The Beer Thread

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
One of the best beers out right now is Calm Before The Storm by Ballast Point.

Currently drinking one of these. I'm enjoying the overall flavor and digging the coffee notes at the end but I'm not sure I want more than 1 or 2 of these guys in a night.

Ryoz

<Donor>
I'm really on a sour and saison kick. If you've never tried a sour ale Monks Cafe Flemish Sour Ale is a solid choice!

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
I really like Goose Island's farmhouse ale. A local brewery has started putting out a reasonably priced sour as well that comes in a 6 pack.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
ermagerd

CVVD58OUEAAxsrg.jpg

The Habanero Sculpin is no joke.

So I've run into the problem from homebrewing with the roommate. Anything in a batch larger then 5 gallons is just too macro for our liking.

In all seriousness, homebrewing is fantastic. We buy kits from www.northernbrewer.com when they have sales. We just picked up 6 different IPA kits for 20$ a piece. After yeast and water (and i guess a bit of propane) it comes to 30$ per 5 gallons.

I will say fuck bottling. We have a keg and I will not do it any other way. It takes 2-3 days to gas, versus 2-3 weeks, no bottles to deal with, no popped bottle caps.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I went to Free State Brewing Co last Sunday in Lawrence, KS. Time was limited (had to drive home to St. Louis area) so I only tried the Ad Astra and the Oatmeal Stout. I was relatively pleased but I had them in draught form so I don't know how well that translates into bottles. Anyone drink the Free State bottled beverages???

kudos

<Banned>
Got Double Barrel Huna? or Cali Brandy?
No. I have Decoherence though from El Cat round 3 which is better in my opinion.
Cigar City said:
This beer is a double-barrel aged coffee coconut imperial stout and it is actually a blend of an imperial stout aged in Brandy barrels and an imperial porter aged in Bourbon barrels. The blend is then aged on Buddy Brew roasted coffee beans and toasted coconut before being packaged in 750ml bottles.

kudos

<Banned>
If you guys are ever in San Diego you can hit up one of the beer tours down there. We did one that hit Ballast Point, Green Flash and Alesmith and it was fucking glorious.
I just got back from SD for a 2 week business trip and we went to Ballast Point + Stone in Escondido. Both were amazing. The food at both was amazing too. Just great places.

I think I'll probably be hitting up Coronado Brewing this week as I gotta fly back out to San Diego tomorrow. I will definitly be eating at Stone but probably the Liberty Station location. Their draft list is so good I see no reason to really visit other breweries.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I just got back from SD for a 2 week business trip and we went to Ballast Point + Stone in Escondido. Both were amazing. The food at both was amazing too. Just great places.

I think I'll probably be hitting up Coronado Brewing this week as I gotta fly back out to San Diego tomorrow. I will definitly be eating at Stone but probably the Liberty Station location. Their draft list is so good I see no reason to really visit other breweries.

stone is great. there's a fill station in Pasadena, CA where they truck up kegs of limited batches for growler fills and tastings. I get there as often as I can.

in the meantime, i'm having some of this and loving it:

_MG_7063.JPG

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I haven't seen that one yet. Will have to pick that up if I see it around. Ballast Point usually kills it with the fruit flavors.

Alpha

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I just got into Victory's Golden Monkey. It's a Belgian Triple at 9.5%... Tastes pretty damn good while remaining smooth and gets ya drunk.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Saw this for the first time yesterday and picked up a sixer. It settles in behind Rodenbach Caractère Rouge as my second favorite sour.

Lagunitas%2BAunt%2BSally.jpg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah Aunt Sally is very good. Haven't tried a Lagunitas sour I didn't like.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
nice, haven't tried that... i'll give it a go

speaking of sours (does this count?), have you guys tried this? some buddies brought em out to a round of gold... interesting... not quite sure what I think

12548975_10153729516922752_7010658625685684945_n.jpg

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I don't like the flavor of grapefruit in general so I was a little unsure about this one but I've enjoyed everything that I've tried from Wicked Weed and I like goses so I gave it a whirl. It didn't disappoint. The grapefruit is very subdued and the flavor wasn't as salty as any other gose I've had. It could almost pass as a sour. Very well balanced.

5101cd810b7c4696655e739b388ba99b_640x640.jpg