The Astronomy Thread

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

Not suprised. I started to mention it the other day when it came up about testing of materials. There was/still is a company that used to have one MTR (Mill Test Report) and they kept it on file and everything they fabbed they would send a copy of the same MTR for years to the customer. Just easier to send the same one over and over than keep track of all the MTR's for all the steel they had bought.

Luckily they fab stuff that it really wouldn't matter, but still. Require paperwork that nobody reads.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
NASA is still debating internally where Core Stage-1 (CS-1) will go when it leaves MAF
I have an idea where it should go.
BriefWeeGalah-small.gif

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Edit: scrubbed for tonight

SpaceX launch tonight (stream starts in 30 minutes or so from now). They are landing on a droneship just a dozen or so miles off the coast (closer than normal) because the normal LZ is not available due to the crew capsule anomaly.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Launch is less than 13 minutes from now. Their launch window is 1 second long. Any delay and it's a scrub.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Good launch, and absolutely awesome infrared view of the landing. When you think they couldn't innovate in the "show", they drop that new one.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

The universe is expanding faster than predicted, new data reveal, indicating that something is missing from the current cosmological model.
Researchers led by Nobel laureate Adam Reiss from Johns Hopkins University in the US used a new method of data-gathering from NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope to track the movements of 70 stars in the Large Magellanic Cloud (LMC) – the galaxy next to the Milky Way – to achieve a more tightly constrained measure of their movements.

The new measurements, the researchers report in The Astrophysical Journal, establish new constraints, and reduce the chance that the readings could be wrong from one in 300 to one in 100,000.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
This is neat.

Two Neutron Stars Collided Near the Solar System Billions of Years Ago | Columbia News

If this happened today it would be bright enough to cast shadows.

Astrophysicists Szabolcs Márka at Columbia University and Imre Bartos (GSAS’12) at the University of Florida have identified a violent collision of two neutron stars 4.6 billion years ago as the likely source of some of the most coveted matter on Earth.​
This single cosmic event, close to our solar system, gave birth to 0.3 percent of the Earth’s heaviest elements, including gold, platinum and uranium.​
“This means that in each of us we would find an eyelash worth of these elements, mostly in the form of iodine, which is essential to life,” Bartos said.​

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
You know what? He may be a Bond Villain but I trust Bezos to get shit done far more than I trust any government (with the possible exception of China). Nothing he is proposing is radical from a technology or invention standpoint, but its been completely out of reach of NASA and ESA due to how crippled they've become with bureaucracy.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
You know what? He may be a Bond Villain but I trust Bezos to get shit done far more than I trust any government (with the possible exception of China). Nothing he is proposing is radical from a technology or invention standpoint, but its been completely out of reach of NASA and ESA due to how crippled they've become with bureaucracy.
NASA/ESA is a front...always keep that in mind.
It's never been about bureaucracy nor money nor knowhow for NASA, nor the ESA.

• 1Worf

khorum

Murder Apologist
NASA/ESA is a front...always keep that in mind.
It's never been about bureaucracy nor money nor knowhow for NASA, nor the ESA.

Well SOMEONE has to produce all the spherecuck propaganda. 👍

Last edited:
  • 2Worf

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I feel like, if there really were a vast conspiracy capable of keeping hundreds or thousands of actual alien sightings/encounters/moon bases/whatever secret for like a hundred years, they'd be smart enough to make sure the guy that was going to be doing an interview wouldn't have a picture of a secret moon base on his desk. But that's just me!

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 4 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
I feel like, if there really were a vast conspiracy capable of keeping hundreds or thousands of actual alien sightings/encounters/moon bases/whatever secret for like a hundred years, they'd be smart enough to make sure the guy that was going to be doing an interview wouldn't have a picture of a secret moon base on his desk. But that's just me!
Dunno. I've had a moon base on my ass and didnt find out about it until I was 34.
Super secret shit!

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Pretty much explains why I can't ever believe any conspiracy, at least in regards to world view changing knowledge. Even our best examples of humanity, fall prey to our base drives and weaknesses the same as the worst examples. I've witnessed far to many smart people, do far to many stupid things to believe otherwise, myself included.

If I was an advanced space travelling alien, I wouldn't even need a day to decide humanity is a bunch of crazy assed savages that any day could wipe themselves out, and recommend to home that I just bump a big asteroid into the planet, and get it over with instant and clean.

• 2Like