The Astronomy Thread

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
conspiracy: JWST got btfo immediately after starting its unfurling, all the data and press releases are faked by a very small number of people responsible for communication and now they are starting the rollout of a series of "black swan" events that will ultimately result in the JWST being irrevocably destroyed.

• 1Rustled
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
yeah, the West has been searching for alien civilizations for decades with no results.

I'm sure the eaters of chicken feet and builders of collapsing buildings accomplished this goal after just fucking around for a few years with it

Imagine believing any "science" coming out of China

• 2Like
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
1655313328260.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
yeah, the West has been searching for alien civilizations for decades with no results.

I'm sure the eaters of chicken feet and builders of collapsing buildings accomplished this goal after just fucking around for a few years with it

Imagine believing any "science" coming out of China
China either discovered an alien civilization, lied about finding one, or announced they did before they knew for sure.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
The Universe is a vast place, filled with more galaxies than we’ve ever been able to count, even in just the portion we’ve been able to observe. Some 40 years ago, Carl Sagan taught the world that there were hundreds of billions of stars in the Milky Way alone, and perhaps as many as 100 billion galaxies within the observable Universe. Although he never said it in his famous television series, Cosmos, the phrase “billions and billions” has become synonymous with his name, and also with the number of stars we think of as being inherent to each galaxy, as well as the number of galaxies contained within the visible Universe.

But when it comes to the number of galaxies that are actually out there, we’ve learned a number of important facts that have led us to revise that number upwards, and not just by a little bit. Our most detailed observations of the distant Universe, from the Hubble eXtreme Deep Field, gave us an estimate of 170 billion galaxies. A theoretical calculation from a few years ago — the first to account for galaxies too small, faint, and distant to be seen — put the estimate far higher: at 2 trillion. But even that estimate is too low. There ought to be at least 6 trillion, and perhaps more like 20 trillion, galaxies, if we’re ever able to count them all.

• 3Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
just the portion we’ve been able to observe

The good news for Sagan is that, if the cosmological constant is positive and remains so, he'll eventually be right, if only temporarily, as galaxies drop behind the observable horizon.

• 3Like