it for a long time now. Its simply a matter of the cost.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i dunno about no bombs. everything we send into space is full of fuel when it starts off. sending fuel cells into space to orbit around Mars shouldnt be too difficult if we can do the same with satellites already. all it would take is have one of our ships rendezvous with the fuel satellite and then start up an automatic refuelling program. it wouldnt take as much fuel to leave mars than it would to leave earth. lower grav and such. we have the tech right now to send a drone to Mars and have it come back if planned right over the next several years.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

Totally doable with today's tech, just needs the budget.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Totally doable with today's tech, just needs the budget.
i think gavin is thinking we are talking about some large space craft here, when all i'm talking about is something not bigger than a large model rocket that kids make in school. i just need a proof of concept. get some tiny little ship over there and bring it back. do that and then we can start thinking about making things bigger and more efficient.
Donald+Trump+Trump+Hosts+North+Carolina+Student+OUvIvP9n9d3l.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users