The Astronomy Thread

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I don't think they're going to be able to make a full scale version of this technology.

The concept is hilarious so I did some napkin math. If you have a launcher with a 50-foot radius, in order to achieve escape velocity of 11.2 km/s (ignoring air resistance) your payload is going to experience centripital acceleration of about 840,000 G's. A solid metal payload would be a pancake even if we had a device capable of generating/resisting such forces, which we don't. In order to limit the centripital acceleration to 10 G's you'd need a launcher the radius of the continental United States.

Maybe there's some hybrid version where you catapult an actual rocket at the limit of its structural integrity and it goes the rest of the way up under thrust. I think there are good reasons we're not already doing this, though.

Edit: On a closer watch, they are going for a hybrid approach with a 2 km/s release speed and 50-meter radius. That's still 8200 G's. I also can't wait to see the timing failures when your 7200 km/hr fuel-laden rocket hits the sides of your launch facility.

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
From what I understand the biggest actual issue is releasing the rocket and not having the launcher shift with the sudden imbalance and tear itself apart.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The concept is hilarious so I did some napkin math. If you have a launcher with a 50-foot radius, in order to achieve escape velocity of 11.2 km/s (ignoring air resistance) your payload is going to experience centripital acceleration of about 840,000 G's. A solid metal payload would be a pancake even if we had a device capable of generating/resisting such forces, which we don't. In order to limit the centripital acceleration to 10 G's you'd need a launcher the radius of the continental United States.

Maybe there's some hybrid version where you catapult an actual rocket at the limit of its structural integrity and it goes the rest of the way up under thrust. I think there are good reasons we're not already doing this, though.
...or maybe a giant treadmill?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Edit: On a closer watch, they are going for a hybrid approach with a 2 km/s release speed and 50-meter radius. That's still 8200 G's. I also can't wait to see the timing failures when your 7200 km/hr fuel-laden rocket hits the sides of your launch facility.
That level of G force wont be a problem for electronics, thats comparable or less than what artillery shells experience on firing and theyre filled various electronics.

But at the end of the day yeah its almost certainly a concept that has no use on Earth without significant advances in materials science. But on Luna or any other similar body with no atmosphere it will probably have use whenever we get around to getting off this rock.

Also heres some youtube neckbeard shitting all over it;

Last edited:
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That level of G force wont be a problem for electronics, thats comparable or less than what artillery shells experience on firing and theyre filled various electronics.

There are electronics in artillery shells but I wouldn't say it's not a problem for them. The G forces are probably the primary design consideration and there are a LOT of downsides to it.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
There are electronics in artillery shells but I wouldn't say it's not a problem for them. The G forces are probably the primary design consideration and there are a LOT of downsides to it.
Yeah that's one of the red flags about this concept, it would never launch a currently designed satellite but they don't tell you that.

• 1Dislike

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
You guys are idiots.

Cell phones take 1000s of gs without breaking the screen.

Much less the actual electronics

Properly mounted electronics should be fine

• 1Dislike
  • 1Cringe

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
You guys are idiots.

Cell phones take 1000s of gs without breaking the screen.

Much less the actual electronics

Properly mounted electronics should be fine
You don't know what you're talking about.

• 1Solidarity

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor
Could just be used to make for more efficient hypersonic engines. Scramjets usually need to be at mach 3-5 to start so they're normally bootstrapped by a rocket or a plane, which means they're at very thin atmospheres. If they could just yeet it to mach 1 or 2 within one atmosphere of pressure it could get the scramjets ignited outta the gate that's a massive benefit since the scramjets have no moving parts and are vastly more efficient than rockets or regular ramjets and turbojets once they get started.

• 1Picard

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
You don't know what you're talking about.

Mending fences and voting Hillary make you a physicist?

How many g's does a phone experience going from 4ft to the ground, on concrete or tile? I've dropped several phones like that without even breaking the screen.

Since BrutulTM BrutulTM prolly can't do the math, if someone wants do the math...

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Mending fences and voting Hillary make you a physicist?

How many g's does a phone experience going from 4ft to the ground, on concrete or tile? I've dropped several phones like that without even breaking the screen.

Since BrutulTM BrutulTM prolly can't do the math, if someone wants do the math...

You probably didn't know this, but before I came back to the ranch I spent 10 years designing telemetry systems for bombs and missiles. I never personally did one for an artillery shell but I know people who did and dealing with the acceleration was a nightmare and dictated the entire design. Also I would rather be branded than vote for Hillary.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
You probably didn't know this, but before I came back to the ranch I spent 10 years designing telemetry systems for bombs and missiles. I never personally did one for an artillery shell but I know people who did and dealing with the acceleration was a nightmare and dictated the entire design. Also I would rather be branded than vote for Hillary.

I don't give a fuck.

But since your capable, do the fucking math.

Call me crazy, but I trust Scott Manley on this crap more than I do you.

Now, you could easily convince me. By doing the fucking math.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I'm not saying it's impossible, I was just correcting you for saying that those sort of g's would be no problem for "properly mounted" electronics or that your cell phone would be fine being fired from a gun.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I'm not saying it's impossible, I was just correcting you for saying that those sort of g's would be no problem for "properly mounted" electronics or that your cell phone would be fine being fired from a gun.

Which sort? The fantastic numbers said in this thread?

Or the numbers from spin launch?

Or the estimated from Manley?

I don't think I ever said a phone could be fired from a gun.

So you were responding to imaginary posts?

It's pretty damn telling, that even tho you are personally able, that you don't want to do the math.

Maybe you need to try meditation or some shit.

Maybe "properly mounted" was not industry specific? How about "properly reinforced"? Lol

Anyway, they apparently have solutions for fly wheels etc to survive those forces and still function, which, IMHO, are more delicate than most electronics by their nature (spinning on a case to provide torque to spin vehicle). Maybe they are called reaction wheels? Fuck I can't remember.

Whatever

• 1Dislike

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
You can survive a 4 foot fall onto tile. Could you survive a ride on that thing? All I'm saying is it's a lot more complicated than you're making it out to be and whatever payloads they are going to send on that thing surviving the initial acceleration is going to have to be a major design consideration.

• 1Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
You don't have ankles and knees on the ranch?

Jesus dude, are you fucking high?

Payloads being tailored to the launch vehicle was specifically covered...

Quit day drinking or whatever you are doing man. Jesus

• 1Dislike

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
So are you saying that you can only survive a 4 foot drop if you bend your legs?

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
whatever payloads they are going to send on that thing surviving the initial acceleration is going to have to be a major design consideration.

The acceleration on the path of travel is very slow; the payload is brought up to speed over a period of 90 minutes or so. The issue is centripetal acceleration, which is high but sustained

Phones break when dropped onto hard surfaces because of the concentration of stresses. As mentioned in the video, current commercial electronics can withstand thousands of G's if applied to the entire structure. This doesn't meant that it's not a consideration, just not one that's immediately fatal to the concept at the configuration they're targeting.

IMO, whether or not electronics will break under ~10,000 G's is much less important than what happens when they inevitably have a timing error on release and launch the thing into the walls of their ground facility.

Last edited:
  • 1Like