Raw Images | Multimedia – NASA's InSight Mars Lander

D000M0022_598503999EDR_F0000_0568M_.PNG

C000M0022_598504116EDR_F0000_0568M_.PNG

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
More Mars, but seen from orbit. The Korolev Crater (50 miles wide, 1.1 mile deep ice in the middle).

poxndc8k8jsuorwveoz5.jpg

• 14Like
Reactions: 13 users

iannis

Musty Nester
do we not have anything better than steel?

Obviously Elon knows better than me. It seems odd that we don't have anything better than steel.

I'd expect some weird heavy metal alloy is all.

3% cobalt 5% tungsten 75% iron starship!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Stainless steel - damn I bet he’s going to have a flux capacitor on that ride.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Looks a little rough. I imagine just a mock up?
He said that, given the temperatures for re-entry, there won't be any paint on that.

Otherwise, it's a view from the testbed they have in Texas. Trying a 500m launch/landing, then a 5000m one, before going on full testing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Report: ISS Hole Drilled From the Inside, Cosmonaut Says

Russian cosmonaut Sergei Prokopyev said that the mysterious hole in a Soyuz capsule docked to the International Space Station was drilled from the inside, according to the Associated Press.

Prokopyev was one of two cosmonauts who inspected the hole during an “unprecedented” spacewalk back on Dec. 11. This report is the latest in a months-long saga that’s long since turned weird.

while this might be a new development in the story, it’s not changing much. We still don’t know who drilled the hole or when, and the investigation continues. Prokopyev denied that the hole could have been drilled by an astronaut.

• 3WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I can't think of a better place to go crazy than on the ISS. Seems like it could have easily been a case of somebody spending too much time in isolation and getting a little crazy and deciding to drill a hole in the wall and see what happened. It's kind of surprising more people haven't flipped out up there. Obviously they're chosen very carefully and watched very closely but it's not a good environment for a human at all.

• 4Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I can't think of a better place to go crazy than on the ISS. Seems like it could have easily been a case of somebody spending too much time in isolation and getting a little crazy and deciding to drill a hole in the wall and see what happened.
Drilling in micro-g is surprisingly hard (trying to find a way to wedge you against the reaction to the drill torque). That's why everyone says it can't have been done while on the ISS.

• 3Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
I think your right about someone going a little crazy.
I dont see how anyone could benefit from the ISS going down besides for political purposes.

• 3Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Drilling in micro-g is surprisingly hard (trying to find a way to wedge you against the reaction to the drill torque). That's why everyone says it can't have been done while on the ISS.

but if it was done on the ground, it would have been a pretty long time ago, right? why did it not become a problem right away?

• 3Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think your right about someone going a little crazy.
I dont see how anyone could benefit from the ISS going down besides for political purposes.

I always think about all the people who volunteered for a 1-way trip to Mars a few years back. You're basically volunteering to spend the rest of your life in a winnebago. Sure you know you're in a unique place and seeing things out the window that no one has ever seen before, but after the novelty wears off there's a lot of years of sitting in a box waiting to die.

• 4Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
but if it was done on the ground, it would have been a pretty long time ago, right? why did it not become a problem right away?
Because it apparently had glue covering it. Which worked for a couple weeks, until vacuum&cold made that brittle enough that the seal broke.

• 3Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I always think about all the people who volunteered for a 1-way trip to Mars a few years back. You're basically volunteering to spend the rest of your life in a winnebago. Sure you know you're in a unique place and seeing things out the window that no one has ever seen before, but after the novelty wears off there's a lot of years of sitting in a box waiting to die.
Might be better than sitting here in my work chair waiting to die!

I'd miss my forumbros though.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Because it apparently had glue covering it. Which worked for a couple weeks, until vacuum&cold made that brittle enough that the seal broke.

ah. well, glue in space has to be difficult too, that's more evidence that points towards it being done on the ground.

still makes very little sense tho. weird stuff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user