The Beer Thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Just got back from the FSW Invitational. Whoever said Dark Lord sucks is right. Just awful. Zombie Dust is really good though. Honestly my favorites are probably the ones Stone brought. Surprisingly good Mocha IPA.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Just got back from the FSW Invitational. Whoever said Dark Lord sucks is right. Just awful. Zombie Dust is really good though. Honestly my favorites are probably the ones Stone brought. Surprisingly good Mocha IPA.
Are you into wilds/saisons? Cause Side Project absolutely kills it I was actually there in St Louis about a week ago. I know they brought a bunch of their more exclusive stuff.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yes they did and it was theonlyline that we looked at and were like "naw fuck that". It was DEEP the entire day. Never died down.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The local sports talk guy here went to London recently. He said the new hipster thing to do in London is to now drink American macro beers. Apparently the new thing there is to advertise you have Bud and how cold the beer is ... basically exactly like what all the beer "hipsters" in the states despise. I thought it was an interesting take. Also kind of like how it is hip in London to be a fan of American football instead of soccer which is also pretty much the exact opposite of American hip.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
So a buddy of mine ended up on a flight with the (I think) head brewer from Alpha Brewing out of St. Louis. Dude sent my buddy 6 bottles for sampling. I got to try the Hunny Do Brew (12% Belgian Quad aged in bourbon barrels), Ros? Saison, and Wicca Wheat, all of which I thought were fantastic. The Wicca Wheat did have some brett sour/funk to it which was a little unexpected based on the name/bottle.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Had some Harpoon Leviathan IPA over spring break in FL. Can't get it here but god damn it it was good.

I think I'm going for some Short's Huma Lupa Licious for Friday night festivities tonight.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I picked up an Otter Creek's Fresh Slice while doing a build a six last week because it was the first time I had ever seen a white IPA. Knowingly at least, since I'm not an IPA guy at all and my eyes usually just pass right by as soon as I notice the acronym on the label but I was curious if it would be any different from the few IPA's I've tried. It ended up being pretty good. Had a very citrusy flavor. I went back to get a full six pack of it but all they had left were 3 single bottles in the build a six section. Figures ...

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Blue Point makes a really good white IPA too. Probably my favorite of that style.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Chainbreaker (white IPA) might be the only Deschutes beer I don't care for.

Khane

Deschutes makes a lot of very mediocre to bad beer. When I was out on the west coast and went to their brew pub they had a "sour IPA" and I thought "Right up my alley, let me try it".

It tasted like toilet water smells. It was fucking atrocious. In fact, half of the beer I had there was downright terrible. It was the only bad beer experience I had in Portland.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Deschutes makes a lot of very mediocre to bad beer. When I was out on the west coast and went to their brew pub they had a "sour IPA" and I thought "Right up my alley, let me try it".

It tasted like toilet water smells. It was fucking atrocious. In fact, half of the beer I had there was downright terrible. It was the only bad beer experience I had in Portland.
Really? That stuff must be specific to that brew pub, as I love most of their big bottle beer and really dig Obsidian and Black Butte.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah Deschutes is typically top notch. Fresh Squeezed is one of my favorite beers.

Khane

I only had the beer that doesn't get bottled/distributed outside of the brewery because I wanted to try stuff I wouldn't otherwise be able to get. There's a reason those beers don't get distributed.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I only had the beer that doesn't get bottled/distributed outside of the brewery because I wanted to try stuff I wouldn't otherwise be able to get. There's a reason those beers don't get distributed.
Yeah, I sort of look at the brew pubs as a testing ground where they subject the locals and tourists to stuff that's not going to be great.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Except for when you go to Russian River where you can get Shadow of a Doubt. Maybe the best beer they make.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Except for when you go to Russian River where you can get Shadow of a Doubt. Maybe the best beer they make.
That's their production facility isn't it? I honestly don't know, but I look at those differently (maybe that's just MN's shitty laws coloring my opinion). Like the GI beers were one thing, but the beers at the GI brew pubs were different unless they were the mass produced ones; there were some good ones, some bad ones, and some great ones. The beers at Surly's tap room are great, but if they had an offshoot in Chicago or something and had a different brewer there, I wouldn't assume they'd be awesome.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Russian River has both a brewpub and a production brewery (which doesn't have any sort of tap room/restaurant).