The Beer Thread

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Every review I've read said the grapefruit is overpowering but I can't taste it in the least. I got scammed.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Buddy of mine just sent me a message asking if I had the Watermelon Dorado. I made a trip to BevMo this weekend and the guy there was raving about it and saying how great it was. Unfortunately for me I hate watermelon, so I didn't even bother with it. Buddy of mine told me it is his new favorite beer. Says the watermelon flavor is really mild.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I'm just not a fan of pepper beers. Especially since these sculpins are like $13 a 6 pack I don't want to buy it, try it out and then end up pouring half the bottles down the drain.

I also only got one Pineapple beer. My wife was fiending on them.
Oh yeah, I wouldn't buy a 6pack, but if you can get a sample or single of it, I'd recommend trying it.

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
I would not have guessed that would be good, that's a ton of aroma hops. Great, now I'm curious.
We had a hop mead from a local producer that got us interested in it. It's more mild than I thought it would be, especially after smelling the hops in it after re-racking.

I'm going to track down some mosaic hops to try a single hop version. The recipe turned out surprisingly unsweet so they should work really well.

Here's the recipe:Hop-Head IPA style Hopped mead recipe - Meadist

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Buddy of mine just sent me a message asking if I had the Watermelon Dorado. I made a trip to BevMo this weekend and the guy there was raving about it and saying how great it was. Unfortunately for me I hate watermelon, so I didn't even bother with it. Buddy of mine told me it is his new favorite beer. Says the watermelon flavor is really mild.
That's weird every single review from friends was that it's absolutely awful and the watermelon is that fake flavor that's very off putting.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Every review I've read said the grapefruit is overpowering but I can't taste it in the least. I got scammed.
When I drink it side-by-side with a regular Sculpin I also find the added grapefruit to be very subtle compared to the original. I actually picked up more grapefruit-pith notes than actual grapefruit flavor. But, as stated earlier, everyone's palate is different.

On another note, Melvin Brewing is starting to become more widely available, if you can find it I highly recommend it. They are doing some pretty amazing things with hoppy styles. My local bottle shop has a good supply of the stuff right now and I'm very happy about that.

rrr_img_130627.jpg

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
That's weird every single review from friends was that it's absolutely awful and the watermelon is that fake flavor that's very off putting.
Funny thing about that. I asked the BevMo guy about the Pineapple Sculpin, and he said he didn't like it for the exact reason you state. He said the pineapple tasted very artificial, and not nearly subtle enough. Yet he raved about the Watermelon.

Different tastes and all that I guess.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Funny thing about that. I asked the BevMo guy about the Pineapple Sculpin, and he said he didn't like it for the exact reason you state. He said the pineapple tasted very artificial, and not nearly subtle enough. Yet he raved about the Watermelon.

Different tastes and all that I guess.
I read reviews on BA saying the pineapple had a metallic aftertaste which I did not get that flavor, either

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Next time I'm in Orange County I need to make a trip over there. I haven't had a single Bruery brew I have not enjoyed.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Mmm have you had the Mocha wednesday yet? I have Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday from 2015 sitting that I want to do a horizontal of sometime this year... but I need to make sure my friends and I have no plans the next day or two.
This will be the first of any of the mon,tue,wed line for me. Definitely looking forward to it.

Next time I'm in Orange County...
Let me know, we can meet up if you're interested.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Had this last weekend and it was absolutely delicious. For an 11.5% beer it was incredibly smooth. I am actually going to run to BevMo to see if I can find some more of it.

1BjABLA.jpg

I got it from my cousin, who very amusingly was called a hipster by Alex. My cousin was so pissed off about it, and I laughed my ass off at him. Good times.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Because he made some comment about how he had been drinking Pliny the Elder for years, which is true, but it was also a very Hipster statement to make. When he first introduced me to Pliny, you could get it much easier and it was only $6 bucks a bottle instead of the $8.50 it is now.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Because he made some comment about how he had been drinking Pliny the Elder for years, which is true, but it was also a very Hipster statement to make. When he first introduced me to Pliny, you could get it much easier and it was only $6 bucks a bottle instead of the $8.50 it is now.
8.50 a 22oz (750ml)? Fuck that's cheap. Even a 12oz that's cheap.