The Beer Thread

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Do you guys know the Greenbush Brewing company and their stuff? I had Dunegräs IPA from them recently, and it was just delicious. I get it now whenever I see it in the store.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Wife bought me a Ballast Point variety pack since they started showing up around here. I am still not really a fan of the sculpin, but man I love Piper Down.

Tim

Molten Core Raider
Got a mix-6 at the beer store among other things. While I was filling it out, it occurred to me that I've never actually had a regular Budweiser. I've drank a lot of BL and other BMC beers especially when I was younger, but this one I seemed to miss. So among a bounty of Stone, Franconia, and Founders was a single, shameful bottle of "America."

Now to decide on proper glassware.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I went to a street festival tonight sponsored by a local brewing co. - Main and Mill - tried their blood orange berliner weisse; they are so close to getting it really right but there was just something a bit off about it. So , I went down the street to a different food/bev tent and they had Urban Chestnut zwickel. It is a really well balanced lager and good for street drinking!
Yay for live music and good beer!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
Haven't had any zwickels but I love Kellerbier. Too bad it's such an unpopular style around here, it's nearly impossible to find.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Had a 2013 Rueuze recently and really dug it. Bruery is pretty hit or miss for me though as they try so many weird experimental beers that cost $35.00 a pop.

kudos

<Banned>
Had a barrel-aged neapolitan milk stout by Saugatuck Brewing Company. First barrel-aged beer I've ever had where I could actually taste *all* of the adjuncts of the original beer before the barrel. Great stuff.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Had a 2013 Rueuze recently and really dug it. Bruery is pretty hit or miss for me though as they try so many weird experimental beers that cost $35.00 a pop.
What else have you tried of theirs? I opened up their Apricot Frucht the other night and really enjoyed it, quite a bit more than the Rueuze.

Yeah, they do some weird stuff. It's mostly the smaller batch non-distro stuff though. I haven't had anything that I thought was awful, a good number that weren't in my "range" so to speak, but I can usually at least appreciate what's going on. Usually it's the higher ABV's I have trouble with, they can be pretty boozy and I'm a light-weight.

Currently have 3 bottles that are over 16% and I think 2 more to pick up. Definitely plan on sharing those.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I have Grey Monday, Black Tuesday, Mocha Wednesday which I've enjoyed when I had someone elses bottles. I also had Xorchata or something like that that I didn't like. I'm sure some do, but it was a bit weird for me.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I have Grey Monday, Black Tuesday, Mocha Wednesday which I've enjoyed when I had someone elses bottles. I also had Xorchata or something like that that I didn't like. I'm sure some do, but it was a bit weird for me.
I've only had the Or Xata, and it's pretty awesome. Had it on tap at their tasting room and also had a bottle iirc. Fantastic reproduction of horchata, I need to get some more before it's out actually.

I have a bottle of Mocha Wednesday in the fridge and one of Black Tuesday that I need to go pick up. Current stash is:

8 Maids-a-milking
mocha wednesday 2016
Poterie
blue bbls
tart of darkness with cherries and vanilla

beer1.jpg

beer2.jpg

beer3.jpg

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
8 Maids a Milking is another great stout from them. For 11% it's basically chocolate milk. I have a few from last year will have to see how they held up. We're almost in stout weather here in CT (although it's supposed to be 80 today wtf)

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
8 Maids a Milking is another great stout from them. For 11% it's basically chocolate milk. I have a few from last year will have to see how they held up. We're almost in stout weather here in CT (although it's supposed to be 80 today wtf)
Yeah, 8 maids is fantastic. I didn't get much chocolatiness, and while not a stout officionado definitely the best milk, if not stout, I've had. Period. Wish I had more than just the one bottle.

Also smooth as hell for the abv

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I will have to travel out of state to get any Bruery stuff...:( that tart cherry reads delicious.

In other beer news, I did pick up a Breckenridge sampler pack (yay, vanilla porter) and the Boulevard Fall sample pack. It has a rosemary IPA that was tasty with my lasagna ( with ricotta of course) and their new tasting room milk stout that was really good for dessert tonight.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
In local beer-nerd news...
Head of Brewing Operations Todd Haug Steps Down At Surly Brewing - Surly Brewing Co.

Head Brewer at Surly Brewing has left... which was sort of foretold when his wife was "asked to leave" after helping start the restaurant side of their new mega-brewery complex.
edit: it also helps explain the 45 minute guitar set that Todd did at their Darkness Day event (rare RIS release event).

Surly also produced a shit-ton more of it this year. Not that hard to find in the local market, so I'm guessing Chicago will see it's fair share soon as well. BA version should come out in January and I'm hoping to get 2-6 bottles of that as well.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Sad times. Hope they don't stop making Todd the Axe Man. When fresh, it may be the best IPA on the planet.

I was also wondering how my friend found Darkness as easily as he did. We try to find some seasonal/rare releases from our respective areas and swap them.
My guess is they rename it to something else, but I have no idea. Makes me wonder what they'll do for the anniversary release this year, as it's usually been super focused on Todd and Omar.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Probably the best pear beer that I've had. Most have been a little to dry for my tastes. Have to give it the nod over Unibroue's Ephemere Pear.

image.jpg