The Beer Thread

Tral_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_4500.jpg

Best beer I've ever had. I'm ashamed to say Bud Light is still my go to beer but I'll pick up a good six pack at least twice a month.

The only beer I've ever poured down the sink was Rogue Voodoo, while most of their stuff isn't this bad, I can't buy any of their beer anymore.
KBS is fucking fantastic. My favorite beer. Only got one bottle last year, going to keep an eye out and try for more this time around.

rrr_img_4500.jpg

Tral_sl

shitlord
2013-Availability-Calendar-FINAL-920x710.jpg

KBS in April. I've always wanted to try CBS - do they release it a certain time of year or was it a special thing?

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
CBS was a special thing, same with Better Half. I don't see Bolt Cutter listed, and Cerise isn't listed on there either (though I guess Rubaeus might be replacing it). I love me some founder's, but the beer scene in MN has just blown up lately with Micros. It's like fucking Pokemon, I gotta try them all.

Obviously Surly is the standard, but some of the other new comers on the local scene have been doing really well. Right now I'm gone through some Summit's, Founder's, and New Glarus (one of the best in the nation).

First attached is the Stouts I have waiting for me (for Jan/Feb, missing from the pic is this year's Darkness).
rrr_img_5061.jpg

Second is what I brought back home on a trip from Florida.
rrr_img_5062.jpg

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
dat dark lord. Never seen it show up anywhere.
The red on black with white numbers is the Vanilla Bean Bourbon Barrel Dark Lord. I generally dislike BA, but here's the page:http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/42349

DL is typically released once a year (last weekend in April) at the 3Floyds brewery. Huge party with something like ~140 different taps running from craft brewers. Tickets go on-sale the weekend before St. Patrick's day usually. Surly usually shows up, as the head brewer is friends with the 3F guys.

Tral_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I read about those different barrel-aged DL releases. Sounds fucking awesome. Wish I didn't have to go to Indiana to get it.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah, I read about those different barrel-aged DL releases. Sounds fucking awesome. Wish I didn't have to go to Indiana to get it.
While the address is Indiana, it's essentially just outside of Chicago. There's a bunch of decent beer bars as well as new/old breweries in Chicago too. Worth a weekend at least.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's just across the border from Indiana, like 35 minutes from downtown Chicago. It's kind of crazy... the weather is always shitty, its impossible to park, there are way too many fucking people around, etc. They used to let homebrewers bring kegs and bottles to trade and let people drink, but I don't know if they allow that anymore. They also do something where you had a chance to get a "Golden Ticket" which, if you had one, let you buy a rare Dark Lord variation for $50.

The food is terrible and there is nowhere good to eat around there either. Basically the best thing to do is show up at your ticket group time slot, buy your allocated bottles, and get the fuck out back to Chicago unless you are a huge beer nerd who wants to trade rares. As far as I know its never sold to the public outside of this event so you have to trade or buy it off ebay or craigslist if you don't go to Dark Lord Day.

It's definitely worth a weekend though. The best brewery in Chicago isHalf Acre Beer Companyand they just opened a tap room too.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
It's just across the border from Indiana, like 35 minutes from downtown Chicago. It's kind of crazy... the weather is always shitty, its impossible to park, there are way too many fucking people around, etc. They used to let homebrewers bring kegs and bottles to trade and let people drink, but I don't know if they allow that anymore. They also do something where you had a chance to get a "Golden Ticket" which, if you had one, let you buy a rare Dark Lord variation for $50.

The food is terrible and there is nowhere good to eat around there either. Basically the best thing to do is show up at your ticket group time slot, buy your allocated bottles, and get the fuck out back to Chicago unless you are a huge beer nerd who wants to trade rares. As far as I know its never sold to the public outside of this event so you have to trade or buy it off ebay or craigslist if you don't go to Dark Lord Day.

It's definitely worth a weekend though. The best brewery in Chicago isHalf Acre Beer Companyand they just opened a tap room too.
Yeah, they still do the golden ticket (the bottle I was talking about above is on of them). They still let you bring in "a couple of bottle" for trading to the event, but no more kegs/coolers/etc. I only tried the Daisycutter from Half Acre, but it was pretty good. I still love going to the Clybourn GI brew pub too.

Tral_sl

shitlord
If fear that my local "mega" microbrew, Boulevard, doesn't garner too much attention from the big boys now that they are one of the largest microbreweries.

As an aside, picked up the newest batch of Rye on Rye yesterday, it's phenomenal.

rrr_img_1704.jpg

boulevard-rye-on-rye-sales.png

11% ABV. Put down a bottle last night(along with a couple other random beers) and was moving a little slow this morning. Shits damn potent for a beer.
Got a bottle of the 2013-1 batch for Christmas, promptly chilled and drank it. Fantastic beer. This batch was 12% abv, definitely a little boozy on the nose, but the rye makes it so damn smooth.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
A local place does a similar beer: Brau Brothers Rye Wyne (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14967/80171).
It's an estate deal, so almost all of the brewing ingredients are sourced from the farm itself. They had a ton of Rye growing and then got some Templeton Rye barrels for aging. I haven't tried the Boulevard stuff.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Second is what I brought back home on a trip from Florida.
rrr_img_5062.jpg
The bottle in the middle is from The Bruery? Can't quite read it, but recognize the label. Which beer is it? They're abut 15 minutes away from me, was at their tasting room maybe 10 days ago.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Tradewinds tripel. And I was really underwhelmed with it.

Ryanz

<Banned>
Went to the liqour store to try and find some Celebrator, but couldn't find it anywhere. So instead I tried the Spaten Optimator as this thread suggested. I dunno...its a bit too much bitter for my taste. I'm pretty sure I like Celebrator better. But it's still a good Doppelbock none the less.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
rrr_img_5859.jpg

Gave this a try and it tastes exactly like what the label says; banana bread. None of that imitation banana flavor either. Was nice for a little change of pace

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Banana Bread Beer sounds absolutely delicious. The liquor store nearby has some so I will pick some up this weekend. Thanks for the recommendation.