The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

spronk

FPS noob
Yeah the X version is a special enhanced version, thought that would be obvious. Every X enhanced game needs a patch to enhance it beyond a few trivial things the X will do automatically, just like the PS4 Pro - but as DMX said, X does it better

The real question is how many devs will bother with a lot of X enhancement? PS4 Pro is decent, but I don't think there is a game where devs went crazy wild making the Pro version insanely better. HZD etc look better but not to the point where you wouldn't wanna play just the regular PS4 version.

Its a nice QOL thing but not like the difference between going from 720p to 1080p.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Max settings on what hardware.

Max settings mean max settings, on what hardware is irrelevant. The only difference between a 1080 ti and a 1060 is performance, the visuals don't change.

The fact that they not only matched but improved on a max setting pc and have managed to do it at native 4k is impressive as hell.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Max settings mean max settings, on what hardware is irrelevant. The only difference between a 1080 ti and a 1060 is performance, the visuals don't change.

The fact that they not only matched but improved on a max setting pc and have managed to do it at native 4k is impressive as hell.

I really doubt they did. They improved on it the same way they were showing live footage while running on PCs .

And of course hardware matters or we would still be using voodoos and 486s.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
You're right, it's all fake news and Microsoft paid off Digital Foundry to lie...lol.

And of course hardware matters, but in terms of your previous question it means dick. Max settings means max settings, all better hardware does is make for better performance, which for an image quality screenshot comparison is irrelevant.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The point is, if it's a newly enhanced version versus the standard one, the "max settings" can be different themselves.

Like on the face smudges, if there's a max texture size difference that is enforced differently that PC could handle but isn't enabled.

Or there's also possible cheating that could be done by prerendering scenes with no player control.

I'd hope the latter doesn't occur but the former seems VERY likely. And at it's heart that's comparing two completely different "max settings. A Ferrari with a speed limiter that stops it from going over 30 mph is still a Ferrari, it's not suddenly a jalopy because it's got something preventing full potential.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
If there is any industry known far and wide for their unbreakable and unquestionable ethics its video game journalism.

Sulrn

Deuces
I'm still curious how this is even a debate.

The two screenshots are obviously using different texture maps. There was never a true intent to show an accurate side-by-side comparison. The message was: if you want the best looking game get the X-enabled or wait until someone hacks the texture packs and makes them patchable into your PC save.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
The point is, if it's a newly enhanced version versus the standard one, the "max settings" can be different themselves.

Like on the face smudges, if there's a max texture size difference that is enforced differently that PC could handle but isn't enabled.

Or there's also possible cheating that could be done by prerendering scenes with no player control.

I'd hope the latter doesn't occur but the former seems VERY likely. And at it's heart that's comparing two completely different "max settings. A Ferrari with a speed limiter that stops it from going over 30 mph is still a Ferrari, it's not suddenly a jalopy because it's got something preventing full potential.

The point is fucking stupid. Of course it's an enhanced version. They used the max PC assets and improved them for the X release. You guys act like you've never seen remakes or ports get better assets. The ACTUAL point is that a console that cost less than my video card is pulling native 4k, with max PC assets plus upgraded textures, pure hair, etc. and is not a slideshow. Unless you're one of these PSMR faggots it's impressive.

I'm still curious how this is even a debate.

The two screenshots are obviously using different texture maps. There was never a true intent to show an accurate side-by-side comparison. The message was: if you want the best looking game get the X-enabled or wait until someone hacks the texture packs and makes them patchable into your PC save.

You're right, the point wasn't to show a 1:1 comparison, it was to show that they've managed to take the highest settings you can currently play on the PC and make them better on a $500 console. Whether or not they can add these things to the PC doesn't even matter. The entire point was to say, "hey look, this is what TR looked like maxed out at release on PC and this is how good it looks on this console we are releasing".

Last edited:

Vaclav

The point is fucking stupid. Of course it's an enhanced version. They used the max PC assets and improved them for the X release. You guys act like you've never seen remakes or ports get better assets. The ACTUAL point is that a console that cost less than my video card is pulling native 4k, with max PC assets plus upgraded textures, pure hair, etc. and is not a slideshow. Unless you're one of these PSMR faggots it's impressive.

It's impressive for that one game, I'll agree. But for using it as an example of what EVERYTHING WILL BE it's worthless.

Personally I've already played and platinumed (I think? I'd have to check) RoTR so while it looks awesome, and it's great they did a good job on that - as far as is known right now that might be the only "exclusive remaster" besides AC (I believe that's getting an enhanced XBone X version, right?) for multiplatform games.

It would be a better point of reference to see what a normal unremastered multiplat looks like for making truly informed comparisons of how most will look.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
A PC can do it though PC should have it, unless MS is paying some stupidly amount of money for them too stay on there console.. lolz exclusivity "textures" I can see the future now *facepalm*

Vaclav

A PC can do it though PC should have it, unless MS is paying some stupidly amount of money for them too stay on there console.. lolz exclusivity "textures" I can see the future now *facepalm*

To be fair, SQEnix already did take a big bribe from them before for the title with the initial 1 yr exclusivity on it.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
If it's true, all it means is that while yes the Scorpio does have more "power" it is not as "special" as they are saying it is, swapping over too a higher resolution texture is not a simple "code enhancement", unless there using Voxels... but even thoose are limited by the "base" texture

Vaclav

You know you'll be getting a X with me.

If there's a multiplat without special treatment that looks as good as RoTR, I'll absolutely be hunting down one as soon as I can. (No P/O yet so no idea when that would be though)

Actually that makes me wonder, is it going to be regular RoTR that will do that, or will it have to be rebought for those of us that own it?

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
If there's a multiplat without special treatment that looks as good as RoTR, I'll absolutely be hunting down one as soon as I can. (No P/O yet so no idea when that would be though)

Actually that makes me wonder, is it going to be regular RoTR that will do that, or will it have to be rebought for those of us that own it?

From what I've read, it will be a patch you download, and "free".

Randin

Trakanon Raider
So here's a fucking weird leak that's been making the rounds today. Target (who, if I recall correctly, has leaked games in the past) has a page on their website for a Game of Thrones game made by Bethesda. Link.

Definitely up for another open-world rpg, but Bethesda doesn't remotely have the writing chops to pull off any sort of "political intrigue" plot.