The Astronomy Thread

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

That's 60 Starlink LEO communication satellites looks like.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users
"All that is required for advanced civilizations to avoid extinction is for men of wealth to not build a glut of LEO commercial rocket technology." -- Carl Sagan, 1983

• 2Salty
  • 1Potato
Reactions: 2 users

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
So, wikileaks has just posted a video saying the moon landing was fake and the video is "actual" footage from the faked videos... I can't link the vid on my phone. Might change a few things if real

• 3Jonesing
  • 3Picard
  • 2Dislike
Reactions: 7 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
So, wikileaks has just posted a video saying the moon landing was fake and the video is "actual" footage from the faked videos... I can't link the vid on my phone. Might change a few things if real

giphy.gif

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

iannis

Musty Nester
lol.

The weird shit about the moon landing is that we wouldn't do it today. It was so fly by night. And that's not derragatory, they made it as safe as they possibly could. But you look at what they were using... and there's just no way we would. All those test pilots that died in the ramp up, the apollo mission that almost went extra-solar, the rockets that we're going to have to raid the Kennedy estate to find the blueprints for, the computers were basically TI calculators.

I mean they were honestly doing crazy shit. Their crazy shit worked. Makes it even more impressive.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
lol.

The weird shit about the moon landing is that we wouldn't do it today. It was so fly by night. And that's not derragatory, they made it as safe as they possibly could. But you look at what they were using... and there's just no way we would. All those test pilots that died in the ramp up, the apollo mission that almost went extra-solar, the rockets that we're going to have to raid the Kennedy estate to find the blueprints for, the computers were basically TI calculators.

I mean they were honestly doing crazy shit. Their crazy shit worked. Makes it even more impressive.

Then we became cucks

• 1Dislike
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

We didn’t have long term plans or the money/desire to push it further.

That is why there is so much focus on not making a Mars trip a simple flag plant

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
There's a documentary of Apollo 11 out on the digital stores, made from a lot of film never really been seen before some of it scanned at 8-16k so it can be used for future reference.

Bummed I missed this in theaters.

• 4Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
lol.

My whole life the USA has had this defeated attitude about returning to the moon, but with SpaceX for the first time ever the attitude among space enthusiasts is that it's not only plausible to return, but inevitable and wouldn't even require that dramatic of specific technology, just a large expenditure that is still an order of magnitude less expensive than the Apollo missions.

• 2Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Related to the normalcy of space exploration in 2019, the first Starlink launch is maybe going up today:

This is a notable launch for a couple reasons:
1. It's the start of a new enterprise that could be hugely lucrative for SpaceX and beneficial for mankind in a big way.
2. It's a heavier load, 30klbs, which is an increase from 22klbs earlier this year. For reference the Saturn V had a 100k lbs payload and the space shuttle had a payload of around 27k.

• 2Like

iannis

Musty Nester
That's not really ice anymore is it? it's an oxygen crystal with hydrogen trapped inside it.

Interesting stuff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Starlink launch scrubbed just as they went live. They were live for all of like 20 seconds.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Hayabusa has been descending from 20km ('home position') to drop a target marker on the asteroid, only to autonomously abort 50m above the surface.

Maybe next time.

60m above the surface

• 4Like