The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Edit: let me rephrase.

Every game made for these consoles right now will be playable on the future consoles >= 10 years from now. It's fine to skip out on generations, as that will only save you time and money. The good games will bubble up.

For example, if for some reason you haven't played the Witcher 3, you will most likely be able to acquire it on the Playstation Current Version four years from now and experience the Complete Edition as it was made for the PS4. Hell, there may even be quality of life updates available for it!

Whether or not you stream it (subscribe to a service) or buy it (physical or digital download) is irrelevant.

Last edited:

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
That's the thing. There isn't going to be a console lifecycle anymore now that everything is x86. Look at everyone moving to 4k everything for some reason. Do you honestly think the games are going to run at a reasonable framerate at 4k? Of course they aren't. What's going to happen is you're going to be eager to buy the Next Console that allows you to buy the remaining N number of DLC packs for your existing games so you can play them at >= 60 fps.

Take a peek at PS NOW if you haven't already. That's the future. PlayStation Now – PS Now Subscription for 500+ PS4 & PS3 Games

Every Playstation from here on out is going to support that. Microsoft has a similar service already or in the works I'm sure.
Lol no. There will still be generations with hard cutoffs, but they will likely be BC. And PS Now ain’t even close to being viable, especially with the ISP situation in the US.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Probably done buying consoles if the path forward is going to be they upgrade it every couple years

That's straight horse shit
That’s dumb. These mid cycle updates are absolutely not required, all they are is additional options for slightly better graphics and performance. No PS4 game is going to be “PS4 Pro” exclusive or anything like that, and the original edition is still what the devs are going to be targeting, with extra features and performance tacked on for the upgraded consoles.

You can literally just pretend the upgraded versions don’t exist and it would impact you in no way

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Probably done buying consoles if the path forward is going to be they upgrade it every couple years

That's straight horse shit

Meh, I buy graphics cards for my PC just as often, and just about every one of them cost more than the X or Pro. Consoles aren't doing anything that the PC side of things hasn't been doing for decades. The important part isn't incremental upgrades, the important part is being able to play last years games on next years system. As long as they allow compatibility with older games this new path is far better than what we had before.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Anyone new or just coming back to Xbox a shitload of titles are getting “enhanced.” Most Xbox one games are getting this including some 360 games like Fallout and Oblivion (and maybe just maybe Fallout New Vegas :).

• 2Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Meh, I buy graphics cards for my PC just as often, and just about every one of them cost more than the X or Pro. Consoles aren't doing anything that the PC side of things hasn't been doing for decades. The important part isn't incremental upgrades, the important part is being able to play last years games on next years system. As long as they allow compatibility with older games this new path is far better than what we had before.

Inclined to agree, I drop 500-700 on a video card every 2-3 years and build a new rig every 3-4 years so im dumping thousands into a computer just cause and I play my consoles much more often than any of my PCs.

On the otherside i buy a new console every 3-6 years depending on cycle and it would be shorter inbetween but i dont buy anything nintendo so its just MS or Sony and which ever refresh they do.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
If Madden was on PC I'd probably be done with consoles, otherwise I'm OK trading up every 4-5 years to the next console in an ecosystem.

• 1Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>

I understand it and even don't mind much personally, but I always sit and wonder why consoles even have a loyal fanbase when every single thing that should make them easier to use than a PC is taken away.

On a console these days I need to update my game, tinker with settings and buy incremental upgrades.

It sounds very much like my PC, but my PC has better specs and controls.

I dunno... I like my PS4 Pro, and I appreciate the Switch to play Nintendo games... But I probably won't buy a console at launch again after this gen.

• 2Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
That’s kind of the deal and I agree. In fact, consoles took it a step further and charge us 50-60 a year just to play online games which is, and forever will be, free on PC.

Consoles used to be easy, plug and play, and done. Now? Decide which one to buy, which one your friends are in, patches which make console games as PC games as far as quality, and exclusives which force to buy one over another.

Thankfully, I don’t need to buy an Xbox one x unless I want a 4K player but I can buy a much cheaper X for that. Any game Microsoft makes will be on PC. So why bother. I’ll trade my one in for an S once I get my wife tanked tonight and come home with my new oled. :)

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
For anyone getting an X One X at Bestbuy you can get an Elite controller with it for $99 which isn't great but not bad either. I've heard there were some QC concerns but I've been using mine on the PC for a couple years now without any issue. One thing that sucks is it doesn't have the bluetooth connectivity that the newer Xbox controllers have so if you want wireless on PC you have to get the dongle.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I have a lot of ducking work to do today. I have to drink first. That’s a must. Then I need to buy an oled. Then I need to buy a receiver. Then I need to buy an Xbox one S. Then, I need to wipe the one and ps4, go to gamestop and trade that in for a ps4 Pro. Then I need to set all this shit up. Holy fuck. That’s a lot of work.

Drinks at 5. Bingo at 5 (let’s see how much I win to pay for some of I) then wow. A lot of fucking work. But. Worth it. Fun work. While drunk.

Also, RIP my bottle of 15 yr scotch. 750ml. That’s impressive.

• 2Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
If you're gonna blow money on the S might as well just get the good one bro. At least then you can play some 360 games in 4k or so I've heard.

(just pretend I'm the little devil UT on your shoulder)

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Newegg has the one x Scorpio edition for sale, no tax for most so you’ll save ~$25. You will not get it on release day though

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
A lot of these pre-orders are being sold based on future stock. Amazon is already telling people they aren't getting their pre-order until Dec.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah, I cancelled mine a bit ago mainly because there’s nothing on the horizon that I really care about game wise. I’ll wait for it to have a sale or for a PS4 pro price drop. Why it didn’t have a drop to coincide with the Scorpio release is classic Sony thinking their current market position is unassailable.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I cancelled mine a bit ago mainly because there’s nothing on the horizon that I really care about game wise. I’ll wait for it to have a sale or for a PS4 pro price drop. Why it didn’t have a drop to coincide with the Scorpio release is classic Sony thinking their current market position is unassailable.

Yea, only slight better looking versions of two games most have considered disappointing really isn't a great selling point. (Shadow of War and AC: Origins)

I'm sure there's more that's enhanced noticeably, but early on that's the two that were all the hubbub - and being that the interest in each seems to have flagged once each released.... what is there really to drive X sales until next year sometime?