The Beer Thread

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Had Ruination 2.0 yesterday. A very tasty update to the original recipe. Dialed back the bittering in favor or more flavor/aroma additions which is how I prefer my IPA's.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I have been drinking a ton of Knee Deep Brewing lately. I absolutely love pretty much all of their IPA's, and especially the Simtra. I heard a rumor that they are actually going to stop brewing it, which would totally suck.

On another note, and most of you won't care about this since it isn't anywhere near you, but this taproom by my house is awesome.http://www.thehopgrenade.com/beer/

I have been going there a ton lately, and it is just fantastic. They have wifi so there are even times when I am working from home that I will take my laptop over there and work. It is actually quieter than Starbucks, and well often times I would prefer a beer over a coffee! The variety is great, so anyone that likes beer can go there and find several things to choose from. The recently got a Russian River account, so they get a keg of Pliny the Elder every week. That shit only lasts a few hours once they tap it though. Oh, and they are constantly rotating the beer, so you can go there twice during the week and have completely different selections both times.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I have some friends in Concord and go out there pretty often. Think we'll have to check that spot out!

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I have some friends in Concord and go out there pretty often. Think we'll have to check that spot out!
Let me know when you are around and I can meet you over there, if you want. It is literally 5 minutes from my house.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I have been drinking a ton of Knee Deep Brewing lately. I absolutely love pretty much all of their IPA's, and especially the Simtra. I heard a rumor that they are actually going to stop brewing it, which would totally suck.
I'm guessing that beer is made with a combo of Citra and Simcoe hops based off the name, two extremely popular and hard to get hops. If they don't have hop contracts for those they might have issues securing a supply, hence the discontinuation rumor. Even with a contract some breweries are getting shorted on some of the hard-to-get varieties.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
You would be correct about the hops used. You're so smart!
Ha ha, thanks, but it didn't take a whole lot of deductive reasoning to figure that out. It's more that I'mtappedinto the brew scene so I hear about these issues.

It takes the hop farmers 3+ years to establish a crop so usually with these new(ish) varieties there is some lag time between industry acceptance and the hop growers catching up to the demand. Citra and Simcoe have been around a while but EVERYBODY uses them in their IPA's now. Especially Citra, Zombie Dust is I think 100% Citra and there are a ton of breweries copying that beer. Some newer crops like Amarillo and Mosaic are also getting hit pretty hard at the moment, doesn't help that they are proprietary to specific farms so that also lessens the supply.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I had a layover in the Denver airport yesterday and normally don't like to drink while I fly because I hate having to get up and go to the bathroom on the plane but they had Odell and I couldn't resist. That is one of the best IPAs I've ever had.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I saw this and was confused.
My post or the beer?

Stone has been retiring some of their recipes that they consider "outdated." In some cases they just aren't making those styles/beers anymore and in others they are reworking the recipes to incorporate new techniques and/or ingredients that weren't around back when the beers were first released.

In the case of Ruination 2.0 it is still heavily focused around the Centennial hop like the original (as opposed to something like Enjoy By that doesn't have a focus hop and instead has like 10 different varieties in it), but they have also added Citra and Simcoe, which I don't even think were around when the original Ruination hit the market, as well as the just released Azacca hop to the mix . They also are utilizing new hopping techniques they've developed over the years.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Came into work today and a customer had dropped off two cases of Ninkasi Tricerahops. Not a fan of ipas but free beer always tickles my pickle.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
My post or the beer?

Stone has been retiring some of their recipes that they consider "outdated." In some cases they just aren't making those styles/beers anymore and in others they are reworking the recipes to incorporate new techniques and/or ingredients that weren't around back when the beers were first released.

In the case of Ruination 2.0 it is still heavily focused around the Centennial hop like the original (as opposed to something like Enjoy By that doesn't have a focus hop and instead has like 10 different varieties in it), but they have also added Citra and Simcoe, which I don't even think were around when the original Ruination hit the market, as well as the just released Azacca hop to the mix . They also are utilizing new hopping techniques they've developed over the years.
The beer. I saw it in the store and thought it was just a new label. I'll have to check it out.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I'm a fan of Tricerahops and Ninkasi in general. Although with their regular IPA I always say that Total Domination tonight = totally dominated tomorrow. They tend to leave behind a few more unfermentable sugars in their beers than your typical IPA, which I'm sure is the reason I get hangovers when I drink them, not the alcohol at all, nope.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
20% off all beer at Whole Foods today. All IPA's from the Hoptimum left, ports and stouts on the right. Can't remember the list of everything we got, but man am I thirsty!

The one in the front, the Blue Frog DIPA, I am pretty sure is going to suck. It is owned by the folks that own Fuddruckers and I bought a couple beers while there the other day. The first was a Triple IPA which sucked, so my hopes for the Double are pretty low.

rrr_img_97935.jpg