The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Best Buy black friday ad is up, overall
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/electronics/black-friday/pcmcat225600050002.c?id=pcmcat225600050002

video games
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/black-friday/sale-ad/?category=video+games

Uncharted 4 Lost Legacy and Horizon Zero Dawn are live at $15.99 (GCU prices) the rest all will have to wait till black friday. Remember, if you are elite you get 2-3 day early access, every year I get all my xmas shopping done the sunday or monday before thanksgiving with a few clicks.

I've already got Injustice 2, Forza 7, Wolfy 2, Yakuza 1, BOTW, NFS, and some controllers in mind

Tempted to replace my existing Onkyo receiver with the one on that BF ad since it’ll do 4K, etc... Could probably add it to my Christmas list since my mom is starting to bug the shit outta me for it.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Some very big things to note that I think everyone can learn from my purchasing experience and the work I did on the back end to not make mistakes, and I still made a few.

1) Make sure any receiver you purchase has at least 3 HDCP 2.2 Compliant inputs. (Set top, Xbox One X, PS Pro)

2) Know this: Dolby Vision HDR is 10X better than HDR10. Dolby is not open source and it's a licensed product. HDR10 IS open source. A lot of the new movies and such will support Dolby Vision. (Stranger Things Season 2 in Dolby Vision.... My God...) BUT... Xbox One S, Xbox One X, and PS Pro do NOT support Dolby Vision. So, if you want to enoy Dolby Vision based HDR (And trust me, you do) Your S or X will not play it, but will instead revert to HDR10. If you want Dolby Vision support for your 4k UHD player, make sure you purchase a separate player that supports Dolby Vision - Unless Microsoft gets off their ass to support it. Picture Dolby Vision and HDR10 to be a bit of a standards war.

3) If you purchase an LG OLED (The B7A supports all 3 formats of HDR), your best experience will be to play Netflix through the app on the set (Same as Amazon Prime, etc) and use the ARC/HDMI input (This is input 2 on the LG B7A) to send Dolby 5.1 back to the receiver. It is a very simple set up. When you watch Dolby Vision content through Netflix, thank me later :)

4) Upgrade your cables. I am learning this now and just ordered two sets of 2.0 HDMI high bandwidth cables on Amazon. DO NOT get these in these in the store. No need for expensive cables. Here is a link to what I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NQ9OQU2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah it looks like the $250 Onkyo has HDCP 2.2 on inputs 1, 2, and 3. So that’d take care of a potential Xbox One X, DVR, and PS4 Pro. Which I have none of really now (well I have a DVR), but who cares!

Utnayan Utnayan looks like I’m going to be out about $30k - $40k so I’m cranking up the X-mas list to the fam this year. No holding back on pride.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
My TV only supports HDR10 unfortunately. Got a hell of a deal on it so I’m not regretting it or anything, and on the bright side I don’t have to worry about any of that

spronk

FPS noob
Everything is still a mess at the top high end. No console supports Dolby vision, but Netflix only supports Xbox for ATMOS and not LG/Samsung web apps. Netflix supports Dolby Vision but only for LG WebApps, and NOT for Xbox (which doesn't do Dolby Vision). I think there are problems sending ATMOS over ARC, don't believe it has enough bandwidth. Thats why I tend to use my PC for everything video related, I can usually tweak it to do everything including ATMOS, DV, or HDR10.

The big, massive difference between DV and HDR is that HDR is fixed per stream, you set the HDR brightness level once for a video stream and thats it. For DV its changeable anytime which makes way more sense, a scene with a ton of blacks and a white light will want one light setting whereas a very colorful scene will want a different one. HDR10+ is coming soon and fixes that and remains open source so by next year I think you'll see most TVs and movies do HDR+. Still doesn't help for the ATMOS problem though, which is a huge improvement over 5.1.

Anyways Xbox one X vs PS4 Pro for FF15, minor differences but the X version is clearly better at rendering backgrounds and stuff. Oh well, never finished the game but own it digitally on PS4 so gonna finish it on there someday

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah it looks like the $250 Onkyo has HDCP 2.2 on inputs 1, 2, and 3. So that’d take care of a potential Xbox One X, DVR, and PS4 Pro. Which I have none of really now (well I have a DVR), but who cares!

Utnayan Utnayan looks like I’m going to be out about $30k - $40k so I’m cranking up the X-mas list to the fam this year. No holding back on pride.

I highly recommend the following (It's what I did.... because the receiver supports Dolby Vision as well)

Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A770

Trust me. You will want Dolby Vision support. I cannot stress this enough.

Get the OLED B7A. This TV is the best thing I have ever had the pleasure of viewing anything on.

For a player, do not use the XBox One X. This instead would be my recommendation:

LG’s 4K Blu-ray player supports Dolby Vision for better HDR

And THAT was my mistake. I bought this Xbox One S not knowing the player didn't support Dolby Vision and I am not sure if it ever will - same goes for XBox One X. I also didn't realize just how much of a difference there is in Dolby Vision over HDR10. (It is ridiculously better) - And with that, I didn't know everything is starting to be mastered in Dolby Vision, including theaters which have Dolby Vision activated theaters - of which I will definitely go see the new Star Wars movie in)

The player is the LG Up970 - $199.

It's going to be good to have support for everything. HDR10 and Dolby Vision since we are gamers, but for 4k viewing via a player, that player above is the way to go, and NOT a player from a console until they support Dolby Vision (Which they need to get off their ass and do.. like now)

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
So question on that one because I haven't done anything with Atmos but now I have the receiver for it. I have ceiling mounted Klipshe - (Front Left and Right, Surround left and right) and the center channel in the center. Down firing sub to the right of my equipment stand/rack. An L-Shaped couch. What is the best way here to add it? Maybe two floor stand or entertainment center speakers firing up to the ceiling paced to the right and left of the set? I was looking at these.

R-14SA Dolby Atmos® Speaker | Klipsch

spronk

FPS noob
btw if you wanna play around with HDR10, Dolby Vision, ATMOS, etc but don't wanna spend the $1500-2500 on a LG OLED or want a second TV for office/bedroom I highly recommend the TCL 55" 4k TV. Its $599 at best buy, may go cheaper for BF, The P607 is the same thing as the P605 model at best buy except the latter has a dumb remote vs the smart remote of the 607.
TCL P Series 2017 P607 4K HDR TV Review (55P607): One Fantastic TV For Its Price -
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55...dynamic-range-roku-tv/5878705.p?skuId=5878705

Obviously its not gonna be as good as the LG or Samsung top of the line's but I plan on getting one to use in guest bedroom and to play around with video settings. The Samsung MU8000 is also gonna be $900 at best buy on BF and another great < $1k option, 2017 TV model of KS8000 I believe.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I highly recommend the following (It's what I did.... because the receiver supports Dolby Vision as well)

Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A770

Trust me. You will want Dolby Vision support. I cannot stress this enough.

Get the OLED B7A. This TV is the best thing I have ever had the pleasure of viewing anything on.

For a player, do not use the XBox One X. This instead would be my recommendation:

LG’s 4K Blu-ray player supports Dolby Vision for better HDR

And THAT was my mistake. I bought this Xbox One S not knowing the player didn't support Dolby Vision and I am not sure if it ever will - same goes for XBox One X. I also didn't realize just how much of a difference there is in Dolby Vision over HDR10. (It is ridiculously better) - And with that, I didn't know everything is starting to be mastered in Dolby Vision, including theaters which have Dolby Vision activated theaters - of which I will definitely go see the new Star Wars movie in)

The player is the LG Up970 - $199.

It's going to be good to have support for everything. HDR10 and Dolby Vision since we are gamers, but for 4k viewing via a player, that player above is the way to go, and NOT a player from a console until they support Dolby Vision (Which they need to get off their ass and do.. like now)

Yeah, my KS8000 will support HDR10+, at least on App, not sure about on inputs though. Need to see clarification. It won’t ever do Dolby Vision and I’m not in market for another TV for a while.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, my KS8000 will support HDR10+, at least on App, not sure about on inputs though. Need to see clarification. It won’t ever do Dolby Vision and I’m not in market for another TV for a while.

Gotchya. Yeah ok so hopefully HDR10+ will be good, but also will allow for an easy firmware update for existing receivers.

With that said, I still have not upgraded my PS4 to a PS Pro yet. I have a Vanilla Xbox One and 2tb PS4 to trade in for a Pro. How is input lag on HDR titles?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Odd question, but what is the remote like for the B7A, Utnayan Utnayan ? My last LG had this smart thing you waved around like a wand and fuck that thing.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Odd question, but what is the remote like for the B7A, Utnayan Utnayan ?

Actually it's really good ha :) I wasn't expecting to be able to move an arrow around the set like a mouse by pointing the remote at the TV. You can also can just press standard buttons. All on screen back/forward menu navigation, and it has a Netflix and Amazon Prime button to immediately go into those apps, which also sends audio through arc and my receiver automatically detects when devices are turned on or off and switches automatically.

Pretty sweet to be able to hit the Netflix button, watch a show, turn that off, use my controller to turn on a console, and it automatically switches inputs on the receiver.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I wouldn't recommend that Yamaha receiver simply because it doesn't have pre-outs. You'll be constrained later.

I'm a huge Marantz fan - I would go with a SR5012. Marantz US | SR5012

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Some very big things to note that I think everyone can learn from my purchasing experience and the work I did on the back end to not make mistakes, and I still made a few.

1) Make sure any receiver you purchase has at least 3 HDCP 2.2 Compliant inputs. (Set top, Xbox One X, PS Pro)

2) Know this: Dolby Vision HDR is 10X better than HDR10. Dolby is not open source and it's a licensed product. HDR10 IS open source. A lot of the new movies and such will support Dolby Vision. (Stranger Things Season 2 in Dolby Vision.... My God...) BUT... Xbox One S, Xbox One X, and PS Pro do NOT support Dolby Vision. So, if you want to enoy Dolby Vision based HDR (And trust me, you do) Your S or X will not play it, but will instead revert to HDR10. If you want Dolby Vision support for your 4k UHD player, make sure you purchase a separate player that supports Dolby Vision - Unless Microsoft gets off their ass to support it. Picture Dolby Vision and HDR10 to be a bit of a standards war.

3) If you purchase an LG OLED (The B7A supports all 3 formats of HDR), your best experience will be to play Netflix through the app on the set (Same as Amazon Prime, etc) and use the ARC/HDMI input (This is input 2 on the LG B7A) to send Dolby 5.1 back to the receiver. It is a very simple set up. When you watch Dolby Vision content through Netflix, thank me later :)

4) Upgrade your cables. I am learning this now and just ordered two sets of 2.0 HDMI high bandwidth cables on Amazon. DO NOT get these in these in the store. No need for expensive cables. Here is a link to what I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NQ9OQU2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just bought cable for X.

Also the game that has impressed me the most was what Bethesda did with a game made in 2006 Oblivion and 2008 Fallout 3. The landscapes and building textures look like the damn Skyrim Special edition.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I wouldn't recommend that Yamaha receiver simply because it doesn't have pre-outs. You'll be constrained later.

God dammit, I have a Yamaha receiver but I don't know what this means. How bad did I fuck myself?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
God dammit, I have a Yamaha receiver but I don't know what this means. How bad did I fuck myself?

You didn't. Pre-outs are for if you are an extreme audiophile and want a completely separate Amp outside of the receiver. If you have HDCP 2.2 HDMI inputs and DV/HDR10 pass through, that's all you need to worry about. Possibly Zone coverage if you want to have music somewhere else in the house. What model do you have?

I am completely and 100% impressed with my Yamaha A770 and that's the most I have ever spent on a receiver.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
You didn't. Pre-outs are for if you are an extreme audiophile and want a completely separate Amp outside of the receiver. If you have HDCP 2.2 HDMI inputs and DV/HDR10 pass through, that's all you need to worry about. Possibly Zone coverage if you want to have music somewhere else in the house. What model do you have?

I am completely and 100% impressed with my Yamaha A770 and that's the most I have ever spent on a receiver.

Eh, I don't care that much then. It sounds great to me.

I forget the model I'd have to look when I get home, it's a 250 dollar variant though.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ok may not have HDCP 2.2 inputs so if you ever go 4k, and get a 4k HDR player and pass that through the receiver, you will want to upgrade.

On a side note, I used an older HDMI cable to go from my receiver to the set (Arc as well) and in Stranger things season one (Rewatched with my wife) I was getting sparklies all over the place that looked like stars at the intro scene for stranger things. Guess what? Turns out this means my HDMI cable isn't high speed. Which means I cannot even imagine what I have been missing because it looked good even with the garbage cable! I am REALLY fired up now to upgrade that cable. I probably missed out on HDR in the Spiderman Movie we watched too and it maybe only upscaled from 1080p due to lack of bandwidth in that cable pass. I cannot wait until tomorrow!!! I knew SOMETHING was off, but it looked good anyway, but now...

Yeah. I also noticed a lot of pixelization on PS4. Glad I bought a bunch of those and will just replace all of them.

Rookie error.