The Beer Thread

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Friend just drove back to the Midwest from Florida, brought me back some DFH 90min and Palo Santo, Jai Alai, Swamphead, Anderson Farms, and Yuengling. Pretty psyched.
Most of those are good. Prepare to be disappointed by the Yuengling.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Most of those are good. Prepare to be disappointed by the Yuengling.
I drink Grain Belt Premium for my American Light Lager of choice. Yuengling isn't going to be bad (also I've had it before). It did come in 16oz pounders though, so that makes me happy.

If Yeungling is considered craft beer, craft beer needs to be redefined. The scale shouldnt be based on units sold, all I can say.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Do we really need to classify beer as "craft" vs "non-craft". What exactly does that accomplish anyway? I drink what I like and I don't really give a shit how it's classified other than style.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
So founders Kentucky breakfast stout made the rounds at stores here this past week, and every place was selling single bottles for $8-9 limit one per customer. I ended up with 2 that I want to taste against a few other stouts I rounded up.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
So founders Kentucky breakfast stout made the rounds at stores here this past week, and every place was selling single bottles for $8-9 limit one per customer. I ended up with 2 that I want to taste against a few other stouts I rounded up.
They're selling in 4pks around here, but it's ~$30 for it. I'd still buy one but I missed out because they go so fast.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My local liquor store got some of the GoT Third Eye Raven Ale! I picked up two. One I will drink and the other I think I'm going to save.

fresh

<Gold Donor>
Where do all of you guys live where you have such terrible beer selection? Stores here are like 20% beer section, perhaps its just an Oregon thing.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Who's been complaining about beer selections? Or are you being a typical Portland douche who just wants any excuse possible to brag about Portland?

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Standard Portland beer selection kind of blows, it's just the pnw staples. You always need to go to a real beer store for anything unique.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
HIPSTER FIGHT
Well, I really don't know what that guy is talking about. I mean I'm in WA and my three favorite stores have 23%, 31%, and 18% (admittedly lower than Portland apparently, but all quality) beer selections. Oh, any my favorite bottle shop has 95% beer selection.
rolleyes.png

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think its just a Portland vs San Fran thing. Basically Portland has become the new San Francisco because it is too expensive to live in the area these days for the people that used to make up the standard San Francisco culture. So many have moved to Portland. I guess Portland flaunts it now? Dunno. Don't really look that deep into it.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I think its just a Portland vs San Fran thing. Basically Portland has become the new San Francisco because it is too expensive to live in the area these days for the people that used to make up the standard San Francisco culture. So many have moved to Portland. I guess Portland flaunts it now? Dunno. Don't really look that deep into it.
Plus Portland has a weird inferiority complex with Seattle. Like seriously, I don't understand it at all but Portlanders are all spazzes about it.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
My homebrew club has a competition every two months. The first one was making a beer with a base malt produced by a new local maltster and I took 1st place with an Imperial Stout. The next one was a Schwarzbier and I took 2nd. The next one up is forsmoked beers (including Classic Rauchbier and Other Smoked Beer).

I don't think I've ever had a smoked beer, so my question is does anyone have any favorite commercial examples I could check out so I can do some style calibration? Preferably something either widely available or you know you'll find on the west coast.