The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Grats, Ut. :) After losing most of my home office to Hurricane Harvey, I got a couple of 43" X720Es (based on Rtings) to replace my desktop PC monitor and console TV (viewing distance approx 2 feet). Initially I got an X800D and a X720E but the X800D got a Blue Line of Death. My experiece with the X720E was so good I just replaced it with another X720E.

The real purpose of my post is to second the praise heaped on the OLED. I haven't looked into the gaming performance of the LG OLED but I almost bought the 65 on the spot looking at it while I was picking up my second Sony the other day. It was that stunning. And thin as a damn rail, which is a big concern in the new house, where the 80lbs of my 2012 model 70" Sharp seems to hang over the entire room.

If its mostly gaming a smaller TV honestly works better, its actually harder for your eyes to flick around catching details on a bigger TV unless you are sitting far back enough. I do like 4x better when I FPS on my smaller 27" computer monitor than on my 65" TV.

After having gamed a LOT on a Samsung KS8000 (mine), a Sony 900E (parents), a TCL P605 (sisters) and an LG OLED C7 (brothers) its literally no contest at all, the LG OLEDs blow every other TV far out of the water. Low input lag, amazing pop on colors, deep blacks, best HDR config, Dolby Vision support (for streaming) and pass through ATMOS make it head and shoulders better than everything under $3k for at least 2-3 years.

In 2-3 years we'll have VRR (variable refresh rate, like gSync/Freesync for PC) and HDR+ so that'll be the good gen to run towards, but right now a 55" ($1300-1500) or 65" LG OLED ($2300-2800) is the best, followed imo by either the Samsung MU8000 ($800-1100) or the TCL P607/605 ($600). For a mix of gaming and entertainment.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Trust me. It’s epic. And also sorry about Houston and Harvey. :( that sucks buddy. :( insurance pay for an oled? :)

Last edited:

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Don't know if anyone else here uses Comcast in an area that they cap data, but I had to get my cap removed this month due to getting the X. Anyway, if you are ever looking to remove your cap they are authorized to cut the rate from $50 to $25 per month for 12 months, so don't pay the $50. Sucks haing anything at all, but $25 is better than $10 for every 50gb.

• 1Like

Nija

<Silver Donator>
If you have Comcast in your area, skip all the bullshit and sign up for a business account. I average 1.4 TB downloads, with about 600 GB of uploads per month. It's mostly boring work stuff, but they don't care about data usage if you want to go crazy.

spronk

FPS noob
Don't know if anyone else here uses Comcast in an area that they cap data, but I had to get my cap removed this month due to getting the X. Anyway, if you are ever looking to remove your cap they are authorized to cut the rate from $50 to $25 per month for 12 months, so don't pay the $50. Sucks haing anything at all, but $25 is better than $10 for every 50gb.

Man there has to be some fucking collusion going on with ISPs, Cox has the EXACT same fees - 1TB cap for all home data plans, $10/50GB if you go over, or $50 for unlimited extra data. Who the fuck cares anymore about higher speeds, you just know ISPs will start shrinking data caps as a big fuck you to users.

I hit exactly 994GB this month (ended yesterday), i literally unplugged all my consoles and shit yesterday so they don't download extra stuff. Generally I'll be around 600-700GB/mo but yeah the xbox one X patches really FUCKED that last month, plus digital preloads of Battlefront 2 and a few other things on PS4.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, our overage last month was the same as paying for unlimited... $50. So we've added unlimited, and with recent rate increase we might as well tack on another $20 to get the gig service... oh wait but then I have to buy a new modem.

We've gone from cutting the cord and saying goodbye to our $180 DirecTV bill to having our $60 ISP bill balloon to potentially $180...

• 1Like

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Guess that's one good thing to be said for Spectrum - not sure where my data is at (as far as I know they don't even have something to monitor your usage), but they default to unlimited.

Fucking hate them on the TV side though, jesus they're shitty.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I saw I have two “free” months of going over the cap. Comcast also downgraded their broadcasts to straight 720p rather than 1080i which actually upscales much better (1080i) at the receiver level. My new OLED looks like garbage on premium channels. Really good on a few others. FX for American horror looks like absolute muddied shit.

So I checked out century link. Turns out I have 1gb fiber for 85 a month. Data usage limit unless I use their prism TV service. I was planning on going with the PS Vue, Netflix, and amazon prime and cut cable entirely. Now? The price is going to even out with the data cap I will lift with Comcast, but at least it won’t be a garbage ass fucking picture anymore for some of those channels. Shit, and I pay 220 a month for everything.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Oh and another thing? When I used to rent a modem from them (I know. I was just too lazy to upgrade everything but I did it) they turned on their hotspot service, on MY service, without telling me, only to notice later when looking at SSID’s to get a device on my network, and had to go into my account to actually turn it off. I was broadcasting a guest non secure connection for over a fucking month I bet.

Talk about some unethical bullshit right there.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Guess that's one good thing to be said for Spectrum - not sure where my data is at (as far as I know they don't even have something to monitor your usage), but they default to unlimited.
I've had them since long before Time Warner sold off their cable business, and never understood the complaints. They've always given me 33-50% more bandwidth than I pay for, and there's no cap at all. You actually can see how much you're using in your account page; I've gone over 1TB a couple times and they never bat an eye.

But yeah, their TV is retardedly expensive and the picture quality is shit. I cut the cord ~15 years ago, but I see what my parents have and how much they're paying for it... it's ridiculous.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I live in New England so I have unlimited Comcast internet. Any complaints I have with them definitely don't extend to their internet service. I cut the cord so I stream Netflix and psvue and anything random I just torrent. Save roughly $100/month ditching the cable from them.

Also psvue picture quality seems better to me.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
We need more competition in the Midwest. Fuckers dominate here. And no other cable companies can come in and compete. I thought monopolies were illegal but I guess regional monopolies are just fine and dandy as long as another TYPE of service can compete. I’d like to throw everyone in the mix but these guys are colluding for sure. Hands down.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
We need more competition in the Midwest. Fuckers dominate here. And no other cable companies can come in and compete. I thought monopolies were illegal but I guess regional monopolies are just fine and dandy as long as another TYPE of service can compete. I’d like to throw everyone in the mix but these guys are colluding for sure. Hands down.

Duopoly is what it's called, and ya it's legal grrrrr

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Just installed my new hdmi cable to connect receiver to tv. Didn’t have a 2.0 18gb cable! So it wasn’t passing hdr and it was upscaling 1080p. Holy shit!!!! Holy shit!!!!!!!!! Holy shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy SHIT!!!!!!!!!! Make sure to use correct cabling!!!!! Oh my god!!!!!!

The cable I just bought from your link connected from X to TV for now will be ok tho right? Figured you meant for your receiver.

Yeah we have massive competition here in DC so my internet is never above $100 for 500mb up/DL.

No caps at all.

Cox
Comcast
Verizon
Att

Think a few more small ones too.

We use Fios it rocks.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider

Not only is it legal, but they are protected by the government. AT&T owns our area (with comcast basically grandfathered in before phone and cable were basically one and the same), and AT&T takes people to court and their dogs in the state legislature shut anybody trying to bring in alternatives. The most annoying thing: it's mostly electrical and phone coops trying to cover areas AT&T refuses to run internet to (which I live in one such area).

Luckily between the Net Neutrality part where it got ruled as a utility and our Governor pulling his head out of his ass and declaring that it's ok for electric and phone coops to do that, I'm getting 1 gig fiber in about two months. No more 4g LTE to game on and i can finally cut the... direct TV

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
if democrats ran on a policy of "Fuck Internet ISPs and Mobile Phone Providers, we're gonna regulate the shit out of those fuckers" they'd win 90% of the vote

they'd get the last 10% if they also forced Papa Johns to stop making shitty pizza

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I actually considered voting Hilary just to keep the Net Neutrality momentum going... That was in January of 16, then I saw 2 seconds of her and remembered how much of a cunt bag she was...

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
The cable I just bought from your link connected from X to TV for now will be ok tho right? Figured you meant for your receiver.

Yeah we have massive competition here in DC so my internet is never above $100 for 500mb up/DL.

No caps at all.

Cox
Comcast
Verizon
Att

Think a few more small ones too.

We use Fios it rocks.
Pay $80 well this month it went to $85 for cox. I'm a fan of Cox over Comcast