The Astronomy Thread

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Is that supposed to be a serious company? If so it's pretty impressive that they actually got that far without realizing that they had no idea wtf they were doing.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
"According to the company's website, 90 percent of a rocket's cost in the traditional space industry is related to personnel."

This is gold
The traditional space industry is doing it wrong. It's going to be years before anyone makes a rocket comparable to Falcon 9, and it won't be traditional space industry that does it (my bet is on Rocket Lab's Neutron to be the first real competitor for F9).

And it seems plausible that by that point in time, the Super Heavy/Starship will have made the F9 (and everthing else) painfully obsolete.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Don't get me wrong, even with F9 and SpaceX's obvious superiority, old space will be around for a while longer; if nothing else the Vulcan rocket now has a huge number of flights paid for which will keep ULA etc in business for some time still. Plus SLS, unfortunately.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Sadly when you pick two it's like you're picking 2 guys to dunk a basketball and Spacex is Lebron James, Blue Origin and Virgin Galactic are two 5' 3" pimply 14 year olds and NASA is a 600 lb bedridden guy with a plan for a complex hydraulic system to lift his bed up to the hoop which should be finished in 8-12 years.

No wonder the corporatocracy wants us to hate Elon Musk so much. He's outright embarrassing them on all fronts

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
8K mars crater video from the HIRISE camera, on board the mars orbiter which has been in orbit since i think 2006 (!)

• 4Like
  • 2Mother of God
Reactions: 5 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

1650997882739.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Interesting talk about gravitational wave astronomy by Kip Thorne. A bit more in depth than most of the general audience talks too. It's from 2018 but I hadn't seen it before, it's really good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user