The Beer Thread

Alpha

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Got some of this stuff, I read it's considered a mead... If it's anything like the honey wine I've had in Spain I'll enjoy it and at 19% I'm glad I only got one.

viking_blod__56865.1343620754.1280.1280.JPG

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
We had a keg of Leffe Blonde at dragoncon and it just wasn't very good. A few of our pack loved it, and they were the ones that recommended it, but they tend to not drink much beer and I see why now. At first sip it was kind of a smokey fat tire, but it didn't have that tasty hop taste at the end.

In positive news, my Drinktanks 32 was grand, and served me and several others well throughout the weekend. I didn't drink very much though as I've been on keto for months and drinking made me feel really awful. I sort of skipped any buzz and went straight to hangover.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Got some

View attachment 4942

Was looking for a tasty summer beer. Not bad, has a nice lemony taste to it. Now I'm gonna go outside and grill up some brats.

I was addicted to that a few summers back because Costco had it cheap and often.

This summer was all about trying every Cider I can find. Most are pure sugar and t oo rich to drink enough to get a buzz, but I conquered the problem. I drink Sake with a Stella Cidre back.

momokawapearlnew__14552__56015.1358534246.1280.1280.jpg

100716472-stella.530x298.jpg

Pretty damn refreshing taste combo on a smoking hot night.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I've only tried a few meads and I haven't liked any of them. They haven't had enough body to hold up to the alcohol so it cuts right through and overpowers the flavor.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I really like Woodchuck cider, especially Gumption. If you can find a bottle of Iceman from Angry Orchard it is really good too and is around 12% alc.

• 1Like

kudos

<Banned>
I liked cider a few years ago but it's just too fucking sweet for me now.

I've been drinking a backlog of FBS from 2015. I barely notice a difference.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
If I want something ciderish I go with something like Unibroue's Ephemere Apple. It's green apple so it's not overly sweet and it still tastes like a beer. It's very heavily carbonated, almost to the point of being like a champagne.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I miss beer (and scotch). I should stay out of this thread. Fuckin deployment life, such balls.

Someone illegally ship me some Pliny.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I went to Monk's Kettle for some day drinking on Saturday. Enjoyed a Pliny on tap.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I grew up in Santa Rosa, I know all about that Pliny life! Only had the Younger once, though. Kinda overrated for the wait time associated with getting it. Elder is just fine for me. blah can't wait to be home

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
If I want something ciderish I go with something like Unibroue's Ephemere Apple. It's green apple so it's not overly sweet and it still tastes like a beer. It's very heavily carbonated, almost to the point of being like a champagne.

Unibroue's beers always fucks me up for some reason. I swear, that carbonation in basically all their beers makes their 8-9% ABV feel like the equivalent of multiple shots. La Fin Du Monde puts me on my ass quick, it is deceptively strong. Seems I can drink bombers of bourbon-aged stouts that hover 12-18% without issue, but a bottle of LA Fun Du Monde already gets me somewhat buzzed (and happy). It is uncanny

Last edited:

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Just left Alex Alex at the Hop Grenade for the Aroma Coma tasting. Had Drake's Aroma Coma, Aroma Prieta, and Aroma Therapy on tap. Coma and Prietta were delicious, but Therapy was a bit much. Aroma Prieta was definitely the best of the night though.

Unfortunately we couldn't stay out because we had to come home and take care of the little ones.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
eah, also. I have had some of this shit recently, and it is fucking delicious.

6pack_bottle_photoprint.jpg

Also this which is fantastic, but apparently it is all gone until next year. I am not really into fruit beers, but holy shit was this stuff amazing.

Dogfish-Head-Flesh-Blood-IPA-12-ounce-Bottles.jpg

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Saw quite a bit at a number of stores but didn't pick any up. Maybe some is still around...

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Are festivals usually for brief periods of time? It will take me 2 hours to get to this and it is only a 3 hour event. Of course I can eat bbq while I am in that town, but there is no way I will get to sample as many brews as I would like....and remain upright What's On Tap
Advice from you experienced festival goers is humbly requested.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
A guy at work started brewing his own with the help of a friend that has a few years experience. Offered me a bottle from his first batch, a brown style ale with banana at ~ 7% abv. I thought it sounded weird but I'm down to try weird stuff, and wanted to be supportive.

It actually turned out pretty solid. The banana isn't strong enough to really impart much real banana flavor, but it adds some hefe-like notes that made it pretty interesting. A little high on carbonation, but overall very drinkable and pretty damn refreshing.

kudos

<Banned>
Are festivals usually for brief periods of time? It will take me 2 hours to get to this and it is only a 3 hour event. Of course I can eat bbq while I am in that town, but there is no way I will get to sample as many brews as I would like....and remain upright What's On Tap
Advice from you experienced festival goers is humbly requested.
3 hour beer festival is pointless. The lines are going to be huge so you'll probably get 6 4oz beers in 3 hours.

If you go try to find the brewery nobody cares about and just sit there and drink up.

• 1Like