The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The voice acting pretty much made FFX unappealing for me. Some of it was decent (Auron for instance), some of it was horrid (Tidus for the most part). Even FFX-2 had better VO. If not for the story being good, I would have put the game down partway through and never finished it. Even then, I'm still horrified by:

Tidus: Dad?
Jecht: Yeah?
Tidus: ... Ihateyou!

Fucking horrible. Honestly.

(Granted, this is partly because it's eng dub. I've played part of FFX in Japanese with subs, and it's a hell of a lot better that way, IMO.)
I just never cared enough about the VO to begin with for it to affect my enjoyment of the game. I guess at that point it was a fairly novel thing so I wasn't expecting greatness. Auron was done well, and the rest was whatever really. The game itself had good combat, the sphere grid was pretty nice, and the overall story was pretty good. X was the last "good" FF for me, although I enjoyed the hell out of a good bit of 12, the story just really went to shit after a little while in.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Do you know why FF8 is my favorite FF game? Hate all you want I don't care. The game was good, and the card game was awesome. The story is underrated.

But the reason that was my favorite FF game is because I used to play it while blasting one of the most underrated... awesome albums ever

Powerman 5000's Tonight the Stars Revolt. Goddamn FF8 will live in my heart forever.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So you love a shitty FF game because it reminds you of a shitty album you used to listen to while you played it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Could just be internet toughguys, but people saying it's not new information and Neogaf jumped the gun

Chris

Potato del Grande
FFIX best FF
It's shit other than some of the music and exploration.

*No customisation in the battle system.
*Worse graphics than FF8.
*Retarded Japanese humour shoved down your throat OGLOP.
*Bad guy wears a thong.
*Bad guy underlings are wacky when the previous few games had them be badass.
*Necron from nowhere. (Well at least they added a boss instead of forgetting the last boss like FF12 did.)
*Lv1 townsfolk from newbie town go on holiday to the forgotten continent you just found, breaking immersion TWICE when otherwise it's the best part of the game.
*Worse card game than FF8.
*Side quest is finding where fucking hard to pinpoint photographs where shot.
*Side bosses look stupid.
*Swamp people.
*Black Mages. Sorry. They sucked.

It isn't a Final Fantasy game, it's an anniversary spinoff (hence the references) they promoted to main series for money.
FF10 = FF9
FF12 = FF10
FF13 = FF11
FF13v = FF12

The other games have niggles but only FF13 can beat FF9 for making a list of utter shite. FF is dead. Can we move on and stop making threads to remind us?

Sean_sl

shitlord
It's shit other than some of the music and exploration.

*No customisation in the battle system.
This is so wrong that it makes my brain hurt. FF9 had a fuckload of customization and has one of the better character advancement systems in Final Fantasy. Characters were also fairly unique combat-wise and had more differences between than than most characters do in most other FF games.

Siliconemelons

I also have to say, as odd and no THIS is the REAL BIG bad guy! That is FF9... The baddies did some shit... Kefka poisoned and killed a kingdom, and we will assume that all towns/etc are compressed representations of themselves or all FF worlds contain a world population of like 500 people....so yeah he killed a entire kingdom...but in FF9...what's this? The last of some race or something? Fuck em, summon big bad dragon and annihilate them, next... Now that I think of it, the peeling away layers of 'big bad guys' in 9 is more like the real world... I also like from 6 that Kefka is not the head guy of the empire until he just ups and kills em and takes over...but its fairly clear from the beginning he is the main enemy.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
What was the big bad guy in IX? Peel back the layers to find a shadow of a tree or some shit? Yeah, that onion could have stayed unpeeled.

I also just happened to have a couple tranced characters from my fight with Kuja before him so the fight ended in about 2 turns. Yeah, worst FF end boss ever.

Siliconemelons

What was the big bad guy in IX? Peel back the layers to find a shadow of a tree or some shit? Yeah, that onion could have stayed unpeeled.

I also just happened to have a couple tranced characters from my fight with Kuja before him so the fight ended in about 2 turns. Yeah, worst FF end boss ever.
Technically you kill Sepheroth in one hit in 7... /shrug... 4 and 6 final battles still are like top notch in my book, 1 was good also... if you didn't fully know what you where getting yourself into before going to 'the past' in FF1 you where limping your way to Chaos...but watching that fucker dissolve pixle by pixle was oh so worth it.

Arkk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Technically you kill Sepheroth in one hit in 7... /shrug... 4 and 6 final battles still are like top notch in my book, 1 was good also... if you didn't fully know what you where getting yourself into before going to 'the past' in FF1 you where limping your way to Chaos...but watching that fucker dissolve pixle by pixle was oh so worth it.
Fuck yar, Kefka and the rest of the tower of gods. I still pop a boner when I hear Dancing Mad.

Agreed on Zeromus and Chaos also being fantastic experiences. I enjoyed the Sephiroth fight(s) at the time as well (I was... 11? 12?), but looking back, it really just doesn't do much for me. I wasn't overly impressed with the Necron fight itself, but I did like the way they wrapped up FF9 overall. The rest of the final bosses ranged somewhere from flat-out "meh" (Cloud of Darkness, Undying) to "passable" (Exdeath).

Ultimecia (and the rest of FF8) can still eat a fat dick, though.

Edit: Oh right, and a special mention for the Jecht fight in FF10. I was rather impressed by that, and Otherworld still holds a special place in my heart.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Technically you're wrong. I'm not saying the fight with Sephiroth is hard, but that 'fight' after you beat his one winged angel form isn't a fight, it's a cinematic to show you omnislash if you haven't already unlocked it.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Everyone always loves Dancing Mad and One Winged Angel and they are beautifully orchestrated pieces for sure, but FFIV's Zeromus theme is the only one that gets my dick hard and makes me want tofuck some shit up.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
let us never forget the Atma Weapon battle on the flying island in FF3

Chris

Potato del Grande
This is so wrong that it makes my brain hurt. FF9 had a fuckload of customization and has one of the better character advancement systems in Final Fantasy. Characters were also fairly unique combat-wise and had more differences between than than most characters do in most other FF games.
Unique Characters:You have 2 rogues, 2 white mages, 2 black mages and 2 knights of slightly different flavours who share armour. You probally want one of each to take out enemies with different weaknesses and to have enough of the good gear for each. You are forced into Vaan (I know, I refuse to google it) as main character. The other white mage (Ecko?) appears late game and you need to grind to level her up. Quena is a fucking annoying frog person with fruity abilities so you are probally using Vivi - who shares abilities with Steiner. Logically that leaves you with Vaan/Vivi/Dagger/Steiner and no customisation unless you wanna gimp yourself/grind or use retard frog. Best I manged was having both White Mages and using the summons for elemental damage, which made using the Dragoon a logical posibility.

It's slightly worse than the other games as at least you can choose which character does which thing in those and use different ones. FF10 solved unique characters perfectly.

Character Advancement:If you loot the chests and buy everything from each shop, every character will have each skill at pretty much the same point in the game and all of them at the end of the game. The customisation was choosing which statuses you resisted? Which you could change at any time?

Yeah you can say the same about most of the others but only if you have learned the game, until then you had to discover how to get spells early (FF8) or which ones comboed well (FF7) or you didn't have enough time naturally to get them all (FF6). FF9 holds your hand through it. FF10 had fucking muticlassing of a sort at the end and FF5 had an absolutly INSANE amount of customisation.

Some of the FF games have outstanding battle/customisation systems (FF5/FF7/FF10), some have ones where they took a risk or it didn't quite work out in some ways but was still good (FF6/FF8/FF12). FF9 has a poor knockoff of FF6's thing and should never be held up as a "one of the best" example - they did this copying precisely because it was a nostalgia spinoff and not a main series game until they realised just how long FF10 would take and wanted more money.