The Beer Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Brekk was correct on recommending Shock Top: End of the World Midnight Wheat. It's pretty damn good.

JVIRUS

Golden Knight of the Realm
Pliny The Elder, a fantastic hoppy double IPA.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo, a bold IPA. Sierra Pale Ale when I want something less hoppy.

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout. I love Guinness, and this is a stronger brew in the same vein.

Stella Artois. Go-to,drinkable, crisp beer. Often keep some handy if I think guests will not enjoy the rest

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Since my post lasted all of one day over at MN, I will repost it here. Elysian Fields in collaboration with a local Seattle area radio program calledThe Mens Room(worth podcasting if you have never heard it, it's basically four guys having conversations on the radio that are the same conversations you would have with your buddies at the bar) made a beer called Mens Room Red. The cool thing about this beer is a portion of the proceeds from each MRR sold goes to the Fisher House ($200k raised so far). Also it just won a silver medal at the GABF.

Well this year they also made a special limited release which is called Mens Room Black. It is an imperial red (but very dark, hence the name) that is actually pretty hop forward for an imperial or a red. It is one of my favorite releases this winter and like the Red, a portion of the proceeds from the Black also goes to the Fisher House.

If you are in the Pacific Northwest (or happen to get Elysian distributed to your area), pick up a bottle. Like I said, it is a limited release so grab it if you can.

Turkish

Caaaan do
Lately I've been on a Harpoon UFO kick.

Also since it's around this time of the year, Dog Fish Head Punkin.

I know this isn't really about beer, but fuck.

I bought a fifth of Jack Daniels and they didn't take off that black "safety?" cap thing.

Time to pull out the vise grips :\

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
I just had Midas Touch for the first time on Thursday night. The stuff is pretty damn good.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I almost got this...but read chili and chocolate malt then put it down and was like wtf??
I'm always up to trying new beers, even when they sound fucked up.

I have some excellent beers with those same ingredients...it all depends on when the ingredients are added and how much. It does sound odd in a wheat, I'd expect those in a stout, but I'd still try it
smile.png

smile.png

smile.png

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So does anyone on here brew their own? Pretty fun/cheap hobby. All of your family and friends will love it too. I've made everything from lager, wheats, pales, porters, stouts.

I'm going to brew a centennial hopped pale today or tomorrow, then an oatmeal stout in a few weeks. Next step is switching to all grain, not that the extract brews are bad, and I'll still do them from time to time I imagine...I'm just ready to make the move.

The last pale I used a shit ton of citra hops, it turned out great but was a little expensive. I'm going to try it again soon, I'll try doing the same recipe but all grain next time, see how much different it tastes.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I almost got this...but read chili and chocolate malt then put it down and was like wtf??
The malt is referring to the specific grains used to make the beer that have characteristics of those flavors, they should be not overwhelming (although I have never heard of a grain with a chili characteristic, so maybe they used actual chili's). Pretty much any stout, scotch or other dark beer uses chocolate malts (grains, not milkshakes) in them.

I have had some chili beers that were amazing, and I have had some terrible ones. The key is that the chili flavor needs to work in compliment with the hops and malts. If you make the chili the dominate flavor it is terrible. Same rule applies to pretty much any added flavor (coffee, fruit, etc.).

opiate82

Bronze Squire
So does anyone on here brew their own? Pretty fun/cheap hobby. All of your family and friends will love it too. I've made everything from lager, wheats, pales, porters, stouts.

I'm going to brew a centennial hopped pale today or tomorrow, then an oatmeal stout in a few weeks. Next step is switching to all grain, not that the extract brews are bad, and I'll still do them from time to time I imagine...I'm just ready to make the move.

The last pale I used a shit ton of citra hops, it turned out great but was a little expensive. I'm going to try it again soon, I'll try doing the same recipe but all grain next time, see how much different it tastes.
I have a pretty nice home brew set up. Have a kezzer with three taps and cornies. Just started doing all grain batches with your typical Home Depot cooler mash tun. The biggest issue I have right now is I don't have very good fermentation temperature control. Total I have maybe a dozen beers under my belt, nothing to the quality I hope to reach as of yet, but nothing that wasn't decent-to-good either.
VYtD3.jpg

GUpwQ.jpg

VYtD3.jpg

GUpwQ.jpg

VYtD3.jpg

GUpwQ.jpg

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
A little too much yoohoo-ey for me, but I've had worse.

quse

the pupe
Only Chocolate beer I've really had was Sam Adam's Chocolate Bock (and loved it). How do the Rogue and Young's compare?

... Not like I'll ever find them where I am, though =/

Ayinger's Brau-Weisse. Delicious, and has a very unique cap if youre into small hoarding/collecting/serial beer drinking trophies.

cap_ayinger_13.jpg

Also, I'm a guinness man myself. Nothing beats that thick, full feeling and the characteristic lack of the esophageal throat scarring CO2. Craving one (or 10) right now!

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Rogue is a great brewery. I don't think I've ever had one of their beers that I didn't enjoy.

Also, on the topic of Guinness, the best beer I've ever had was a Guinness at the Guinness brewery in Dublin. I never realized how watered down it is in the States until trying it there.

Lemmiwinks_sl

shitlord
Only Chocolate beer I've really had was Sam Adam's Chocolate Bock (and loved it). How do the Rogue and Young's compare?

... Not like I'll ever find them where I am, though =/
I would say Youngs is more smoothe and milky, while the Rogue is more "beer-like", it has more bite to it.