The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Would help if I could kill them with any regularity, but only Summon methods are reliable for me - but then I've gotta run around an age to recharge.

And Needless, part of my OCD I guess.
It's been years since I've touched the game but what you describe means you're underleveled for them still. Look on Gamefaqs for the strategy to kill them but once you're strong enough, you'll be able to kill them in a single stagger. Once that happens, they go much faster. It's also important to not finish all the monster hunts because once you do, the regular turtles stop spawning and are replaced by Long Gui which are MUCH tougher. If you did that, there's still a single regular turtle in an old area of the game you can farm but you're looking at hours of killing the same turtle over and over again (mind you killing the same 3 or 4 turtles over and over in the open world isn't much better but the scenery is nicer).

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Definitely do not kill Long Guis for anything other than trophy for killing one of them. Adamantortoises and Adamantoises are easy to kill, just use Vanille's Hecatoncheir summon and then her Death skill on them after debuffing them fully. Besides the fact that Long Gui is immune to Death and never takes more than 999999 damage from it, Long Gui only has a 5% chance to drop ingots compared to 25% from Adamantoise/tortoise. As Angelwatch said, you definitely do not want to complete all the hunt missions (56-62, had to look that part up on the wiki) before you're done with the gil/trap farming.

Vaclav

Talking about Adamantoises - and I probably upgraded my weapons wrong is why - just upgraded the cheapest since it made the early game a breeze, but now it's a huge grind to get decent weapons ready for Toises.

Tried all the strategies - and can't get them in a single stagger with maxed Gaian Rings on and all 3 primary classes maxed with 1 secondary maxed on each char. Even doing it the Highwind method. Need two staggers and sometimes I get hit by a Stomp + Quake that kills the party before a heal can go off during the second attempt to stagger.

[Death of course works, but it ain't reliable]

That's why I've got to do Summons to be reliable since it basically makes the first stagger "free" then I can get the second off with it debuffed.

Replaying my pre-endgame save to get to the early Adamantoise and just gonna grind on him a while before moving on - seems easier since Summon is so mandatory for me and it's easy to remax TP there.

Vorph

From what I remember, Death hit often enough if you knock it down with Hecatoncheir and debuff it. Give Vanille a Malboro Wand and make sure the group is in SAB/SAB/SAB paradigm while trying to land it. I didn't care about trophies or farming excessive amounts of ingots, but I still had to kill a ton of them just to get the traps for three weapons.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Again, it's been awhile but I remember a critical component of killing them without death tricks is to use sentinels to soak the big attacks. It takes awhile to get to the 1 stagger kill capability but one there it's smooth sailing. I got very zen killing those things because the fight was extremely routine at that point.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Talking about Adamantoises - and I probably upgraded my weapons wrong is why - just upgraded the cheapest since it made the early game a breeze, but now it's a huge grind to get decent weapons ready for Toises.

Tried all the strategies - and can't get them in a single stagger with maxed Gaian Rings on and all 3 primary classes maxed with 1 secondary maxed on each char. Even doing it the Highwind method. Need two staggers and sometimes I get hit by a Stomp + Quake that kills the party before a heal can go off during the second attempt to stagger.

[Death of course works, but it ain't reliable]

That's why I've got to do Summons to be reliable since it basically makes the first stagger "free" then I can get the second off with it debuffed.

Replaying my pre-endgame save to get to the early Adamantoise and just gonna grind on him a while before moving on - seems easier since Summon is so mandatory for me and it's easy to remax TP there.
There's no need to go back to an earlier save if you've beaten the game. There's a portal back to Eden in Orphan's Cradle and you can just run back to the toise. What I did for farming the Eden toise with summons (before I was strong enough to kill it normally) was save next to him, do the summon->death routine, and just reset if he doesn't drop anything. That way you don't have to bother refilling your TP except when he actually drops something.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
So Final Fantasy III is coming to steam...

All Games Beta: Final Fantasy III coming to Steam with improved 3D visuals

Coming soon to Steam, Final Fantasy III has been optimised for PC gaming with new and improved 3D visuals and story sequences, and will include Steam Trading Cards and Achievements and new visual designs for the Job Mastery Cards.
Don't know why they chose that one out of all the titles have gotten graphics revamps...

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
I finished X-2 again (was the first time in 10 years). I only got 95% completion because, by the end, I just wanted to finish. I never finished the desert stuff, the giant robot stuff and the big dungeon in Bevelle (I've heard Trema is a pain without the ability to cheese him down with Trigger Happy antics).

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
So about ~3 hours into FF13-3 and it is pretty damn fun actually. Although, I just checked out a guide to see how much I've missed and according to the guide I'm already behind like ~6 hours from the guide lol. Oh wells, guess I gotta skip some of these side quests. :p Not sure if I really enjoy the whole time limit because I do like to just run around and explore the world, sometimes even just checking out the scenery, but I'm sure I'll get use to it.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Supposedly if you use the freeze time ability thing you get right around the time that you chase the cultists into the phone booth thing, time will never be an issue in the game.

I haven't really played but an hour total, so I can't comment for sure on how this really works out. *shrugs*

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Early game it's a bit hard to maintain but yeah eventually you can just more or less permanently lock time. The main annoyance is missing day specific quests early game, especially since a lot of the shit is also time sensitive(NPCs only spawning at night and shit like that). It's a fairly useless mechanic that doesn't add a whole lot and is actually stressing, so definitely disliked it. Rest of the game was pretty alright though even if the story was all kinds of fucked.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
How much will I actually miss if I don't follow a guide in ff13-3? I started to follow a guide from day 1 and part of 2 but it's just kinda meh to have to keep pausing and reading the guide and sometimes having to load my old save up if I don't find the area fast enough. Part of me wants to keep following the guide just so I don't miss a ton of stuff, but even following it I ended up already skipping some of the side quests just because I was running out of EP and the monsters that I was fighting were a little tougher and honestly just following a guide 100% of the time gets a little boring.

Like, I kind of want to run around and do my own thing but then if I don't get the ~20 side quests done i think it was I can't unlock the final day 13 and therefore can't actually beat the final story boss? Is it better to just run around and do your own thing the first playthrough then maybe use a guide the 2nd? So far, I like everything about the game except that damn timer lol, although I guess I'm still only starting Day 2 and EP is kind of a bitch to get atm.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
The first couple of days are the worst. You're trying to pack a lot into those days and work on the main quests as well. It also doesn't help that so much of the Main Quest stuff is time locked (like the whole Shadow Hunter / Children of Etro quest in the first city only being able to be done at night and some of it only between 12:00 am and 6:00 am. A lot of the sidequests aren't really intuitive either so they're easy to miss without a guide.

With that being said, letting the world end isn't the end of the world (pun intended). You simply get to start over and carry over pretty much everything you had to try again. It doesn't take much to really overpower the early stuff in this game. It's also worth noting that the last day is the opposite and can actually be a pretty big challenge. Normal enemies can be really rough and the final boss isn't a pushover (though with a lot of leveling and proper use of Outfits he's not terrible either).

It's all doable without a guide but you will miss stuff. But once you get past the really overwhelming part of the early game and all the quests, you'll likely sleep away the last few days if you've done everything up to that point just to get to the end of the world.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
I finished X-2 again (was the first time in 10 years). I only got 95% completion because, by the end, I just wanted to finish. I never finished the desert stuff, the giant robot stuff and the big dungeon in Bevelle (I've heard Trema is a pain without the ability to cheese him down with Trigger Happy antics).
The whole bottom half of the Bevelle dungeon is a huge pain now, fortunately you can cheese it now with monster teams. I decided to "try out" the creature creator and ended up getting hooked on it. 50 hours later, still haven't left the airship for the first mission in Gagazet. I'm pretty sure my Goon/Chocobo/Tonberry team will wipe the floor with Trema and the rest of the dungeon when I get there. They plow through Mega Tonberries like trash mobs right now and they still have some stat maxing left to do.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
Haven't had much time to play FF 13-3 this week so only ~9 hours in, but it's definitely getting a whole hell of a lot better and doesn't feel as "stressful" now that Day 1 and 2 are over. I don't feel as rushed anymore and I've now got a nice 3 garb setup I like. 1 AD focused, 1 Magic focused and 1 tank. Working out nicely now. Being able to get more EP every battle is nice too because yeah, you can really start to keep time frozen forever.

Crone

Anyone still playing BD? Any point in adding all those friend codes from when BD dropped back in Feb? haha

Friend of mine just got a 3DS and BD, and so I'm thinking about giving it a whirl. Only ever played the Demo.

Fadaar

That guy
Anyone still playing BD? Any point in adding all those friend codes from when BD dropped back in Feb? haha

Friend of mine just got a 3DS and BD, and so I'm thinking about giving it a whirl. Only ever played the Demo.
It'll help you max out your village a lot faster