The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Still not sold unless the volume setting goes up to 11 now
What else would it go to?

Side note, I am doing a home theatre in my basement and noticed my new Subwoofer volume goes to 11. Funny how that joke made it out into real products. I read there is one company that goes to 12 because everyone else was doing 11.

Chris

Potato del Grande
FF6 - The best of the six. I just hope they don't ruin the character sprites. The pixel art of this game is iconic and second-to-none and they already mangled a lot of the designs in earlier phone ports.
I saw something where they actually studied if graphics actually looked better back in the day or if it's just rose tinted glasses.

They figured out that the sprites were designed for the old style TV screens and the imperfections in those screns blurred the sprites to look better and less blocky.

The HD screens of today just make everything look worse. I remember for example FF10 looking a lot worse even with the remaster.

So they did some work with the sprites in the upcoming remakes to restore how they originally would have looked on an old monitor.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goonsquad Officer
Did terraria sprites vs ff6 sprites do some kind of graphical chicanery? Those seem to look nice

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
These are up on Android (well, the first 3). I got FF1. Monks are super-overpowered even at the beginning if you unequip their weapons (and leave them unequipped). In the NES version they started pretty weak barehanded, so this OP-ness is more like the PSP version. My Red Mage is basically useless compared to the two Monks so far...that doesn't seem right. Even the White Mage has more HP and attack power than the RM, by like 2x (they're level 3). Were levels always off-balance in FF1? I.e. one level gives you 30 HP, the next gives you 2.

I just defeated Garland in his bat coronavirus lab. I like the music remixes, but I wish there were an option for the original music.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
These are up on Android (well, the first 3). I got FF1. Monks are super-overpowered even at the beginning if you unequip their weapons (and leave them unequipped). In the NES version they started pretty weak barehanded, so this OP-ness is more like the PSP version. My Red Mage is basically useless compared to the two Monks so far...that doesn't seem right. Even the White Mage has more HP and attack power than the RM, by like 2x (they're level 3). Were levels always off-balance in FF1? I.e. one level gives you 30 HP, the next gives you 2.

I just defeated Garland in his bat coronavirus lab. I like the music remixes, but I wish there were an option for the original music.

In the original there was some kind of kind of dice roll regarding whether a level has a big hit point boost or a small hit point boost. Red Mages almost always end up behind White Mages in terms of HP. As a kid I used to use a game genie to double the RMs starting HP at level 1 just to keep that from happening.

Monks also benefit from wearing nothing so if you've got armor check their stats equipped/unequipped.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

The red mage is pretty average until end game. White mage is probably just stronger than you remember and really strong end game. The black mage was the only one that was really pathetic in regards to HP.

I did several play throughs as a kid using only one class for all four characters. It’s a fun challenge but the gear kind of sucks at the end because only one uber hammer drops for white mage, one dagger for black mage, etc. I think I beat it with all of every class except the thief. He’s just so average it sucked.

The monk is better with weapons to a point. I don’t remember when it changes but there’s only like three or four weapons that are better than bare handed. The first two maybe three nunchucks are better than bare, then it’s best to just stay bare the rest of the game.

I believe HP gains were randomized on level up.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I haven't seen anywhere whether FF2 has the extra content that was on the portables, with the Soul of Rebirth stuff.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The red mage is pretty average until end game. White mage is probably just stronger than you remember and really strong end game. The black mage was the only one that was really pathetic in regards to HP.

I did several play throughs as a kid using only one class for all four characters. It’s a fun challenge but the gear kind of sucks at the end because only one uber hammer drops for white mage, one dagger for black mage, etc. I think I beat it with all of every class except the thief. He’s just so average it sucked.

The monk is better with weapons to a point. I don’t remember when it changes but there’s only like three or four weapons that are better than bare handed. The first two maybe three nunchucks are better than bare, then it’s best to just stay bare the rest of the game.

Something else to keep in mind is that the class change impacts stat growth.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I tried resetting and doing level-ups over and I'm getting the same boosts even after a reset. Red Mage is totally left in the dust. Also, the Silver Sword was removed, further adding to the RM's uselessness.

I always wanted to try doing same-class challenges. I plowed the game with four Fighters, but I don't think I got to any of the others. 4x White Mage gets all the hype, but I'm sure 4x Thief is the real hardest one.

Something else to keep in mind is that the class change impacts stat growth.

No doubt it's better to do most of your leveling after the class changes. Any idea if Monk being exactly the same post class-change is fixed for this or other versions of FF1? IIRC the class-change does nothing for Monks in the NES version.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I tried resetting and doing level-ups over and I'm getting the same boosts even after a reset. Red Mage is totally left in the dust. Also, the Silver Sword was removed, further adding to the RM's uselessness.

Save scumming with an NES emulator was a chore and I suspect there was some seed number thing to manipulate somewhere through a particular and unintuitive speed run esque procedure.

No silver sword is a bitch. Is the Peninsula of Power still in there?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

I always wanted to try doing same-class challenges. I plowed the game with four Fighters, but I don't think I got to any of the others. 4x White Mage gets all the hype, but I'm sure 4x Thief is the real hardest one.

No doubt it's better to do most of your leveling after the class changes. Any idea if Monk being exactly the same post class-change is fixed for this or other versions of FF1? IIRC the class-change does nothing for Monks in the NES version.
So they changed the game a lot in these versions? Wtf is silver sword gone?

Also I looked up stat growth and it doesn’t seem like it’s as random as I thought, but this is talking about origins which was a rerelease and who knows if they made changes. Idk why they have to fuck with single player games on such minor shit.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Four white mage was the most fun, try it. It’s surprising how badass you are by the end when you start so slow. Four fighter and four monks was fun due to the high damage and high hp. Four black mage was rough but still fun. Thief just sucked.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Also I looked up stat growth and it doesn’t seem like it’s as random as I thought, but this is talking about origins which was a rerelease and who knows if they made changes. Idk why they have to fuck with single player games on such minor shit.

Can confirm Peninsula of Power is gone.

Also my Red Mage continues to be by far my worst character. I made him to have a ringer in the early game! At least with him I can see the new animations for Black Mage spells.

Screenshot_20210728-134348_FF1.jpg

Named my party after characters from 24.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Four white mage was the most fun, try it. It’s surprising how badass you are by the end when you start so slow. Four fighter and four monks was fun due to the high damage and high hp. Four black mage was rough but still fun. Thief just sucked.

I imagine with an all-Thief party the best bet is to book it to the class change as quick as you can. 4 Ninjas should be a decent party. Getting past Lich and his dungeon is probably the big mountain for a Thief group.

On a similar note I recently started a Dragon Quest 3 playthrough with 3 Goof-Offs, something I never tried before. By far the worst class, though at a certain point they metamorphosis into the best class. That has been a fun challenge so far:

Screenshot_20210727-140031_DQ3.jpg

This is basically HaremQuest. Named all three of them after exes.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

With the changes I've seen so far, and the FF1/FF2 pixel remasters most likely missing the postgame content added in other versions, I think it's safe to say the PSP version of those two games is still the definitive one. Wasn't the PSP version of FF1 the basis for the old phone version that this pixel remaster is essentially replacing, as well?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
With the changes I've seen so far, and the FF1/FF2 pixel remasters most likely missing the postgame content added in other versions, I think it's safe to say the PSP version of those two games is still the definitive one. Wasn't the PSP version of FF1 the basis for the old phone version that this pixel remaster is essentially replacing, as well?
I’m not sure. I’ve only played the NES and ps1 versions. I haven’t really gone through and played much of the bonus games/content out there for the early games so I’m not really sure what all the various revisions have done differently.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Finished FF1 Pixel. It's aight. Easier than the NES version, harder than the PSP version. Has the same stats on bosses / damage tables / etc as PSP, I believe. I thought it'd be more faithful to the original, which I was under the impression was the point?

No optional content, nothing to do at the end. I had fun, but only because I was overdue for an FF1 run. This doesn't bring anything new to the table and they reused most of the assets IMO.

Friend played FF3 Pixel and liked it a lot though. FF3 Pixel really is an entirely new version of that game with better balancing and saves.

Off-topic, but I also finished the DQ3 Goof-Off Run. These old RPGs are really not as long as I remember them being. The run was really tedious for the first 20 levels, then after I got the Sage class changes it got way easier. Still had some issues lategame and had to grind a lot for the final boss, though I was also able to beat the final boss at lower than normal levels. Having 3 Sages was actually pretty interesting, I recommend it.

• 1Like