The Astronomy Thread

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Musk ditched his wife. Twice.

(plus a previous one once)
He's referring to Bezos recently getting taken for half his net worth by his wife, not sure Elon had that happen in his divorces (too lazy to look it up but the Bezos divorce was noteworthy for a reason, rich dudes like that usually write better prenups :p )

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
He's referring to Bezos recently getting taken for half his net worth by his wife, not sure Elon had that happen in his divorces (too lazy to look it up but the Bezos divorce was noteworthy for a reason, rich dudes like that usually write better prenups :p )
Not half, apparently she "only" got 25% of his Amazon stocks... still enough to plunge him down.

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
So the best my little telescope could do with my Note 8 in my backyard;

View attachment 324661
Hey, that isn't that bad, I had a great picture if I could get that damn lense to line upright. It is amazing how much further out in the solar system Saturn(9.6AU) is than Jupiter(5.2AU) and how much fucking brighter Jupiter is than Saturn. Jupiter peaks out at almost -3, -2.94 is the peak I believe. Saturn’s brightest magnitude, –0.55, occurs when the planet is both at perihelion (closest to the Sun in its orbit) and its ring system is open to the maximum extent as seen from Earth, was very special to see both planets through the same frame. KRA!

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
171MP image of SN9 on the pad.

Could launch as early as this week, another 41kft launch with belly flop.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blakkheim

Karazhan Raider
Did you make this video?

EryXwQGXcAgjo-i

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
With Shelby no longer running the appropriation committee things are looking less rosy for the SLS.

Hopefully the thing gets cancelled before we spend even more 10s of billions of dollars on it.

• 1Solidarity

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

I'll never get over how wildly complex this looks.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

I'll never get over how wildly complex this looks.
It's even crazier than that. There are all sorts of internal channels inside the bell for pre-heating fuel with the exhaust energy. The shapes are impossible to machine or cast using normal methods, so they actually form the core of the engine by wrapping the raw metal around explosives and blasting it into a form.

• 1WTF

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I mean... any pics?
I don't have any references for SpaceX's process. Googling "explosive metal forming" will get you some basic examples.

You can kind of see the geometry here with the orange and yellow channels around the bell, though it isn't interesting in this particular cross section. It's apparently much more exotic flat on. I have a cousin who works at SpaceX (aerodynamic flight simulation) and this is info I picked up on a friends & family factory tour a few years back.

main-qimg-64e5dccc78b59f762f802f1fbc6606d9

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
I don't have any references for SpaceX's process. Googling "explosive metal forming" will get you some basic examples.

You can kind of see the geometry here with the orange and yellow channels around the bell, though it isn't interesting in this particular cross section. It's apparently much more exotic flat on. I have a cousin who works at SpaceX (aerodynamic flight simulation) and this is info I picked up on a friends & family factory tour a few years back.

main-qimg-64e5dccc78b59f762f802f1fbc6606d9
You smoke a J with ol' Mr. Musk?