The Astronomy Thread

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Mysterious, ancient radio signals keep pelting Earth

fast-radio-burst.gif

Sudden shrieks of radio waves from deep space keep slamming into radio telescopes on Earth, spattering those instruments' detectors with confusing data. And now, astronomers are using artificial intelligence to pinpoint the source of the shrieks, in the hope of explaining what's sending them to Earth from — researchers suspect — billions of light-years across space.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
In more somewhat related news, Nasa and SpaceX are going to be working together on developing the capability for in-orrbit refueling. This may be the first sign of any overt interest Nasa has in the Starhopper.

If this doesn't involve a drunk Russian living alone in a leaky old space station, I'll be sorely disappointed!

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

An amateur astronomer in Texas captured a rare sight earlier this week when an apparent meteor slammed into Jupiter’s thick upper atmosphere.
On Wednesday, amateur astronomer Ethan Chappel was on the lookout for Perseid meteors, reports ScienceAlert. But his telescope was trained on Jupiter with the camera running. Later, after feeding the data into a software program designed to detect impact flashes, Chappel was alerted to the event.

hljl1kzlhtynkcmhz1wd.png

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

spronk

FPS noob
its a monolith!!!

potw1931a.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Surprise! A minority group in the 'perfect site' opposes the TMT as well. So will Jason Momoa and The Rock advocate for this now or are we just gonna hope that the Volcano gods can grant us the wisdom instead of science?
Why anyone listens to cultures that never even discovered the alphabet is beyond me.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

View attachment 218272

Sudden shrieks of radio waves from deep space keep slamming into radio telescopes on Earth, spattering those instruments' detectors with confusing data. And now, astronomers are using artificial intelligence to pinpoint the source of the shrieks, in the hope of explaining what's sending them to Earth from — researchers suspect — billions of light-years across space.
We will never be allowed to know what the message is because it is: There are only two genders.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester

View attachment 218272

the energy involved means it has to be a natural phenomena.

They might be witnessing pulsar formation. Pulsars are called that because they radiate em out of their poles while spinning on an axis. It makes them look like strobe lights if you're looking with the right telescope. Pulsars form in a way similar to black holes, they say, in the end stage of a state lifespan. The stars that spawn them were not massive enough to black hole though, so you start getting exotic matter. Makes sense that the first few generations of star would not be the most massive.

It'll be something like that.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Why anyone listens to cultures that never even discovered the alphabet is beyond me.
I know in humanities future, they will look at us the exact same way.

We didnt listen to the cannibal tribe found at Easter island when they said the ancestors from the before were all swept away in a mighty flood and all that was left was that island, which was the vertical summit of hilltops/mountains of the long gone continent.
Instead they ignored them thinking they were just crazy with kuru and shit.

My whiskey is gone. :confused:

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Next Starhopper launch (200m this time) expected between Wednesday and Friday next week.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Someone call Steve Buscemi

Asteroid horror: NASA panic as freak DOUBLE asteroid Didymos hurtles towards Earth

DIDYMOS, the twin asteroid, classified as potentially hazardous and posing an impact risk to earth, the city killer is now being targeted by the European Space Agency in a bid to deflect it from a possible earth bound collision course.
Click bait bullshit. From the article:

"Luckily, Didymos is not an Earth-crossing asteroid, and there is no possibility that the deflection experiment could create an impact hazard."

Edit: They're talking about a mission to practice deflecting an asteroid though which is cool. Only took 100's of sci-fi movie plots to make us realize its a good idea.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Click bait bullshit. From the article:

"Luckily, Didymos is not an Earth-crossing asteroid, and there is no possibility that the deflection experiment could create an impact hazard."

Edit: They're talking about a mission to practice deflecting an asteroid though which is cool. Only took 100's of sci-fi movie plots to make us realize its a good idea.
The constant fear mongering these fucks keep throwing up there is rediculous.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
  • 1Worf

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
So much clickbait.
Hot Ionized Gas.

'UFOs' are coming out of black holes and altering galaxies forever: 'It's all very new science'

Black holes are still a mysterious force of spacetime, with the first image of one having been released just a few short months ago. Now, a new study suggests that "UFOs" are coming out of them, helping to reshape galaxies along the way.

i saw the same shit on my Google news feed man, i would have paid someone to be able take my click back.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Final hopper test might be today.

28k people just chilling on the live stream waiting for a test at an unspecified time.

Edit:

So ~3pm PST.

Last edited:
  • 1Like