The Beer Thread

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
My wife's stouts. She can do with them as she pleases!

But seriously, do you store them at room temp? Cause I only drink my beer cold. All of it

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Yeah - stouts, porters, and barleywines I store in the basement. It's slightly colder than room temp maybe, but definitely not chilled.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yeah - stouts, porters, and barleywines I store in the basement. It's slightly colder than room temp maybe, but definitely not chilled.
Do you serve them chilled? I also age my dark beers at room temp but I serve cold. But I tend to drink them slowly so the flavor slowly changes and opens up as the beer warms up. This is why I love bombers, about the perfect size for this. First sip is at 37F, last sip between 50-55F. It is like going on a flavor journey as it warms. Works great on IPAs as well, not so much on lighter beers.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I drink 'em all cold. No basements in south Florida and room temperature in my house is too damn warm.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
My wife's stouts. She can do with them as she pleases!

But seriously, do you store them at room temp? Cause I only drink my beer cold. All of it
How "cold" do you mean? Blue Mountain cold? If so, then don't even bother with the big IPAs, you're not going to taste the hops over the biting cold of the liquid. Stouts should be cooler than room temp but not fridge temp.

I think it's upper 40s for the lowest-serving-temp for most beers (IPAs, etc), upper 50s is where I'd server stouts. Honestly, some of the hoppier beers get a much different flavor if they are warmer. You'll notice notes you hadn't before.
As mentioned, bombers are great for that, but I never want 22oz of the same beer for that long unless its mag-fucking-nificent.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
This probably isn't a very popular opinion, but damn do I love a Lienenkugel's Summer Shandy when it's hot outside in the summer time. Drank several while working in the yard this past weekend. Great hot weather beer, super refreshing.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Quick story that nobody probably really cares about, but I am going to tell anyway cause I felt special.

Wife and I went to Hop Grenade on Saturday night for a few drinks. I knew they had a new keg of Pliny in the back as I was talking to the guys that work there about it. He was telling me it was up next as soon as the Mach 10 was gone, so after a few beers I decided to order one Mach 10 in hopes of helping finish it off, and sure enough it poured about 1/3 of the glass and killed it and they tapped the Pliny. So I got the first glass.

Sadly that was the highlight of my weekend.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Sadly? I think getting a glass of Pliny would be the highlight of a weekend that included a BJ from Scarlett Johansson for me.

Then again, I also don't have easy access to Pliny and I'm one of the guys who would take the cheese...

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I think I would rather have the ScarJo BJ.
I didn't say it was an either-or proposition... just saying what the highlight would be.
wink.png

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm working in our NY office all week. What are some of the best beer spots around here? I know of Rattle & Hum, Blind Tiger, and Pony Bar. Any spots that are as impressive as Mikkeller or Monk's Kettle in SF? The general consensus when I ask people is that Brooklyn is actually better for beer spots.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I'm working in our NY office all week. What are some of the best beer spots around here? I know of Rattle & Hum, Blind Tiger, and Pony Bar. Any spots that are as impressive as Mikkeller or Monk's Kettle in SF? The general consensus when I ask people is that Brooklyn is actually better for beer spots.
I don't know where you're office is, but I'm guessing it's in Manhattan (Times Square?).

Go toEataly New York Restaurants NYC Birreria Eataly Birreria Restaurant NYC | Eatalyon top of Eataly. It's touristy and expensive but decent. Also, a couple blocks from Rattle N Hum is Gingerman, which also isn't bad. None will be like Monk's Kettle though.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Eataly is really, REALLY expensive actually. Beer selection is just OK.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm in Midtown. Really close to Penn Station.

And most people have said nothing compares to Monk's Kettle. This makes me appreciate it that much more.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Zombie Dust has been my beer of choice lately. I never got into IPAs/APAs (don't even know what the difference between the two is) until recently. We've basically memorized the beer delivery schedule at the new Whole Foods by our office and have been buying it before they take it out of the case and put it on the shelf. Pretty funny walking into the beer section and seeing stacks of beer waiting to be set out and 3 cases of zombie dust just ripped open and empty.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Anyone live in the south have access to Thomas Creek brewery beers? Lady friend is pretty intent on trying their banana split chocolate stout... and looking to get a hold of some.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Zombie Dust has been my beer of choice lately. I never got into IPAs/APAs (don't even know what the difference between the two is) until recently.
The line between the two styles is definitely blurred a bit but quite simply an APA should be less hoppy and more balanced with the malts than an IPA. A little bit more malt character (bready, toasty, biscuity) and aroma can also be present in APA's

I haven't had Zombie Dust but I've tasted dozens of homebrew cloned versions of it. It is a very popular IPA (APA? I think they market is as an APA right?) to clone because it basically uses one hop, Citra.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
The line between the two styles is definitely blurred a bit but quite simply an APA should be less hoppy and more balanced with the malts than an IPA. A little bit more malt character (bready, toasty, biscuity) and aroma can also be present in APA's

I haven't had Zombie Dust but I've tasted dozens of homebrew cloned versions of it. It is a very popular IPA (APA? I think they market is as an APA right?) to clone because it basically uses one hop, Citra.
Zombie Dust is worshiped more than some gods in the greater Chicago / Northern Indiana 3floyds beer distribution radius. I still prefer Daisy Cutter usually and depending on my mood but when you can get Zombie dust on tap at a bar around here there isnt much better.