The Authoritative Final Fantasy & Bravely Default thread

Kinkle_sl

shitlord
FFXIII was the first one that I didn't finish once I started, but with the positive reviews here of XIII-2 and for $10.00.... Can't pass that shit up.

Caliane

FF is probably a product of the advance of tech.
Kindof like Metroid.

The Japanese story telling tradition is not as good as US/Euro. And I'm going to outright say, not as good. not just shorter, or foreign. no. they suck. We see this in 90% of manga, and alot of anime, and obviously here in games. The newness, and foreign nature does sometimes allow for great revolutions, where they come things from a different perspective. Great leaps in visual storytelling, that we had gotten a bit away from.

But animators, and manga artists at least studied and put some effort into learning how to tell stories. And still often screw it up. But the game guys, well shit, even local games, telling a good story is beyond most of them. They are not story tellers.
Tech advancements gave these guys a chance to add a voice to their games they couldn't before. And suddenly now, we notice, we don't like what they have to say, and they can't really get what they want to say across to us well.

I fucking DARE you to make FF8 make any sense.

Golt_sl

shitlord
God you fuckers are gonna eventually make me finish FF13 just so I can play 13-2 even though I probably don't need to. Irks me i haven't beaten it with the completionist side in me, but ugh is it hard to get the drive to play that again. Why can't they continue making FFT type of games?! Is it just not that popular? I mean with the Disgaea series, albeit a bit different and way more complex in some areas, i would think that type of gameplay is still popular - i mean look at x-com. Similar type of style, different setting but people eat up FF stuff still. And i do not count FFT Advanced as a true continuation of the series.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
For the dedicated FF fans, tonight sees the launch of an IOS port of a DS title -Theatrhythm-final-fantasy-shows-up-on-ios-app-store/

Good news - It's free to try two of the songs and I believe one character.

Bad news - 13 sets of 4 songs at $2.99 a bundle, 59 further individual songs at 99c each and 25 characters at $1.49 each as IAP giving you a total purchase price of $150. For $30 the DS version comes with all the characters and 70 songs...

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
How about Shadow returns, who the fuck cares about Lightning. From the get-go I hate what the Wikipedia article says about the game, you only control Lightning, you have Snow of all people talking to you via intercom(how did he survive for 100years btw, was all the team frozen in crystal? I skipped XIII-2 so maybe it's explained there). And you have to replay the game multiple times to see everything while still being rushed by time, which doesn't sound very fun but could be interesting, kinda, only that unless the cutscenes involve naked Tifa or Sabin supplexing TWO trains, I probably won't give a fuck, and that's especially true if they involve any of the XIII cast in any shitty cameo, besides black guy I forgot the name of, I liked him.

At least they're trying something new I guess, but meh. Also all that XIII stuff means they're delaying XV forever. I wouldn't mind if XIII was a great original setting but it was fairly shitty. X was much better and I wouldn't have minded playing X-3 or whatever.

Proc_sl

shitlord
FFXIII was the first one that I didn't finish once I started, but with the positive reviews here of XIII-2 and for $10.00.... Can't pass that shit up.
FFXIII ... I forced myself through ~4 hours or so and walked away disgusted. 10$ though. I'll give it a shot.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
FF3 (FF6 in Japan) was the best game I ever played. Next would be Earthbound then EQ.
Still have working Earthbound for my working SNES /brag off.

I make sure to go back and beat it once every few years. Got the Sword of Kings this playthrough for ultimate luls

Itzena_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_1861.jpg

rrr_img_1861.jpg

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I was at the 25 year Anniversary of FF concert in Chicago last week. Was pretty awesome how they did the Opera scene. There were 3 opera singers (Maria, Draco, and Prince Ralse), a narrator, the orchestra (of course), and a giant screen that showed a playthrough of the Opera Scene in FF6.

My favorite scene as a kid was always in FF4 when Golbez comes after Calabrena and fucks you up. Then right before Cecil is about to eat it, MYST DRAGON OUT OF NOWHERE MOTHERFUCKER - ITS RYDIA AND SHE'S BACK TO BE THE BEST CHARACTER IN THE GAME. I get a huge erection just thinking about that part.
That scene, along with pretty much every scene, is even better on the DS remake. Better audio, better dialogue, and Rydia is even more OP on the DS than she was in previous versions.

Still have working Earthbound for my working SNES /brag off.

I make sure to go back and beat it once every few years. Got the Sword of Kings this playthrough for ultimate luls
I only farmed that fucking thing once, but sweet jesus does it ever lay out an assbeating once you have it.

*edit*

I see your trainplex and raise you a selfplex.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I don't really know how I rank them, but I played 7 years after its release, and it had no where near the nostalgic raking that everyone gives it - Don't get me wrong, it was an enjoyable game. I just wasn't that blown away by it. I enjoyed 12 the most, 10 was good.

I know there were strong Japanese games import scenes in France and Germany too - was it anything like that in the US?
fe99X.jpg

I never knew anyone to import. We traded roms on irc via dcc and hacked ftp sites. (.smc = super magicom)

I failed to play through ff5 so many times without a translation. When the translation was finally in a decent state (it took forever) I almost couldn't even bring myself to get past the intro. It'll be years before I can play ff7 again after so many false starts in Midgar. I don't get the urge to replay any except 1-7 (sans 2) and tactics. Chalk it up to nostalgia perhaps, but even some of those fan-made rpgmaker games are more enjoyable than the current stuff. Maybe that douche playing Asteroids in the arcade 30 years past its prime really is me.

The whole drama around Celes and Terra and the destruction of the world really cements ff6 in the #1 spot. So good.

fe99X.jpg

syeren_sl

shitlord
For the dedicated FF fans, tonight sees the launch of an IOS port of a DS title -Theatrhythm-final-fantasy-shows-up-on-ios-app-store/

Good news - It's free to try two of the songs and I believe one character.

Bad news - 13 sets of 4 songs at $2.99 a bundle, 59 further individual songs at 99c each and 25 characters at $1.49 each as IAP giving you a total purchase price of $150. For $30 the DS version comes with all the characters and 70 songs...
I expect this to do really well with how solid the base / core game is.

You have to remember that to the morons who think smart phones have killed handheld consoles that this is a lot of content and will quite happily buy a few of the in-app purchases.

It would be nice if any figures are released on how it does, but I doubt that will happen unless it's a huge success.

khanable_sl

shitlord
Sean has convinced me to play FF13-2. I already own the damn game, I guess I'll finally try it.

(yes I am that guy that owns every FF but hasn't played a couple of them)

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
On Sean's recommendation I picked up a while ago FFXIII-2 and have gotten a couple hours into it.

Does the game ever pick up though? I will admit, I've never played any other FF game, except a very short time in FFXI because it was an MMO.

I feel like the story isn't THAT interesting, the fights are easy, and everyone just talks way too damn much.

Compare FFXIII-2 start with Dragon Age start where within the first 20 minutes I've slain some pansy human bitches, and then got rocked by a poison trap while trying to kill some zombies. Hell ya!

Kinkle_sl

shitlord
On Sean's recommendation I picked up a while ago FFXIII-2 and have gotten a couple hours into it.

Does the game ever pick up though? I will admit, I've never played any other FF game, except a very short time in FFXI because it was an MMO.

I feel like the story isn't THAT interesting, the fights are easy, and everyone just talks way too damn much.

Compare FFXIII-2 start with Dragon Age start where within the first 20 minutes I've slain some pansy human bitches, and then got rocked by a poison trap while trying to kill some zombies. Hell ya!
Although I haven't played XIII-2 yet, pretty much all FF games are relatively easy in terms of the main storyline. Typically though there will be considerably more difficulty available through non-required mobs/dungeons. As far as its pace, this is not an American RPG. Dragon Age is. Pretty much sums up the differences in the games all by itself. While Dragon Age was a great RPG, it never offered anywhere near the character involvement that you might expect out of a FF game.

I'm on backorder on my XIII-2 purchase btw, Squeenix bastards.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
started at V, stopped at XII (the only one besides VIII that I didn't finish)

Szlia

I never knew anyone to import. We traded roms on irc via dcc and hacked ftp sites. (.smc = super magicom)
We had those too (I owned one from another brand and I even have some disks still, but I traded the thing for god knows what) and I remember buying copied games from the friend of a friend of a friend who ran a BBS. They surfaced several years after the release of the Super Famicom (SNES) though, which is when the import scene really picked up. It existed before in two niches: Famicom (NES) knock-offs from Hong-Kong that were sold in some video stores and PC-Engine (Turbo GraphX 16) with it's CD-Rom add-on that pretty quickly found an official distributors in Guillemot (the distribution branch of what is now Ubi Soft). Pretty crazy to think these guys were officially distributing a console and games that were 100% japanese, the only localization being a Xeroxed leaflet inside the jewel case and, when needed, a sticker with a readable name!

Oh and Caliane is totally insane or very ill-informed... or both!
smile.png

smile.png