The Astronomy Thread

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Shit, does this mean I should stop learning engineering from Indian dudes on YouTube?

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Shit, does this mean I should stop learning engineering from Indian dudes on YouTube?

They're pretty entertaining to watch them mess with electrical stuff. If you like zaps, it's the place to be.

Burnt to a crisp? They were already halfway there which I guess saves time.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

khorum

Murder Apologist
If not India, then which country is next?
Japan.

Which makes me wonder what would qualify a country as the fourth nation to put a probe on the moon. Japan's JAXA "landed" SELENE-1 on the moon after its 2-year orbit. That should technically count. They just recently cancelled SELENE-2, which was supposed to put an exploratory lander on the moon in the 2020's, but they got another lander program in conjunction with the Indians of all people.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Japan.

Which makes me wonder what would qualify a country as the fourth nation to put a probe on the moon. Japan's JAXA "landed" SELENE-1 on the moon after its 2-year orbit. That should technically count. They just recently cancelled SELENE-2, which was supposed to put an exploratory lander on the moon in the 2020's, but they got another lander program in conjunction with the Indians of all people.

Impact is not landing.

• 4Salty
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
This is actually a pretty good listen and is one of the better explanations of quantum mechanics and gravity that I’ve seen. I certainly still don’t understand all of what he’s saying but it filled in a number of gaps in my knowledge.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
More on the object. Oumuamua, aka I1/2017 U1 (Interstellar number 1) had an excentricity of 1.2, hyperbolic but good. This one I2/2019 Q4 has a whopping eccentricity of 3.

interstellar-object-16.gif

Oumuamua was a cylinder of about 100m. This one is a full comet with outgassing and all, probably close to 1km. And it's really merely passing thru.

• 2Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Wow! I never knew that Mercury has a slanted orbit.
EDIT: It's only 7 degrees vs the rest of the planets. But this is exxagerated by its highly elliptical orbit: 47M km perihelion for a 70M km aphelion.

• 2Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Venus is 3.4 and Mars is 1.85. Like Ukerric said it's the high eccentricity of the orbital path and low orbital period that exaggerates the effect.

Some of the dwarf planets have pretty wild inclinations, Pluto is just over 17 while Pallas is almost 35.

Last edited: