The Astronomy Thread

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Amazed as I am that they stuck to those ridiculous Daft Punk spacesuits...I'm even more incredulous that they actually built the interior of the Crew Dragon like the fucking Tesla Concept with the floating chairs and massive LED control panels. This is the crew for the first Dragon flight training in an actual Crew Dragon capsule.

KSC-20200319-PH-SPX01_0015orig.jpg

Looking cool helps with publicity. It looks like the future, rather than a retreat of the past.

Those suits look a lot more flexible and are probably less cumbersome than the ones Nasa used back in the day.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

khorum

Murder Apologist
it opens from the inside of one knee across the seam past your crotch to the opposite knee then you crawl up into your daft punk spacesuit like a reverse birth.

No, I'm not kidding:

Last edited:
  • 1Picard
  • 1Jonesing
Reactions: 1 users

khorum

Murder Apologist
oh no the led touch screen died I guess we all die!
Tons of engineering has actually been done in that particular use case and it's kinda obvious that an oled or some other minimal single-layer display as a solid-state interface would be orders of magnitude more reliable than electro-mechanical switches and controls with their thousands of moving parts.

They even came out ahead in centrifuge tests when users had to interact with them at higher g's. They were also trivial to repair in-mission, the other screens can be redundant backups if one fails and they can bring several replacement screens with minimal storage space.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

• 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Thanks for that, sometimes it's the little things.

Part of one of the most amazing regions of our galaxy, never seen this image before. Just makes me wish I was out there for real, to see it all with my own eyes, if my eyes were capable of seeing it all.

july-29-2019-star-cluster-trumpler-14.jpg

• 2Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Maybe its by month or astrological sign lol.
Oh damn, I clicked the "More Info" button on the pic, and at the very bottom of the explanation was this:

The NICMOS mosaic required 144 Hubble orbits to make 2,304 science exposures. It was taken between February 22 and June 5, 2008.

So probably everyone in that range gets it unless something extra special was looked at in another year.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user