The Astronomy Thread

Qhue

Trump's Staff

This is the world we live in now. A process was followed, there was a court charge that the process was not inclusive enough and subsequent redress was followed. Compromises were made and in the end we still have a bunch of people who are all butt hurt that 5 out of 11000 acres in a completely inhospitable desert landscape is going to be used for science instead of nothing.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
In more somewhat related news, Nasa and SpaceX are going to be working together on developing the capability for in-orrbit refueling. This may be the first sign of any overt interest Nasa has in the Starhopper.

The first space mission of the starhopper should be hop as many people in congress, NASA and the ULA who have been slowing down space progress for the last two decades into space.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
The first space mission of the starhopper should be hop as many people in congress, NASA and the ULA who have been slowing down space progress for the last two decades into space.

Throw Blue Origin in there too. They get a lot of support that might otherwise go to SpaceX, and one of those two companies actually has 50ish launches to orbit, and the other has zero.

Someone posted a good video comparing rocket engines recently, and SpaceX's raptor is *amazing*. Unlike other 'coming soon' engines in that video, the Raptor has actually lifted something big off the ground. Just 60 meters, but still. Good things are coming.

Blue Origin might indeed build something groundbreaking in a few years, but until they do, I rate them as 'not helping'.

• 1Salty
  • 1Dislike

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Gotta keep Blue Origin in the mix because this is going to be a long journey, and long term that company has better odds of staying afloat due to Bezos' money bin size. Great to have competition for SpaceX.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Throw Blue Origin in there too. They get a lot of support that might otherwise go to SpaceX, and one of those two companies actually has 50ish launches to orbit, and the other has zero.

Someone posted a good video comparing rocket engines recently, and SpaceX's raptor is *amazing*. Unlike other 'coming soon' engines in that video, the Raptor has actually lifted something big off the ground. Just 60 meters, but still. Good things are coming.

Blue Origin might indeed build something groundbreaking in a few years, but until they do, I rate them as 'not helping'.
How much fed $$$ has blue origin received though?

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
How much fed $$$ has blue origin received though?

Not much, around 29 million from what I could find on Wikipedia. I could have sworn that the airforce paid them some money for or toward their engine they've been developing but i didn't see it there. I do keep seeing them listed as one of the companies competing for funding from the air force and/or NASA, though they haven't actually launched an orbital rocket or (I think) actually built a proven orbital class rocket engine. They were also causing trouble for SpaceX when SpaceX wanted to lease one of the rocket launch sites in Florida.

• 1Picard
  • 1Dislike

Cybsled

Not just any launch site. It was the Apollo program launch pad and an extremely long term lease of the platform. Bezos is heavy duty into the Apollo program (a number of years back, he salvaged a saturn engine from the Atlantic) and really wanted that pad.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Maybe this will have some results.
If Aliens Are Flashing Laser Beams at Us, We Now Have a Way to Detect Them

Breakthrough Listen, the most extensive Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) program in history, announced that its team will begin looking for new signs of alien technology using the Very Energetic Radiation Imaging Telescope Array System (VERITAS) at the Fred Lawrence Whipple Observatory in Amado, Arizona.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Gotta keep Blue Origin in the mix because this is going to be a long journey, and long term that company has better odds of staying afloat due to Bezos' money bin size. Great to have competition for SpaceX.

I agree. If we're going to put the future of space travel in the hands of somewhat mentally unstable genius zillionaires, I'd rather not put all the eggs in one basket.

• 1Picard

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

This is an interesting tweet. I don't know what the situation with SpaceX was at the time, but SpaceX is definitely a stand-out corporation that has advanced the state of space exploration beyond the typical coattail riding of world-wide technological improvement. If any number of problems happened and we take Musk at his word, mankind's exploration of space could have been set back decades

• 1Like