The Astronomy Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
2034...so far away ;o

I wonder what it is powered by? Gotta be some manner of nuclear power source. They said the mission would last a couple years and obviously solar isn't an option, unless this thing literally uses the methane available to power itself.
I wonder what kind of space infrastructure and launch capability we'll have by 2034. I kind of hope landing a rover on titan is not such a huge accomplishment by then.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Studying Gravity waves will change our world dramatically.

I havent looked into this in a while, thought I'd ask.
Have we been able to study the antimatter in our atmosphere yet?

Antimatter annihilates with matter, so as the atmosphere is made of matter, there isn't much antimatter in it.

So, not sure what you mean. Do you mean anti particles coming from space?

Anywho, they've done plenty of studying of antimatter here on the surface (in laboratory environments).

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Antimatter annihilates with matter, so as the atmosphere is made of matter, there isn't much antimatter in it.

So, not sure what you mean. Do you mean anti particles coming from space?

Anywho, they've done plenty of studying of antimatter here on the surface (in laboratory environments).
Referencing a article from 2011.
They had been searching for antimatter particle clusters out in space and didnt come up with much, so they turned thier satellite towards earth and found that we have a band of antimatter around earth. Not a very big one, but it's there.
I'm sure there are dozens of searchable articles about that release.
There was a separate one released a few years ago talking about how to capture some particles for study and experiments. I cant find the article anymore, but was curious if anyone had heard if those efforts had moved forward in the last 8 years before I scour the net.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
tldr; Cosmic rays produce reactions which create a small number of anti-protons, which could get trapped in certain parts of the Van Allen belts.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Cheap, light HD cameras weren't available then. When you're sending shit into orbit every ounce counts.
My bad.
I meant the colors the whole process gives off.
Example.
The old Shuttle launches at night.
No color plume.

SpaceX launches at night.
Mega color plume.

Is it just a trick of light or is it something else? The fuel?

• 1Worf

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
That's a product of what's happening in the sky I think. Shuttle boosters weren't boosting back, SpaceX is doing more with their vehicles over a wider area.

Shuttle launch:

A lot of the SpaceX shots are similar to the above, but sometimes when the lighting conditions are right we get a lot more.

All that propellant and stuff can basically look like a Noctilucent cloud - Wikipedia

• 2Like

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
SpaceX has given us a lot, including that amazing imagery.

It might only be a tiny fraction of what we'll get in the future, depends on how far they get in their ambitions.

They're all about cheap access to space, which is the only way we're really going to get to do crazy amounts of space travel.

With SpaceX's success so far, we're seeing various countries and organizations starting to also get serious about developing cheap partly reusable rockets.

It's about time.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 4 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Hayabusa-2 just touched down on an asteroid for a second time.

At around the same time, Ariane just lost a Vega rocket carrying a UAE millitary satellite.

Failure appears to begin after 2nd stage separation (watch the launch trajectory graph deviate) and begin to acknowledge the problem a few minutes later.

khorum

Murder Apologist
My bad.
I meant the colors the whole process gives off.
Example.
The old Shuttle launches at night.
No color plume.

SpaceX launches at night.
Mega color plume.

Is it just a trick of light or is it something else? The fuel?

Fuck the actual answer. What's your theory on why that is? Is it all CGI?

• 1Dislike
  • 1Salty

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Fuck the actual answer. What's your theory on why that is? Is it all CGI?
Do I look like Lumi or Tad or Jasker?

I thought it had something to do with the different fuel/gasses/mixtures they use. With us being able to see bitchin sights during night launches.

Luckily I was told I was close to the right answer by our talented meStevo meStevo

• 1Picard