The Beer Thread

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Brewery tavern Schlenkerla: Menu, Beverages and Drinks

This is actually one of my favorite styles (and that's literally one of the better examples). It's like drinking a BBQ pit, and I love it. The Urbock and Marzen are better than the wheat. Surly does a smoked Baltic Porter as well, it's pretty fantastic. You pay for shipping and trade me something decent and I'll rustle one up for you. My favorite is still the limited edition Rauchbeer that Schell's produced, but those are well-past their drink-by dates (and smoke fades, I think).

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla | Bamberg, Germany | BeerAdvocateandRauchbier | BeerAdvocate

For brewing... small amounts of smoked malt. It's a strong flavor and a little goes a long way (usually).

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Appreciate the offer and feedback. I'm going to see what my local bottle shop has before I start paying to ship beers all over the place but I may still hit you up.

Also thanks for the advice on the smoked malt. I've used just a touch of peat-smoked malt in my Scottish Ale before but that is the limit to my experience. With that beer I go for just a subtle hint so I think it was just a couple of oz for a 5 gallon batch. When I'm brewing for contests I like to get to the top-end range of the flavors to hopefully stand out in a flight but I don't know where that line is for smoked malt usage. Definitely don't want to overwhelm the beer as I'll be the one drinking 5 gallons of it. I'll have to use a light touch and see where it takes me.
wink.png

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm pumped, new arcade bar opening in town. 50+ beers on tap(rotating regularly), here's what they have for their opening weekend starting tonight:
0muN58Q.jpg

And their list of arcade games:
Contra
Rampage
Punch- Out
Maximum Force
Carnevil
House of the Dead
House of the Dead 2
Area 51 Site 4
Joust
Arkanoid
Space Invaders
Tron
Tapper
Galaga
Defender
X-Men 6 player
Wrestlefest
Hit the Ice
Gauntlet Legends
Sunset Riders
Simpsons
Dig Dug
Centipede
TMNT
Turtles in Time
Asteroids
Superman
Q Bert
Ms Pac Man
Double Dragon
Hydro Thunder
Cruisin Exotica (2)
Micheal Jackson Moonwalker
MK3
MK4
MK2
Frogger
Spy Hunter
Crazy Taxi
Pac Man
Battle Royale
Burgertime
Fix it Felix
Out Run
Ivan Stewarts Off Road
NBA Jam
NFL BLITZ
Track and Field
Captain America and the Avengers

Also, an N64 hooked up to a big screen (have to believe they have some Mario Kart action going on that)

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Came back from my folks place last weekend and was able to stock up on Trappistes Rochefort 10 and 8, as well as some San Pellegrino Blood Orange, Orange, and Lemon. No distributor for it in AR anymore and it mostly what I like to mix my vodka with.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'm pumped, new arcade bar opening in town. 50+ beers on tap(rotating regularly), here's what they have for their opening weekend starting tonight:
0muN58Q.jpg

And their list of arcade games:
Contra
Rampage
Punch- Out
Maximum Force
Carnevil
House of the Dead
House of the Dead 2
Area 51 Site 4
Joust
Arkanoid
Space Invaders
Tron
Tapper
Galaga
Defender
X-Men 6 player
Wrestlefest
Hit the Ice
Gauntlet Legends
Sunset Riders
Simpsons
Dig Dug
Centipede
TMNT
Turtles in Time
Asteroids
Superman
Q Bert
Ms Pac Man
Double Dragon
Hydro Thunder
Cruisin Exotica (2)
Micheal Jackson Moonwalker
MK3
MK4
MK2
Frogger
Spy Hunter
Crazy Taxi
Pac Man
Battle Royale
Burgertime
Fix it Felix
Out Run
Ivan Stewarts Off Road
NBA Jam
NFL BLITZ
Track and Field
Captain America and the Avengers

Also, an N64 hooked up to a big screen (have to believe they have some Mario Kart action going on that)
I'd be raging on Dig Dug with a Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout in my hand all night.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I love barcades, I see they have Turtles in Time and Gauntlet so they are all good in my eyes.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Anyone pick up the last couple of batches of Enjoy By and been disappointed? Had some 4/20 last week and didn't think it had nearly the "hop-pop" of previous batches. I'm wondering if it is due to poor handling procedures by local distribution or if these last couple of batches have just been falling flat?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I went to Mikkeller Bar last night and tried Perennial Artisan Ales' 17 Mint Chocolate Stout. Only ordered it because it sounds so ridiculous. Perfectly labeled beer and was actually very, very enjoyable. Tastes like mint chocolate chip ice cream in beer form. Would drink again!

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
We have a arcade bar downtown and it is always packed. Like any game that isn't terrible has a line of people waiting to play it. It also turns out tons of games absolutely suck if the fear of death is taken away from the game. I'm looking at the XMen arcade game and The Simpsons game as prime examples. Mostly beat-em-ups. The player vs player games are still pretty good like Blitz and fighting games.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I feel like someone said this a few pages back... but my usual liquor store got some Kentucky Bourbon Stouts in... Ho Lee Sheeeeit are they good. Drank one with a buddy and aging the second (technically only allowed one per person)

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I feel like someone said this a few pages back... but my usual liquor store got some Kentucky Bourbon Stouts in... Ho Lee Sheeeeit are they good. Drank one with a buddy and aging the second (technically only allowed one per person)
Which Kentucky Bourbon Stout? Founder KBS?

monnoh

Golden Squire
Tried the Duvel Tripel Hop 2015 this weekend. Way better than the 2014 imo. Also let myself go a bit in the 75cl department: Kriek De Ranke, Oude Geuze 3 Fonteinen, Troubadour Magma and Obscura. Both the kriek and geuze were first tries, the Kriek was OK and the geuze amazing.

Protip: don't knock back 75cl of Troubadour Obscura while you're eating a pizza 4 formaggi...my stomach felt like there was a battle being fought in there. Lesson learned.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Tried the Duvel Tripel Hop 2015 this weekend. Way better than the 2014 imo. Also let myself go a bit in the 75cl department: Kriek De Ranke, Oude Geuze 3 Fonteinen, Troubadour Magma and Obscura. Both the kriek and geuze were first tries, the Kriek was OK and the geuze amazing.

Protip: don't knock back 75cl of Troubadour Obscura while you're eating a pizza 4 formaggi...my stomach felt like there was a battle being fought in there. Lesson learned.
I had the Tripel Hop this last week and it was pretty darn awesome, but I hadn't had it before to compare to the previous years.

monnoh

Golden Squire
I had the Tripel Hop this last week and it was pretty darn awesome, but I hadn't had it before to compare to the previous years.
I've tried all their yearly variants (they also brewed a batch in 2007 that wasn't commercialized and a slightly bigger batch in 2010); the 2012 was great but a little bit too bitter for my tastes, 2013 was awesome and 2014 was good. All around good experiences with them.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>

I absolutely love the 2014 Tripel Hop. What is changed in this year's?

monnoh

Golden Squire
I absolutely love the 2014 Tripel Hop. What is changed in this year's?
They change the 3rd hop type each year. Last year it was Mosa?c, this year they used Equinox. The 2014 was closer in taste to regular Duvel imo, while 2015 is a bit sweeter.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Excellent. Will have to hit up Total Wine this weekend to see if they have it.