The Astronomy Thread

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
The core landing was always questionable (for now) right? Like, a bonus if they stuck it?

That's true of pretty much this whole flight really. This was spectacular as a test. Losing the core is a bummer, but I'm so glad it didn't implode on launch and they got zero flight data.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The core landing was always questionable (for now) right? Like, a bonus if they stuck it?

I don't know how much risk it had or not. It's minor thing really they have shown convincingly that they can land there rockets.

• 2Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Hopefully NASA will start using these for deep space missions...
NASA has the shuttle replacement SLS I linked above doing it's first launch to the moon and back next year with a even much larger rocket with way more payload. The SLS will be deep space. The Falcon Heavy still won't be useless though, but SpaceX doesn't have the funding to do many deep space missions like the US Gov has. Both will have purpose, but to get to Mars( and back ) and transport habitable payloads, the SLS crazy capacity will be required.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
NASA has the shuttle replacement SLS I linked above doing it's first launch to the moon and back next year with a even much larger rocket with way more payload. The SLS will be deep space. The Falcon Heavy still won't be useless though, but SpaceX doesn't have the funding to do many deep space missions like the US Gov has. Both will have purpose, but to get to Mars( and back ) and transport habitable payloads, the SLS crazy capacity will be required.

the fuck I thought the whole point of the falcon heavy was to start sending shit to mars in prep for a manned flight.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
My understanding was this. It burned basically a full minute longer which is a long time at the speeds it was going that far into the mission. Stress and other issues were also a concern The fact they called the center core lost so early on makes me wonder if they scrubbed the attempt based on data being reported on fuel/sensors. Technically I wouldn't call it a failure since it wasn't the first or second even primary goals.

• 2Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Im sure the space x will get plenty of cash floating up satellites for companies and other nations though as it will be much cheaper with reusable parts. Im sure nasa/gov will use them as well to do some contract work as well.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Daelos

Guarding the guardians

SpaceX has the BFR.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
the fuck I thought the whole point of the falcon heavy was to start sending shit to mars in prep for a manned flight.
It is for SpaceX. It is one thing to send shit over time to Mars and supply vessels. The SLS has much more load though and will be much more capable of not only sending people to Mars but bringing them back home on the same unit.
The SLS will be able to send twice as much to MARS or almost 40 tons compared to Falcon Heavy 18.5 tons after fuel.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Im sure the space x will get plenty of cash floating up satellites for companies and other nations though as it will be much cheaper with reusable parts. Im sure nasa/gov will use them as well to do some contract work as well.
The FH will be quite capable of supply runs to MARS and at a much lower cost than the SLS. NASA pretty much requires so many supply missions before advancing contracts anyways so it'll be a perfect money maker for them while at the same time doing it much cheaper than NASA can. SpaceX wants to do the it's own MARs thing too so business will be good. SpaceX in the end will make far more money than Tesla/Solar shingles and power banks ever could.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
It is for SpaceX. It is one thing to send shit over time to Mars and supply vessels. The SLS has much more load though and will be much more capable of not only sending people to Mars but bringing them back home on the same unit.
The SLS will be able to send twice as much to MARS or almost 40 tons compared to Falcon Heavy 18.5 tons after fuel.

Well ya but whats the price per ton on each? If the Heavy is so much cheaper why not just have 3+ heavies flying vs 1 SLS? Just some quick googling looks like the SLS will be 1.5-3b for two launches a year, where the heavy is like a 100m for a launch.

edit: rather I should say why is nasa wasting money when it could just buy heavy flights to do the same shit they wanna do?

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
SpaceX has the BFR.
The BFR is as planned will have 20T more than the SLS Enhanced. That only translates into about 2 more tons by the time MARS though. The real advantage to it is the girth. It won't only have the weight capability but the SIZE capability will be much larger, making for a better trip for sure. Once SpaceX gets the BFR fulling going, sadly it plans to retire the Falcon and Falcon Heavy. I'm sure that'll be 2030 or later before those are gone. All the other upcoming space companies will fill LEO demands instead and SpaceX will be MARS and beyond.

• 2Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Starman stream.

upload_2018-2-6_13-57-29.png

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Depends on the cargo. Obviously certain things just cannot be split up and peace -mealed together later in space. I think both will server their purpose.

• 2Like

Oldbased

> Than U
Depends on the cargo. Obviously certain things just cannot be split up and peace -mealed together later in space. I think both will server their purpose.
Yes this. While the heavy has great payload weight the capsule size wasn't all that great. Sure it is enough for a crew compartment and deep space supply but certain things like say a generator/reactor and oxygen machines and water condensers and god knows what else you can't really fold up. If you are on MARS you want the heavy duty Kitchen Aid machine, not the China blender.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
More space junk to break apart and fuck shit up in the future. AKA The Kessler syndrome.
I've drove down some highways like that. Just nothing but darkness and the road was way to long. Specifically in Kansas. Fuck that state. I feel bad for Starman, I hope he is playing Radar Love.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Well ya but whats the price per ton on each? If the Heavy is so much cheaper why not just have 3+ heavies flying vs 1 SLS? Just some quick googling looks like the SLS will be 1.5-3b for two launches a year, where the heavy is like a 100m for a launch.

edit: rather I should say why is nasa wasting money when it could just buy heavy flights to do the same shit they wanna do?
Pork Barrel Politics, that's why.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
He is a mad man!
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy book is in the glove box. Stupid space car facts.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users