The Astronomy Thread

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Bah, water on Mars? Probably some plot by the lefties at NASA to push some piece of the liberal agenda.

Water on Mars: Rush Limbaugh pans evidence of water on Mars as part of - POLITICO
iWKad22.jpg

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
So is that picture altered some way? Makes Mars look like earth more than any other image of the planet I have seen.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Usually Mars pics are very dusty and the sky is tinged red. I don't pay close enough attention to know whether blue skies are a thing on Mars.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So is that picture altered some way? Makes Mars look like earth more than any other image of the planet I have seen.
Sorry, I really should have added this to my first post.

This mosaic of images from the Mast Camera (Mastcam) on NASA's Mars rover Curiosity shows Mount Sharp in a white-balanced color adjustment that makes the sky look overly blue but shows the terrain as if under Earth-like lighting. White-balancing helps scientists recognize rock materials based on their experience looking at rocks on Earth. The Martian sky would look more of a butterscotch color to the human eye. White balancing yields an overly blue hue in images that have very little blue information, such as Martian landscapes, because the white balancing tends to overcompensate for the low inherent blue content.

Why the sky is blue

iannis

Musty Nester
That or they just forgot to apply the "mars filter" to their picture taken in Nevada.
cool.png
NASA just doesn't even try anymore.

Almost every space pic you ever see has been color corrected. It really bummed me out one day when I was looking at groovy nebulae pics and came to the realization that they don't look like that. You would never see that. There is actually a dude whose job it is to take the raw data and make a pic out of them that looks neat(er than it really is).

To be fair, the raw data pics are usually pretty drab and hard to get that excited about unless you're a supernerd.