The Astronomy Thread

Moogalak

<Gold Donor>
Bought ourselves one of the seestar s50. We just received it a couple weeks ago, but I hadn't had a chance to mess with it until last night. I have to say, I am impressed at how easy it is to set up and use. The app is decent enough, could be improved. The wifi range on it is tiny, and your phone connects to the s50 wifi so you can control it. It has daytime capabilities: a solar filter so you can photgraph the sun, scenery mode which seems sketch af as the intro video literally shows the user pointing it at an apartment building in China at extreme long range, lol. It's quiet, lightweight and takes amazing exposures.

Here's some quick exposures we took in my backyard in DFW with nearly a full moon:
1703826245589.jpg

1703826754480.jpg

1703828212772.jpg

www.seestar.com

• 10Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Bought ourselves one of the seestar s50. We just received it a couple weeks ago, but I hadn't had a chance to mess with it until last night. I have to say, I am impressed at how easy it is to set up and use. The app is decent enough, could be improved. The wifi range on it is tiny, and your phone connects to the s50 wifi so you can control it. It has daytime capabilities: a solar filter so you can photgraph the sun, scenery mode which seems sketch af as the intro video literally shows the user pointing it at an apartment building in China at extreme long range, lol. It's quiet, lightweight and takes amazing exposures.

Here's some quick exposures we took in my backyard in DFW with nearly a full moon:
View attachment 506295

View attachment 506296

View attachment 506297

www.seestar.com
Still pretty impressive at that price point, thanks for sharing!

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Never heard of Vulcan before, had to google it. Turns out it's ULA's "next-gen" heavy launcher. But it's still only single use. I'd have thought single use - at least in the US market - was by now dead thanks to Space-X? I mean, can they launch cheaper on single use rockets than Space-X can on multi-use ones?

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Never heard of Vulcan before, had to google it. Turns out it's ULA's "next-gen" heavy launcher. But it's still only single use. I'd have thought single use - at least in the US market - was by now dead thanks to Space-X? I mean, can they launch cheaper on single use rockets than Space-X can on multi-use ones?
Money is hardly a consideration when the US government is paying for it...

It was still a good idea to have a backup program in place, in case Space-X failed. The chances of that are now only in the case of bankruptcy, though.

Cybsled

They still want redundancy if possible. SpaceX is doing great atm, but if something happened that prevented them from fulfilling that role, you want a viable 2nd launcher option

Otherwise you get that awkward period like we had between the shuttle and dragon for manned launches for example

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Going to get harder and harder to justify spending $$$ for single-use rockets. I hope the US Gov is shoveling some money to ULA to simply rip off SpaceX instead of funding old-space projects that will go from arguably obsolete to completely obsolete once Starship is ready.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
shoveling some money to ULA to simply rip off SpaceX

Easier said than done. You could outright give them the designs and tooling and they wouldn't have the human capital and institutional experience to pull off a launch.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
This is the new raptor style tech with the methane stuff. First one to reach orbit in the states.

Hilariously before ULA or SpaceX could do it, the chinese stole the tech and launched one mid last year.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>

Cybsled

That’s pretty awesome - I wonder how accessible it will be. Relatively warmer temps and access to plentiful water would be pretty good perks for future settlements or bases

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
ice 2 miles thick?...we could build a station in there, insulate and have unlimited water just on the other side of the walls
and with the ice, can seal pretty good for air tightness for pressurization most likely....

Cybsled

Building ON the ice wouldn't be that good an idea because you'd be sitting on top of a potentially unstable surface if it heated up.

Mars equator gets pretty warm on the surface...relatively speaking. Like up to 70F during the day during the summer, although then at night it goes back to -100 lol

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Building ON the ice wouldn't be that good an idea because you'd be sitting on top of a potentially unstable surface if it heated up.

Seems to work fine in Antarctica, and beyond a couple feet down it sounds like the Martian soil is well permafrosted. Failing all that we've already build entire cities on pilings. Subterranean is a better bet anyway; a bit of excavation and you've got ready-made radiation shielding.

Last edited: