The Astronomy Thread

khorum

Murder Apologist
After astrophysics, mechanical, electrical and aeronautical engineering and a good bit of materials sciences I guess yeah, being paranoid would be useful.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
dims.jpg

This image is a smaller chunk and lower resolution version of the Hubble Legacy Field image. The actual image contains 265,000 galaxies and is the result of 16 years of work building this mosaic.

HUGE download warning!

v v v
Here is the 25,000 square pixel image of the high res version of the Legacy Field from NASA's website.
^ ^ ^

Here is a pan-out video from NASA of the Legacy Field.

Existence sure is beautiful... I get awestruck looking at this stuff :)

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users
I just spent three days trying to understand Bell's Theorem

I cannot grasp most of its claims, but one of its claims does ring too clear: if it is correct, local realism is simply incomplete.

That conclusion, which stems from this idea of quantum entangelment, renders the absolute C (speed of light) as not absolute, since entanglement can happen / be detected at infinite greater than light speeds.

Three days. I am not that smart. Bell's Theorem just gave me a headache. If the theorem is right, Einstein is wrong?

• 2Like

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
I've been (slowly) reading through Through Two Doors at Once and the quantum stuff is just mind blowing. We really have no clue how reality and consciousness actually work. But hey I'm really glad we have people arguing about important things like feminine penises at least!

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Starlink website is live, launch appeared to go off for the first 60.

• 2Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I'm not sure how all that is going to work. I guess over time they will spread out a bit more but it seems a bit chaotic.

I guess they all talk to each other and store authentication and you just talk to the closest one?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Starlink website is live, launch appeared to go off for the first 60.

THIS is fuckin why we need to increase our space budget. This is something NASA should be spearheading. This type of shit, along with exploration and discovery on a yearly basis. Things that just can make lives better.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

It's an awesome idea, but the scope is insane. He literally wants to put up 30x the amount of currently operational satellites into orbit as part of this plan and other tech bigs want to do something similar. Putting that much stuff into orbit, especially when you consider what could happen if someone fucks up and creates a cascading debris field, is kind of scary.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Brad

Trakanon Raider
It's an awesome idea, but the scope is insane. He literally wants to put up 30x the amount of currently operational satellites into orbit as part of this plan and other tech bigs want to do something similar. Putting that much stuff into orbit, especially when you consider what could happen if someone fucks up and creates a cascading debris field, is kind of scary.

I agree with your concern as well. It is somewhat mitigated by the fact that these are low orbiting satellites to reduce latency and items falls down to earth quite a bit easier as well.

Still more interested in progress. I believe once AI has progressed to ASI in the next 30 years or so, the cascading debris field problem won't even be an issue anymore cos that will be a trivial matter for the ASI to solve.

khorum

Murder Apologist
They will need to keep at least 4,445 starlinks in orbit in six years to keep their FCC license. That’s a total of 74 launches in six years....which is something like a launch every 4.3 weeks.

Thing is at the reduced 550km orbits, about a fifth of the starlinks will deorbit after only a year while even the ones with the cleanest orbits wouldn’t be able to stay up there for more than five years so they’ll need at least 25% more launches to meet the FCC’s schedule so it’s closer to a launch every 3.35 weeks.

And the FCC’s countdown started in February.

More importantly, I really really hope Musk isn't hoping to finance BFR and the Mars project with starlink. That's a dumb revenue model. It's a commodity service and the value proposition targets a market that's underserved for a reason. The notion that there will be enough customers to fund SpaceX in places SO REMOTE that they still don't have Internet in 2019 is a non-starter.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

I do agree there. It will help service rural areas and other places without the proper infrastructure, but I'm not convinced there is enough revenue potential there. Even if he disrupted the traditional telecoms in areas already supplied, at best it would just spark a pricing/investment war. Consumers would win, but it would end up diluting the potential profits they could reap. Not a huge issue if Starlink was the only venture, but thinking it will pay the ticket to Mars is kind of lul.