The Astronomy Thread

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
From other Tweets - static fire with a single raptor maybe later this week. This is also the configuration that will do a 150m hop. SN5 will get 3 raptors.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Love this comet image.

1588102707524.png

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
NASA shows some interest in Starship (and other designs).

Well, given the insane costs of SLS, they better.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I think Everyday Astro had a video where there are nearly 2 SLS built already. With a lot of the 3rd one started.

Should just shut it down at 3.

Tell all those ppl to apply at Space X, and dump a mountain of money on Musk for a Moonbase.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I think Everyday Astro had a video where there are nearly 2 SLS built already. With a lot of the 3rd one started.

Should just shut it down at 3.

Tell all those ppl to apply at Space X, and dump a mountain of money on Musk for a Moonbase.
Yea, but what can you do when those people have the strings of the purse:

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Full moon is killing looking at the meteor shower tonight and tomorrow, sucks.

• 1Salty
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yea, but what can you do when those people have the strings of the purse:

It will be interesting to see how this pans out in the long term, if this succeeds and having multiple competing companies not only costs less but actually gets the job done while pushing ahead the technology for commercial purposes and these people are still bitching it's obvious they have no interest in the advancement of the nation. If they're directly paid off by people like Boeing then they're putting their personal gains over the continued technological dominance of America, which sounds pretty treasonous on the part of both Boeing and the representatives. It's kind of terrifying that people could play this game with there being so much at stake :/

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
it's obvious they have no interest in the advancement of the nation.
Of course they don't. There might be a couple senators or congressmen that are genuinely interested in the advancement of the United States in general, but the election process is an evolutionary process that breeds one basic kind of people.

The one that can be elected in their State.

Their primary incentive is getting (re)elected. They need money, and they need a positive image.

The thing is, a positive image with all of the Americans is harder to obtain than one with your own state. It's easier to pursue image in your own state rather than trying to pursue image across the entire USA - all those other fuckers won't vote for you anyway, so why bother.

And so, every one of these tend to pursue policies that favor their state, even if it disfavors the USA as a whole, because the local advantage will almost outweigh the global disadvantage. Being able to state that "this adds 250 jobs to my state" looks better for your next election than saying "the USA can be proud, and I had nothing special to do with it anyway". Notice that almost all of the congressmen in those commissions are from the states where space/space industries are located. They're there to steer space policy for their States, nothing else.

Then you add lobbyists and campaign contributions, and it becomes an impossible task.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
NASA has been setup to flop hard on their endeavours. They were given the option to use the tech they keep hidden from the public to get the job done but refuse. They won't get us to the moonbase in thier present incarnation. Go Go SpaceX.

So when is the SN4 static fire test?

Last edited:
  • 1Smuggly
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users