The Beer Thread

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Gave this a try and it tastes exactly like what the label says; banana bread. None of that imitation banana flavor either. Was nice for a little change of pace
That flavor is from wheat beers brewed a bit warmer, so you can get it in dunkelweissen beers too, though a lot of them will have some clove or spice taste as well.
I loved the Well's beer when I had it, though I don't normally go looking for it.

CeNo65_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_6053.jpg

kitchen shelves have just enough room to fit these atop.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Want a Surly growler (it'll be empty). I've got a bunch from MSP if you want them as collectibles. Harriet, Fulton, Town Hall, Fitger's, Steel Toe, etc.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
rrr_img_5859.jpg

Gave this a try and it tastes exactly like what the label says; banana bread. None of that imitation banana flavor either. Was nice for a little change of pace
Agree I have one of these whenever I'm at a place that serves it, nice change of pace and tasty.

CeNo65_sl

shitlord
Want a Surly growler (it'll be empty). I've got a bunch from MSP if you want them as collectibles. Harriet, Fulton, Town Hall, Fitger's, Steel Toe, etc.
Thanks man but I only collect them from places I've been to. I think ill be getting stationed in Milwaukee next year so ill be sure to hit you up for advice on a MSP weekend trip.

I think there are 60+ breweries in San Diego alone and I have yet to venture to all of them. I just did a east coast brewery trip with my gf from S Carolina to Maine and stopped at a quite a few places. I thought it was going to be great but 2 weeks of drinking every day really drains you. The bigger growlers with the metal handles are on another shelf. (cant stand the high prices on those, so its just the ones that are worth it it, Hess, Ironfist, Victory, Ommegang)

Many of the new breweries in SD just use plain brown glass and hang their tag on it. as the one below from Will Ferrells charity pub crawl a few weeks back.
rrr_img_6194.jpg

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I have been known to drink this sometimes in the summer. Also like Leinenkugel's Fireside brown ale when I'm too cheap to buy Newcastle. Somebody on FOH recommended their "summer shandy" though and I found it quite revolting, like somebody poured a coors light into a glass of lemonade.
Ditto. I like their Sunset Wheat but the Summer Shandy is just bitter in a bad way. They've actually made another one that's even worse. Well, worse if you're wanting something that actually tastes like a beer. Their Lemon Berry Shandy tastes like some sort of off-brand cherry cola. It's doesn't taste bad per se, but when your taste buds are all ready for a beer, it's a letdown.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Thanks man but I only collect them from places I've been to. I think ill be getting stationed in Milwaukee next year so ill be sure to hit you up for advice on a MSP weekend trip.

I think there are 60+ breweries in San Diego alone and I have yet to venture to all of them. I just did a east coast brewery trip with my gf from S Carolina to Maine and stopped at a quite a few places. I thought it was going to be great but 2 weeks of drinking every day really drains you. The bigger growlers with the metal handles are on another shelf. (cant stand the high prices on those, so its just the ones that are worth it it, Hess, Ironfist, Victory, Ommegang)

Many of the new breweries in SD just use plain brown glass and hang their tag on it. as the one below from Will Ferrells charity pub crawl a few weeks back.
rrr_img_6194.jpg
The tag thing is awesome. MN's laws are dumb, so once a brewery gets too big it can't sell growlers anymore. Let me know when you move and when you plan on coming to MSP, I can get some spots on the Surly tour.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
KBS is also my favorite beer. It really is amazing.
Don't know if it was mentioned, but if you love KBS (as I do) you should also try to get your hands on Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout when it releases (which was just recently, and may be hard to find now)

Here are some of my favorite beers in no particular order:

Imperial Stouts:

Siren Noire- Heavy Seas, Clipper City Brewing (American Chocolate Imperial Stout) Good when fresh, amazing when aged)
Kate The Great- Portsmouth Brewery (Russian Imperial Stout) I went for Kate Day a few years ago and snagged 4 bottles, drank one fresh, and then again on the year anniversaries for 3 years. The 3 year was absolutely amazing.
Bourbon County Stout- Goose Island (American Imperial Stout) This is the best imperial stout I've ever had. It tastes amazing fresh and I can only imagine how well this beer ages. They also make various flavors such as a coffee version of this stout.
Kentucky Breakfast Stout- Founder's (American Imperial Stout) This beer is a very, very close second for me to the Bourbon County Stout. It's absolutely delicious.
Canadian Breakfast Stout- Founder's (American Imperial Stout) This is similar to the KBS but it is aged in maple syrup barrels instead of bourbon barrels. Hard to get but worth it. Most people say they prefer this one to KBS but I prefer KBS. Then again I love bourbon.
Cherry Imperial Stout- Blue Point Brewery (Russian Imperial Stout) This beer is also a sour and when you can get it on draft (which is the only way you can get it I believe) it is very very nice. Not as complex as the others listed here but very good with only a slight hint of cherry... not at all overpowering and still letting the other roasty notes traditional to this style come through

I was going to list all my favorites from various styles but now I'm bored. I'll come back to it later with some Belgians, Hefes, IPAs and the like.

quse

the pupe
Found the Young's Double Chocolate Stout! Usually not a stout fan, but this is amazing - basically everything I was expecting/wanting.
I did a few searches online with those websites that locate beers for you and was planning on driving about 40-50 minutes to the closest place listed. Ended up saying fuck it and going to a grocery store near me I don't normally go to for another beer and found 2 bottles of Young's there for about 4 bucks each. Dark brown deliciousness, thanks for the recommendation!

On another note: have had this a few times and love it. I don't know how widespread it is, but it really does taste like peachy beer without being way sweet.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
rrr_img_5859.jpg

This is my favorite beer bar none. Little on the expensive side, but well worth it.

Anyone recommend a beer with a nice orange taste?

quse

the pupe
rrr_img_5859.jpg

I've been searching everywhere for this and can't find any at all in my area. Called the local specialty beer store who orders customer requests to find out if they could get some.

Picked up a bottle of this on my hunt for the banana beer:

rrr_img_7032.jpg

Haven't opened it yet, mainly because it's 2PM, a massive bottle and 9.2% ABV. Looking forward to dinner!

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Lagunitas is great beer, and for the price point on most of them it's amazing. If you like dark strong beers their Imperial Stout is great (and at around $5/$6 a 22oz bottle, is one of the least costly around). I'd recommend pretty much everything from them, though they aren't all the same.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Russian River Brewing Company Withdraws from Washington Market

No more Pliney for me
frown.png
Although trying to find it had become more and more difficult and expensive due to price gouging on it, I'm still going to miss it. Glad that we have many amazing local options that are more than capable of filling the void, but it's sad that our archaic liquor laws are driving great breweries out of WA.
What kind of local stuff do you normally have in WA? I was in Seattle[Bellevue] for work and only found Elysian as the local brewery. I ended up mainly drinking other "NW" regional stuff at the Tap House or whatever the place is. Obviously Red Hook (managed to make it TO the brewery the next night), but those are the only two that come to mind.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Boundary Bayout of Bellingham is usually my go-to WA beer. They have been slowly heading south down the I-5 corridor and can be found pretty commonly in Seattle now. There is also a new place out of Bellingham called Kulshan Brewing, but you won't find them outside of Bellingham right now and they are excellent. Any time I am up in B'Ham I get my growlers filled up.

More of Seattle area, Elysian is one of my favorites. Red Hook and Pyramid are solid options but I consider them a (small) step below some of the others listed. Some smaller operations that are excellent areTwo Beers Brewing, if I am in the mood for a lager then I look forEmerald City Beer Co. for their Dottie's Lager.Old Schoolhouse Brewinghas been making their was west over the mountains and they are pretty solid as well. Lots of good stuff coming out of Portland as well. And every town around here usually has at least one, if not two to three quality local brew pubs that don't sell beer outside their pub.

Also keep in mind, I'm pretty much the guy who buys a beer just because I haven't seen it before. I am partial to the NW IPA style though.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
I've been searching everywhere for this and can't find any at all in my area. Called the local specialty beer store who orders customer requests to find out if they could get some.
The only places near me that carry it are Whole Foods and World Market. World Market actually has a pretty damn good beer selection.

quse

the pupe
The only places near me that carry it are Whole Foods and World Market. World Market actually has a pretty damn good beer selection.
I need to check the closest World Market here, but I know the only Whole Foods in the area are all in Kansas and don't carry alcohol (because Kansas is a piece of shit state).
Thanks for the heads up!

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
First attached is the Stouts I have waiting for me (for Jan/Feb, missing from the pic is this year's Darkness).
rrr_img_5061.jpg
Mirin' the Fitger's Brewhouse beer you've got there. Which one is it? That's my local brewery, everything there is so good!

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Mirin' the Fitger's Brewhouse beer you've got there. Which one is it? That's my local brewery, everything there is so good!
2011 Bourbon Barrel Ed Fit Imperial Stout. I drank all the Decadence from 2011. The 2012 Ed Fitz is good, though I somehow forgot to buy one for me (and brought home 8 for friends). Decadence should come out late this month, so I'm really looking forward to it. And yeah, between Fitger's and Town Hall, I have no idea how those brothers are so fucking good at brewing.