The Beer Thread

Tral_sl

shitlord
Can't wait - cracking a ~year aged 120 minute this weekend. And I don't think I'll be able to resist the KBS either. Moving in a month and no room to take my beer collection.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Can't wait - cracking a ~year aged 120 minute this weekend. And I don't think I'll be able to resist the KBS either. Moving in a month and no room to take my beer collection.
Such a good problem to have. I've managed to kick my sobriety habit, so I've dug into some fun stuff (bourbon barrel aged barlywines/RIS) just to celebrate.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Are the Big 3 pushing these tax hikes? That shit is absurd.
It is kind of a weird place for the big 3. In WA, any beer sold in state is subject to the excise tax (even the big 3's). The advantage they have is that they only have to pay it on the fraction of the beer sold in state, unlike our local brewers who basically have to pay it on all the beer they produce. Makes it much easier for out-of-state breweries (even craft breweries) to absorb the tax and really puts locals at a disadvantage.

So the big 3 are "against" the tax because they don't want to pay it, but if it went through and some of the local breweries went out-of-business because of it they wouldn't mind. So basically they are against it, but aren't putting their full lobbying weight behind fighting it.

But regardless, I just found out today that the beer tax has been removed from the Dems budget proposal so it looks like that issue is resolved here in WA (for now).

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I have a problem you guys might be able to help with. I don't have a lot of beer knowledge, but I'm really into hoppy beers, and when I lived in Reno, there were a lot of great choices even at the crappy gas station a block from work.

I have since moved back to my home town in Oklahoma. The selection here is... not good. In addition, there are some very strange laws on the books here. Anything decent has to be sold in a liquor store, and cannot be refrigerated. I've no real clue why they would do something like that, but it has brought a few things to my attention.

I gradually began to notice that the temperature greatly affects the flavor of what I buy. At first I'd buy a pack of whatever and stick it in the fridge. If I had one right away, either warm or after it had been in the fridge just a short while, I got a good flavor, but if they had sat in the fridge for more than a couple hours, they were much more lagery and flavorless.

I do know that ale is sensitive to temp changes, but is this an oklahoma specific problem or is all ale this way and I just never noticed?

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Most ales are suppose to be served on the warmer side (40-45). It will definitely subdue some of the hoppy flavors and aromas when chilled below that. Also as beer is aged at either cellar (or in your case, room) temperatures the general flavor profile will become less hoppy and more malty. So if the beer at the liquor store is sitting around for awhile at room temperature it is going to lose some of its hoppy flavor and be a little sweeter on the palate.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I have a problem you guys might be able to help with. I don't have a lot of beer knowledge, but I'm really into hoppy beers, and when I lived in Reno, there were a lot of great choices even at the crappy gas station a block from work.

I have since moved back to my home town in Oklahoma. The selection here is... not good. In addition, there are some very strange laws on the books here. Anything decent has to be sold in a liquor store, and cannot be refrigerated. I've no real clue why they would do something like that, but it has brought a few things to my attention.

I gradually began to notice that the temperature greatly affects the flavor of what I buy. At first I'd buy a pack of whatever and stick it in the fridge. If I had one right away, either warm or after it had been in the fridge just a short while, I got a good flavor, but if they had sat in the fridge for more than a couple hours, they were much more lagery and flavorless.

I do know that ale is sensitive to temp changes, but is this an oklahoma specific problem or is all ale this way and I just never noticed?
temp doesn't have as much to do with it as light exposure does. If you can find something hoppy in a can, just throw it in the fridge and you should be ok. upper 40s is where you want to drink ale, low 50s is where you want to store it for anything more than a month. If you have a liquor store you frequent, start asking them to hold stuff for you in the back (hopefully in the dark, and fresh), and you'll notice an uptick in the quality of the beers (probably).

taebin

Same trailer, different park
I finally had a chance to get some Dayman Coffee IPA on draft last night, and it's probably the best coffee beer I've ever had. Had three.

rrr_img_21865.jpg
....fighter of the Nightman? Champion of the sun? Master of karate? And friendship, for everyone?

rrr_img_21865.jpg

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Kharza, in Oklahoma you should have access to Boulevard beers out of Kansas City. Keep an eye out for their Single-Wide IPA, Double-Wide IPA(smokestack series, in a large 750ml bottle), 80-Acre Hoppy Wheat. My personal favorite of their is Tank 7, which isn't as hoppy as the ones I already mentioned, but is still a damn good all-around beer with a little hoppiness.

quse

the pupe
If you live in the Kansas City area, there's going to be a microbrew-fest in Parkville tomorrow (4/26).

Looks like its going to be a big turnout. Going to be there pouring for Mother's at some point. Come out if you can make it!

I'll add a link when i get home.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Kharza, in Oklahoma you should have access to Boulevard beers out of Kansas City. Keep an eye out for their Single-Wide IPA, Double-Wide IPA(smokestack series, in a large 750ml bottle), 80-Acre Hoppy Wheat. My personal favorite of their is Tank 7, which isn't as hoppy as the ones I already mentioned, but is still a damn good all-around beer with a little hoppiness.
Oh God, I didn't even think of that.

They have Saison Brett, and it's one of my favorite beers. It's great, and it ages "well".

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
If you live in the Kansas City area, there's going to be a microbrew-fest in Parkville tomorrow (4/26).

Looks like its going to be a big turnout. Going to be there pouring for Mother's at some point. Come out if you can make it!

I'll add a link when i get home.
Do you work for Mother's or are you a volunteer at the festival or something like that? Mothers brewery is growing on me, my wife is from Sprinfield so she turned me on to them, I've enjoyed just about everything I've had from them, glad they're easier to find in KC now than they were a few years ago.

quse

the pupe
Do you work for Mother's or are you a volunteer at the festival or something like that? Mothers brewery is growing on me, my wife is from Sprinfield so she turned me on to them, I've enjoyed just about everything I've had from them, glad they're easier to find in KC now than they were a few years ago.
I lived in Springfield for a while, a friend of mine works for them. Free admission, etc... to pour for a bit so I said sure.

My brain was somewhere else when I posted earlier, the festival is on the 27th.
http://www.parkvillemo.org/microbrewfest.html

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I'm going to try to go, tried getting some friends to go along but some are sick and some are being slugs.

I think I had heard of this before but didn't know it was this weekend.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I've had Boulevard but I can't remember if that was here or out in Nevada where I could get tons of variety. My regular store has Widmer brothers about half the time, and I like it a lot.

On the subject of temp, I got some of the Widmer bros O'Ryely stuff, that has Rye in it apparently. I glanced at it and thought R'lyeh cool! There was a sort of an odd bitterness with it unlike the usual IPA tasty bitterness, so I tried chilling it for a day and it was way better after being cold.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I've had Boulevard but I can't remember if that was here or out in Nevada where I could get tons of variety. My regular store has Widmer brothers about half the time, and I like it a lot.

On the subject of temp, I got some of the Widmer bros O'Ryely stuff, that has Rye in it apparently. I glanced at it and thought R'lyeh cool! There was a sort of an odd bitterness with it unlike the usual IPA tasty bitterness, so I tried chilling it for a day and it was way better after being cold.
Rye gives it a spicy taste (sort of?). That might be the flavor you were getting. It's one of my favorite flavors (try Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye). There's a local brewery that's producing a Rye Saison and I can't get enough of it.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Tried a couple of new seasonal Blue Moon's the past week or so. Their new 2013 spring offering comes in a variety pack, Sunshine Citrus Blonde. Light, crisp, tasty. Comes with Valencia Grove Amber, which is also a decent beer. The other is their Agave Nectar Blonde Ale. Possibly my favorite Blue Moon ever. Wife loves it too. Two light, refreshing blonde's that are perfect for sitting in the heat.