The Astronomy Thread

Oldbased

> Than U
There have been multiple mission designs involving manned missions to Mars. We would have been walking on Mars not long after Apollo ending if that moron Nixon didnt scrap the project in favor of the idiotic Space Shuttle.

Space Transportation System - Wikipedia
Constellation program - Wikipedia

Nuclear rockets are what we need if we ever want to send a human past the moon. Monumental mistake that we never used NERVA after perfecting the technology.

NERVA - Wikipedia
Not related to thrust but as for surviving and power in general, have you seen how efficient shit is now for JPL? That thumping heat detection drill on InSight? A few watts. The seismic sensor that covers the whole planet? Less than 9 watts. The RISE system that sends signals to earth for location and wobble detection? 78 watts. All 3 sensor packages combined is 100 watts or 1/10th a common microwave.

This is why I think SpaceX will overtake NASA on Mars if they are allowed to do so.
He has the rockets. He has the power/solar and power storage tech, including things like extremely tough solar tiles. He understands automated tunneling/mining machines and he understands electric cars. He has many pieces of the puzzle that many of the space agencies just have rockets and nothing else. If he buys into crop automation, watch out.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
A lot of things have come together recently that make fusion a lot cheaper to pursue than previous efforts.

- Magnets have gotten way more powerful, this occurred to such a degree that you can take something as big as ITER and shrink it down to something that would fit in a small building (SPARC)
- Our ability to accurately simulate plasmas and fusion reactions have gotten us to the point where we can eliminate a lot of bad designs without testing
- Material engineering has improved enough for us to produce materials that can survive the extreme conditions within the reactor for longer

These and I'm sure there are more have reduced costs enough that taking risks on designs is wasting millions instead of billions. Now we're seeing a plethora of designs coming out that are relatively cheap to build and experiment with. There are so many going on right now that it's a reasonable assumption that one or more might actually achieve net energy in the next 5-10 years. The story goes once net energy is achieved that investment in the technology will take off.

Medium term I really hope somebody figures out aneutronic fusion, which produces little to no neutrons but instead produces positively charged ions and xrays which can both be converted directly into electricity. In theory you can power thousands of homes with something that fits inside a shipping container that uses abundant materials as fuel (Hydrogen + Boron). It might even be possible to shrink something down like this to fit inside vehicles! Having cheap near limitless power production could solve most of humanities problems and it's exciting that we're finally getting close to this being a reality.

Edit: The Aneutronic designs are also interesting in that they create a beam of energy that exits the device in a controllable direction. It's possible this could be used for thrust in space craft.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
SpaceX launched today:

Stage 1 landed in the water, rather than the intended landing zone. Not clear why, after the re-entry burn it started to spin a bit and video cut away

Edit:

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Elon also said it was a mistake for them to cut away from the stage 1 even though it was experiencing an anomaly. Maybe in the future that won't happen.

Tracking shot:

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
InSight apparently got really lucky w/ the landing spot, some less favorable areas nearby.

Dt0n9m_X4AMPq9x.jpg
Dt0n-SZWsAE_ehG.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
China launched a rover to the far side of the moon today, lands in a month.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
lol you dumbasses need any more proof that the world is flat and the mars/moon landings are fake? Dumbass nasa doesn't even respect you enough to photoshop an arm in for that "selfie". The whole thing looks photoshopped anyway.

• 8Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 9 users