The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Even if you take the worst nodes possible and "gimp" your characters, it makes almost no difference, it's just a couple of stat points, there is really no boss or fight that becomes unbeatable, or really any harder. in the main game, you just might have to switch once or twice more into a defensive paradigm and then back before you kill something, woopty-doo. In the hardest extra fights, your monster is doing most of the work anyway. I thought the game mechanics were engaging and fun but got repetitive, using the same paradigm order every single time. debuff, build gauge to stagger, deal damage, heal, start over. The story was fucking ridiculous. I've seen some crazy jap shit in my day but FFXIII-2's was just on a whole new level of "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT"

I still liked the game despite it all, and I'll give XIII-3 a chance, but the company is really being run into the ground. Everything about these games gets worse and worse - the plot gets more and more farfetched, the main characters get more and more effeminate/emo, the character progression gets more and more linear, time to beat gets shorter and shorter, everything.

The last straw for me is the goddamn DLC. 20 hours for the main quest, but for only $3.99 you can get an extra dungeon and another playable character! for $2.99 you can get an extra minigame! for $6.99 you can get a mini-expansion with a couple new areas, a new character, and a tiny bit more of the plot revealed! There's nothing I hate worse in a company than being nickel and dimed for this kind of shit.

I honestly don't understand why they don't put their resources into making a hi-def version of FFVII. Everyone knows it would make tons of money. Their company leaks money like a sieve because of terrible forecasting, so why don't they make a guaranteed moneymaker? Their line about "we won't remake an old one till we make something better!" is such bullshit. Yes, let's sit on a product that everyone wants until we spend 10 times as much on a product that they might maybe possibly want...

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I defend S-E and the recent FF games all the time, but if that's true about making International + Last Mission a DLC they can eat a fucking dick. I was going to buy it even though they pissed me off by not offering the two games separately (I'd never even consider playing X again), but there's no way I'm paying an extra $8 to get the only part of it I care about in the first place.

Sidian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I defend S-E and the recent FF games all the time, but if that's true about making International + Last Mission a DLC they can eat a fucking dick. I was going to buy it even though they pissed me off by not offering the two games separately (I'd never even consider playing X again), but there's no way I'm paying an extra $8 to get the only part of it I care about in the first place.
To be fair if you buy everything you're still only paying ~$52 which is still less then most new games now a day. Sure it's a remake of a game you've played years ago so who knows if it's really worth almost the price of a brand new game. Then again, if you're willing to buy it, you probably enjoyed 10 and 10-2 enough to want to pick up the HD so it's probably worth it.

Have to remember it's also two games you're getting, not just one, which makes the price even better.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Right, but I thought X was terrible and only want X-2 for the "DLC" parts that were never available in English before this. Them charging $5 for X International is even more absurd too, since that is just the PAL version and they didn't even have to do any localization work on it for this release.

Definitely won't be buying it day 1 no matter what, that's for sure. Even if the DLC rumors turn out to not be true, HD remasters are usually the absolute worst at holding their value and can often be found at 50% on Amazon within a month or two at most.

Chris

Potato del Grande
lol so as a European I have to pay for an extra DLC to get the game I got more than 10 years ago? No thanks.

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Or you can pay normal price and get the American version. I'm sure that it's far too awesome and full of freedom for you to handle, though.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Lets talk about some of the reasons FF3 is the best FF. For me it was Kefka, such a great antagonist.

How about you guys?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I cried when Cyan's family died from the poison. I can't believe such a cartoony game was so dark.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When I was younger, around 9 (which is a multiple of 3, 3 times 3 is 9 in case you were wondering), my older brother (he was 18, which is 6 times 3), accidentally erased my saved game. I had about 33 hours played but was just into the World of Ruin. Pretty terrible but what can I say? I'd play for 3 hours at a time and not do much.

Anyways he knew I'd be upset, but it was 3 in the morning and I'd be up in 3 hours probably to play on Saturday morning (It was March 3rd, 3/3 if you want the exact date this occurred), so he started a new game and tried to get me back to where I was. Lucky for him, I slept an additional 3 hours and he got pretty close to catching up. I only needed to play for 3 more hours before I got back to my previous spot, and other than being about 3 levels lower than where I was previously (wandering around for 3 hours at a time not progressing the story will do that to you), I wasn't very upset.

It wasn't until 6 years later that I realized Final Fantasy 3 was the best Final Fantasy ever when I sold my Super Famicom in order to buy a Playstation and play that steaming pile that was Final Fantasy 7.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Looks pretty gay.

Final_Fantasy_III.png

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
VII still comes out on top for me. 3/6 has lost a little bit of the shine over the years, although that's true to some degree about all of their replay values this far down the road. I'd probably rank 3/6 at #2 for me, with Tactics, 2/4, and X all bunched up right behind. Never really bought into the evil clown destroys the world then rules it from his tower of trash theme.