The Astronomy Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
nasa can be so retarded at times, but man do I like when they do something cool, and they definitely come through a lot.

I hope they don't fuck up the james webb launch in a few months.

It would be depressing, but I would laugh hysterically

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Tight buttholes for months. It’s going to take it at least a month to get positioned, turned on, tested etc.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Perseverance has successfully processed CO2 from the Mars atmosphere into O2.
Not only can the process produce oxygen for future astronauts to breathe, but it could make hauling vast amounts of oxygen over from Earth to use as rocket propellant for the return journey unnecessary.
Bad science articles are bad. Kind of need fuel to go with your oxygen if you want a functioning rocket.

Whats the plan for fuel at Mars? Make methane somehow or bring it with you?

• 1Picard

Cybsled

All you need to make methane, component wise, is water + co2. You can get both on Mars, so you would need to identify a spot that has enough easily accessible water ice to both produce fuel and also water for the crew.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The 02 is as much a part of the fuel as the propellant. It's not like rockets burn atmospheric 02 even on Earth.
I know that, but when it comes to rocket fuel, fuel is a specific component of "rocket fuel", the oxidizer being the other aside from monopropellents. This article makes it sound like all you need is oxygen.

• 1Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
It's simply news confirming we can actually produce an essential ingredient for space travel elsewhere really, I was excited a bit reading about it, it wasn't new science or idea really, but using it for the first time on another planet is cool as fuck.

I'd rather they speed shit up and send regular missions to the Jupiter/Saturn systems, but whatever.

Cybsled

The Titan flyer mission being planned will be cool as fuck. It’s basically a flying chem lab that will try to examine the chemistry of Titan and see if it can identify signs of life or pre-life

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Crew-2 seems to have gone off without a hitch and they stuck the 1st stage landing as usual.

Both scary and great how routine this is becoming.

Cybsled

Last I checked, it would be 2022 at the earliest (assuming the test this summer goes as planned).