The Astronomy Thread

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
What? You wanted me to say "dont be fooled, the colorful vape is seeding for chemtrails and the CGI is covering it up?" :p

• 1Jonesing
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The 20th is the 50 anniversary of the big one. Man landing on the moon.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The 20th is the 50 anniversary of the big one. Man landing on the moon.
It's a testament to the achievement made and a global disgrace that we aren't looking back on the Apollo missions as a quaint achievement that was impressive only given the tech available.

Here's to changing that in the next ten years.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I read once only Gene Kranz was over 35 in the control room that day. May have been not true no way to check it. Looking at his wiki he was 36 at the time.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Even this thing is better than a fucking quadcopter.

Someone needs to tell the marketing team for JPL to not publish zoomed in shots of dudes zip-tying cables, screwing down cams and nervously holding estops.

Otherwise that robot looks really cool. I wonder what its mobility system's power consumption is

khorum

Murder Apologist
Well it's better than blowing up another astronaut I suppose. That'll nix Musk's entire project right fast. In fact, the risk of that happening is significant enough that he should delay NASA manned projects and focus on capturing as much of the cargolift market as possible. He can do manned missions for private clients.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Government contracts are always going to be more lucrative in the near term, especially if they actually start to get serious about the moon stuff. Private clients are ok, but that is a pretty niche market and you still have the same safety problem. A billionaire isn't going to strap himself into your space craft if they aren't convinced it is safe as a space craft can be.

Musk is still first at this point. That is a position you need to fully take advantage of, before you find yourself mired in competition. A company with a functioning and reliable launch platform and space craft is going to be a much more attractive option than someone still in the PoC stage.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Well it's better than blowing up another astronaut I suppose. That'll nix Musk's entire project right fast. In fact, the risk of that happening is significant enough that he should delay NASA manned projects and focus on capturing as much of the cargolift market as possible. He can do manned missions for private clients.
SpaceX blowing up a few astronauts wont kill spacex. It'll set them back for sure, but everyone understands the risks.

• 1Picard
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
SpaceX blowing up a few astronauts wont kill spacex. It'll set them back for sure, but everyone understands the risks.

Right, a big part why this work is being done privately in the first place is that a company can afford to take more risks of this type than can a government agency.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
My sister's SO works at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory and gave my kids and me a private tour today. We got a good look at the Mars 2020 Rover, which is nearly fully assembled and will shortly disappear from public viewing to undergo environmental testing. It's pretty cool being this close to machines which will shortly be an another planet.

• 13Like
Reactions: 12 users

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I had a funny thought, what if travelling back in time was a lot easier than we imagined and it takes an advanced civilization 300 years of advancement to develop it. In an effort to perfect the past they through their own ineptitude or through war to control the future end up erasing their own existence entirely. Could time travel be the great civilization filter? Lol

• 1Picard

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
I had a funny thought, what if travelling back in time was a lot easier than we imagined and it takes an advanced civilization 300 years of advancement to develop it. In an effort to perfect the past they through their own ineptitude or through war to control the future end up erasing their own existence entirely. Could time travel be the great civilization filter? Lol

The aliens/etc/paranormal thread is that way. ---->

• 3Salty
  • 1Worf
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 5 users